1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Ranking the position groups

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

How would you rank the position groups? From lowest level of concern to highest level of concern i.e.

DLine - Watt, Wilfork, Covington, Nix...they're good

CB-Starters, including the rookie, are good. The depth is decent. Giving up big plays is still a concern

MLB - So far, Cushing looks like his old self and Mohammed is avoiding big mistakes. B-Mac will only get better

WR- We know what to expect from Hopkins, even if he's getting double teams. Nate Washington seems like a reliable possession receiver. Shorts is a wild card. A homerun waiting to happen. Would love to see those three on the field at the same time for an extended period of time.

OLB - A lot depends on Clowney but Simon and Ankrah are not bad. The team really needs Clowney back though. They will benefit from having a solid D-line.

S - Q Demps was signed for a reason - the depth stinks

QB - Hoyer is a poor man's Schaub. He's not going to impress you with much but looks good enough in practice to make you think twice about benching him.

OL - The starters are pretty good but without Brown and Brooks they looked awful.

TE - Graham looks good in camp, CJ looks bad in preseason, Ryan Griffin looks like he can catch but might lose his job to UDFA Khari Lee if he remains invisible

RB - This would have been one of the strongest groups if the starter was playing. The backups have looked like backups so far.

2. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Man, what's up with CJ? Dude was supposed to be the next Gronk, but I'm not sure if he's even 1/8th the player he is.

Having reliable TE's helps out shaky QB's tremendously.

3. Buck Turgidson

By height.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

As bad as the QB situation is, it's not the worst position group on the team

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You're a tremendous slouch...

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I feel the same. He's a terrible blocker (worse than OD, who was never really supposed to be a blocker) and at best a below average receiver for a TE. He's been a huge disappointment based on what I thought he would be.

7. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

If you want to rank them, I'll do it as such;

#1. WR Corp - Hopkins as a legit #1, Nate and Shorts great complimentary WRs, Mumph and Strong young guns that have great potential.

#2. CB Corp. - Jjo & Kareem one of the better duos, Kjo looking like he'll be a stud, and you've got Rolle, Morris, Bouye, and now Charles James. All young dudes with a lot of potential under team control.

#3. D-line. - Watt & Wilfork guys who have done it consistently. Crick is improving and I expect big things. Covington is looking a lot better than his draft position, and I hope for Pagans return to health and conditional improvements. Nix has been looking pretty good as well, and I have big plans for him if he continues to improve and stay healthy.

#4. LB Group - Outside you've got Whitney he looks to be improving, Simon who's shown flashes, and a hopeful full return of Clowney at some point in the season. You don't have a 4th OLB however, and I'm not sure that guy is currently on the roster. At ILB you've got Cush looking of old so far, Mohamed who's going to continue to progress and be a major asset in coverage, and you're hoping McKinney continues to progress and flash like he's been. Tuggle is good on special teams, and maybe you keep Dent because of his experience. You've got 3 potential starters at ILB and some good depth.

#5. O-line. You've got stalworths at LT, RT, and RG. Jones looks to be transition back to his natural position well. LG is their for Sua`Filo to take when he's healthy. Jeff Adams is your supposed swing tackle, and you've got depth at Center. Of which you hope those backup C's can play guard. I can't wait for Quess to be back at 100% health, he'll improve our depth ten fold. Otherwise, I'm worried at LG and backup Tackle.

#6. QB. Hoyer is your starter for now. Maybe he'll preform well in this system. OB did coach a terrible Fitzpatrick to his best season as a starter. Mallet has potential, but apparently hasn't done enough in practice/qb room to earn the nod. Savage seems to have the most upside with his ability to sling it with power and touch. Needs to work on reading the defense faster though. You could have something, or you may not have anything at all.

#7a. TE. They'll only carry 3 again, and it will be the same 3 as last year. Graham looks fully healthy and should be a good pass target, maybe he'll show up like he did in Kubiaks system. CJ has said that last year was extremely overwhelming and now in his 2nd stint everything is coming to him much quicker and easier. I look for a big jump for him. Griffin has shown that he can catch, but he's been inconsistent to say the least. I look for improvement all around.

#7b. RB. This would normally be a strength with Foster being healthy, but until he returns you can't rely on this group. Blue was average at best last year, but has flashed better vision and growth this pre-season. Grimes is probably your best back in space, and Hilliard looks like he can pound the rock when called upon. I don't think Chris Polk makes the team. All the other guys can do what he can or better, and they also have better STs value.

#8. Safety. Your starters are completely new. Moore has looked lost and Stevie Brown looks to not even make the team with how bad/invisible he's been. Pleasant has always been liked, and has been making plays and is a good STer. Hal is still transitioning to the position, but has a lot of potential. Demps was just signed, and already looks to be taking the SS position and he hasn't been here a week. I hope this group pulls it together, but it doesn't look pretty right now.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

It will be interesting who the Texans pick up after they announce their 53 man roster.

The OL needs help. Without Foster, they are exposed as at being below average to average on the run.

The TEs as a group are below average blockers.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That's sad, then, because we have one of the weakest set of receivers in the league. I like where Hopkins is headed and have always liked Shorts. But most teams have more talent there than we do, especially when you factor in TE (which you should IMO).

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

#1 Punting.

Lechler is a beast.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Can we try him under center?

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I feel like O-line is the weakest part of the team at this point. Disappointing because you have a 1st rounder-2nd rounder-3rd rounder-3rd rounder-7th rounder supposed to be starters, and the 7th rounder is looking like the 2nd best player for now. Brooks obviously can become pro-bowl caliber, but Ben Jones at C and the clusterf**k at LG are really putting a damper on things right now.

Can we get Wilfork to give us some spot minutes at LG?

13. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

The TE group should not be lumped into the WR group. They have very different skill sets, and very different roles on the team. Completely different game between the two.

I'm not sure what you're seeing in the WR group. Hopkins will be at a minimum a top 10 receiver this year. Shorts is the perfect #2 WR, and Washington is still a very good slot. Mumphery is showing up beyond what his tape in college showed, and Strong has a very high ceiling and is progressing well. You've also got talent at the group that still won't even make this team, that could easily make most any other team in the league. I can't think of any team in the league that can go 4 to 5 deep on their WR depth chart and have guys that will contribute. 3 maybe and that isn't common. We by far have at a minimum a top 3 WR group.

This is the best WR group the Texans have every had. By a long shot.

14. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Texans have to have one of the best group of recievers in the NFL. I have no clue what this guy has been watching either on ABC or HBO they look outstanding all around.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

He should be our QB. Using his foot to kick to our receiving corp would probably pan out better than Hoyer or Mallett at this point. :p