1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coach K: James Harden ‘has been as good a leader as we’ve had’ for Team USA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Omer, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Omer

Omer Member

When James Harden isn’t busy declaring himself to be the best basketball player alive, he’s evidently been as impressive as ever in the way he’s handled his business with Team USA this summer.

Harden figures to be one of the focal points offensively with Kevin Durant out of the picture, and he’s taken on a leadership role with the team that had USA Basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski singing his praises after practice in New York on Tuesday.

“James has been as good a leader as we’ve had for this team,” Krzyzewski said. “He has a great personality. He is an upbeat guy, smart, and he’s obviously very, very talented. With this group, especially after Kevin left, he has asserted himself even more as an older guy. I know him, he knows me, because we have worked together. He’s really one of our key guys. There is no question about it.”

Interestingly enough, the comments about Harden followed a response from Coach K about the leadership of Derrick Rose — something which isn’t necessary with this team, both because of Rose’s need to focus on getting right from a basketball standpoint, as well as due to having others who are perfectly capable of filling that role.

“Well, not so much leadership,” Krzyzewski said of Rose’s contribution thus far. “I think he’s done a really good job. He needs to keep finding himself and his rhythm and not be worried about leading a team. Harden and Curry are really good with that, but Derrick’s done a good job.”

Krzyzewski doesn’t know if Harden going to Houston from Oklahoma City helped in his maturation, but he sure seems thrilled with the way Harden has performed for Team USA this summer.

“I don’t how maturity develops when I’m not around it all the time,” Krzyzewski said. “I just know that he’s one of the best players in the NBA. And having this responsibility here will only make him better. These guys get better after playing in this, because they go to places that they don’t necessarily go to on their own teams, whether it be in a subordinate role at times, a leadership role, the key player, the good talker, or whatever. James checks every box. I love James. We have a great, great relationship. That communication between the two of us can translate to even better communication with the guys on the court.”

Harden says he’s learned he can be that leader in recent years, and conversations he’s had with Krzyzewski have energized him to take on that persona with the extremely talented Team USA roster.

“I’m capable of leading a team,” Harden said. “Obviously, I’m still learning and have a long way to go, but the first couple of steps is already there. So, trying to be more vocal is part of my leadership role, especially on this team. Guys have the talent but guys are kind of shy and might not want to talk. Coach K had plenty of talks with me, (telling me to) make sure you’re vocal, make sure guys hear you. So, that’s what I tried to do.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....am-usa/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

2. PeacePeace

PeacePeace Member

3. rocketseagles07

I can't wait to see how many comments there are on this in comparison to the number of comments when he said he was the best player in the league. It's s*** on the rockets season and people are having a field day

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I'm very impressed with how he has handled himself post playoff meltdown. Obviously, we have to see how he leads the Rockets before assessing a final grade but I'm extremely optimistic based on his combination of humble but confident and most importantly hungry attitude this summer.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Other media outlets will somehow find a way to negatively spin this. Maybe they'll throw some shade at Dwight while they're at it, too.

6. traveler

traveler Member

This team is talented and Harden is the captain and leader of it. Houston is lucky to have him play for the Rockets.

7. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Coach K for Rockets head coach. Make it happen Les.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Coach K and Harden sit alone at lunch. That's why KD left.

2 people like this.
  9. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

Coach K you have done all you can in college. Time to come Houston and take on the challenge of leading harden and Howard to a championship. I don't care that there is zero chance of it happening....just focus on how awesome that would be.

McHale out and Coach K in.....you just jizzed in your pants didn't you?

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Carl Herrera faints.

1 person likes this.
  11. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

When Coach K talks, it's wise to listen... Great sign that he has such positive things to say about James. Rox fans know that he is capable of being one of the Top Players & Leaders in the NBA which is why we haven't lost any faith in him.

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

13. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

its fun watching him grow as a player. this team is in good hands. if he and dwight stay together... someone will shake out and join houston and we'll have a shot. ...as if we don't already have a legit shot.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The Pacers were next, so you could say some of that influence is based off potential.

Plus, if the boards were a reflection of the media outside, there's a lot of **** being thrown at Harden within it's own fanbase. "I don't like his character"...."no defense"..."too fat"..."too much strip club mentions"..."hero ball"..."bad leadership"

If the fanbase isn't behind James, why should the media break suit?

15. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

What a terrible teammate

16. baubo

baubo Member

I'm shocked no one has bothered with something about his crappy defense yet.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

But I thot he was haren ballhog???

18. Panda23

Panda23 Member

he so selfie he say roll players are roll players

19. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Fan boards have always been cesspools of irrational comments.

20. NotChandlerParsons

I wonder how the non-cornerstones of Team USA feel about this.