1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: Texans plan to cut Andre Johnson if he refuses pay cut

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by joeson332, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Do you think AJ will remember all the cutthroat moves the Pats have made over the years and not sign with them?

Geez louise, you guys are such drama queens. These are grown men; they'll be OK...

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

If you don't think all those "cut-throat" moves haven't affected the Pats, you're delusional. Just because you sign with a team doesn't mean you've forgotten how they'll drop you like a bad habit the minute they don't like the "contract" they offered you.

3. mick fry

mick fry Member

Has that stopped the Pats from signing and winning? How many FA's were saying "I wanna sign with the Texans because they will keep me long past my due worth?"

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The second the Kubiak style "good ole boy" network ends, we have people start mourning its loss.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'll gladly take that net effect that allows you to build teams that are consistently excellent over 15 years.

Also, in the NFL, every team drops players like bad habits.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Didn't they just win the Superbowl?

This is a business and every player (aside from maybe Steve Smith) knows it. Hell, Andre himself was on TV last night saying he understands it and wished the Texans well.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think the Texans are still regarded among the best in the league when it comes to treated players fairly. Aside from Ahmad Green and Dunta Robinson they seem to love us. Daniel Manning had no problem coming back. Players that leave, like Barwin, don't seem to have anything bad to say. Johnathon Joseph said a ton of positive things when he signed here. I think FA's love us.

8. rockets13champs

Lets do Johnson for Marshall

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Texans won't cut Johnson until they're sure no trade will be made.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/574307421201559552">March 7, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Which is the right thing to do. Texans have all the leverage in this scenario, they could theoretically keep him if they want to.

11. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

If you ask me, it's pretty classless. Let the man go play where he wants.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What's best for the franchise is infinitely more important than the wishes of one soon to be former player.

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've heard it is pretty common for teams to do things like wait and not mention anything until after all the free agent dollars have been spent and then demand a player restructure or he will be cut (with nobody having cash left to sign him).

AJ's maybe going to sign with Indy? This is a good way to screw them, because they can't lock in exact cost figures, and have to set aside a nebulous "cloud" of free agent money for AJ - they can't line up their cap space to the exact dollar.

I agree it's pretty nasty to do, but that is football. There used to be one nice guy team in the league and we all saw how well it worked out for the Texans. Now there are none.

The money's great, but I'm glad I don't work in pro football. It's more cutthroat and back-stabby than the social ladder for high school girls.

If you like football, you just need to hold your nose this time of year.

14. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

how long can texans wait before cutting him?

15. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah... it has really hurt the Patriots LMFAO.

You should find a better example because players want to play for New England because they are the model franchise in all of sports with a 15 year run that is second to none.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

They can wait as long as they like.

17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

What a bunch of drama for a 34 year old WR who looked pretty mediocre last season. Come back to me when AJ chooses to return the bonuses that still count on the cap. Texans are supposed to cut the guy loose to play for another team because it's the "right thing to do" and at the same time have a $7.3 dead cap space hit? Guy's getting overpaid at this point in his career and gets all the targets he can handle while playing on a winning team. Why is that a terrible thing?

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Until they need the money, basically.

So either...

1) They find an FA they need to pay for

or

2) The season starts

19. Progs

Progs Member

Good. Texans should do what's best for them 1st.

20. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

I meant when do they have to drop him by before AJs contract is guaranteed for 2015?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.