1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Milwaukee Bucks Should Trade For Tracy McGrady

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketman2000, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

Please lock if already posted. Thought this was an ok read so I placing on the board to share and see what you guys think. I don't think this trade is attractive as the Philly trade but if can get the more teams we have bidding against each other for T-MAC the better.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/318091-the-milwaukee-bucks-should-trade-for-tracy-mcgrady

The inevitable has happened to the Milwaukee Bucks. After starting the season with an 8-3 record, they have fallen on hard times and currently sit third in the Central Division with a record of 12-18.

Milwaukee's early season success was highlighted by rookie Brandon Jennings' 55 point statement game against the Golden State Warriors. It appeared the Bucks had the steal of the draft and the league's next great point guard.

While Jennings is leading the team in scoring and assists at 19.5 points and 6.1 assists per game, he isn't receiving much help from the rest of the roster. Michael Redd, most notably, is having a difficult time adjusting to Jennings' game and the up-tempo style he brings to the team.

This is nothing new for Redd or fans of the team. He struggled meshing his style with former point guards T.J. Ford, Mo Williams, and Ramon Sessions. Ford and Williams were traded, while Sessions was allowed to leave in free agency.

Like Jennings, all three prefer to play an up-tempo style of play and can score the ball as easily as they can dish it to their teammates. Redd's strong suit is being a jump-shooter and nothing more. Due to injuries, he's unable to put the ball on the floor and get to the hoop on a regular basis.

A knee injury caused him to miss the start of the season as well as a few weeks once he initially came back from the original injury. Redd has only played in 14 of the team's 30 games, making only six starts. His 11.1 points per game this season is over nine points under his career average of 20.3. He and Jennings don't play together often and when they do, the offense is very painful to watch.

With Tracy McGrady and the Houston Rockets having a fall out, the Bucks should make a serious effort to trade for the disgruntled star. Although McGrady may not be the player he once was, he would fit into the Bucks' offense much better than Redd currently does.

The Bucks would not be risking too much trading for McGrady. His contract expires at the end of the season, and Milwaukee would then have more financial flexibility if he leaves. It also gives him time to play with Jennings and the rest of the young Bucks roster to see if he would be a good fit long-term for the team.

Although the Rockets would like to trade McGrady for an expiring contract, getting Redd wouldn't be a horrible idea for them. He is under contract until after the 2011 season and would be a nice compliment for Yao Ming when he returns. He would give the Rockets a great shooter and give more room for Yao to work in the post.

The two contracts don't quite match up, so the Bucks would have to include more players than just Redd.

Charlie Bell could give the Rockets another solid jump shooter, although he is under contract for two seasons after the 2010 season. He doesn't make a large salary, so he could be a viable option.

Joe Alexander is also another player that could be dealt from Milwaukee. He has fallen out of favor with coach Scott Skiles and hasn't lived up to expectations for the Bucks since they made him the eighth overall pick in the 2008 draft. He is currently injured but his contract expires at the end of the season.

Luke Ridnour would be a third possibility to be traded, although that seems unlikely. His $6-plus million contract expires after the season, but he has been a key member of the Bucks' bench and has played well when paired on the floor with Jennings.

The Bucks could also throw in a first-round draft pick to the Rockets to make the trade more tempting. Milwaukee is a young team and they are in a position where they need to add quality veteran players, not take a chance on another rookie that may or may not pan out.

A package of Redd, Alexander, and a first-round pick for McGrady could be a win-win for both teams. While fans of the Rockets may not find it appealing, they need to look at it both in the short and long-term for the team. They receive another shooter to pair with Yao, get salary relief, and a likely lottery pick in the 2010 draft.

The Bucks get a former scoring champ looking to prove his former team wrong in their evaluation on his current talents. If it works out, the Bucks could have another star to pair with their Rookie of the Year candidate. If McGrady is a bust, they will have an immense amount of payroll to build upon their current roster heading into the future.

Even if the Bucks can't make a deal for McGrady, it is time for them to move on from Michael Redd. Redd is a great person off the court and still possesses a great deal of talent on the court, but he has run off three talented point guards. The franchise can't allow him to do the same to a fourth. Brandon Jennings has taken over as the face of the franchise from Redd in the fan's eyes, and it's time the franchise views Jennings the same way.

2. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I get the feeling that Morey would rather trade for proven young talent instead of rolling the dice on a draft pick if we're gonna eat a large contract.
    Still, I love all the trade scenarios...makes for an interesting winter.

3. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

He is describing what we absolutely don't need. LMFAO, he would absolutely NOT fit on this team.
    I would hate to have this guy on our team, and I doubt this ever happens!

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I'm not to thrilled with anyone the Bucks could throw at us especially Redd being injury prone. This being said a lottery pick and a shot at Wall would make me consider a deal

5. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Just bad ...
    Redd = No defense, no pass, no penetration, no transition
    Is Charlie Bell, Joe Alexander, Luke Ridnour better than anyone on the rockets roster at their respective positions?
    Specifically, why do we need Joe Alexander, when we have "Houston’s Chase Budinger: What Joe Alexander Was Supposed To Be (http://www.emptythebench.com/2009/11/05/chase-budinger-exceeding-expectations/)" ...

6. BasketballReasons

^Exactly. Redd doesn't attack the basket, he just shoots 3's. Needs the ball at his hands and hates playing an up-tempo style.
    Hey, I think I know a guy just like him!

7. janpwnz

janpwnz Member

hmmm we don't need Michael Redd who runs on one leg. KTHX :D

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Considering the Bucks 1st round pick is likely top 10-15, this should be a no-brainer if they actually offers their pick. Redd's contract sucks, but probably worth the impact player Morey can draft given the depth of next year's draft.

I'm not sure the Bucks want to get rid of Redd that badly. But hey, why not if they do.

9. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

The best part about trade season is these articles that start out describing the level of suck for a certain player and then follow up apologizing as to why said player would be a great fit for the Rockets.

"He would give them a great shooter" is now only second to "he [Curry] would give them a center to backup Yao" on the list of pathetic generalities for trade advocacy. At least try to be creative.

10. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

If they offer their draft pick, we better be talking unprotected!?!?! Other wise Hell NO!!!!

-RB

11. Vienna Calling

If the Bucks keep sliding, their first round pick could turn out to be a top 5 pick. It's hard to imagine that they are willing to give up this chance just to get rid of Redd.
    As mentioned above, I'm not sure if the Bucks want to get rid of Redd that badly. Even if they create cap space by dumping Redd, it's not like they are one big free agent signing away from contending. So their only option probably is rebuilding through the draft, which makes it highly unlikely that they will deal their lottery pick.

12. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Bogut anyone? I think he could make us a playoff force to be reckoned with THIS season while being that rock backup center next season. Hell, with Bogut we might even be able to let Scola walk at the end of this season and not miss a beat. I can't wait to see Landry and Yao together next year!!

13. monster

monster Member

They just said that Redd has never done well in an up-tempo offense. Why would we want him? We could keep TMac.

14. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

We don't necessarily need to start Redd; throw him in the game when we need jump shooting, or just for a change of pace.

Also, he's another chip that Morey can play in a future trade. If he has value to other teams, he is worth having for us.

15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Concerning Redd of the Bucks, I have the impression that he is, in more recent times, injured as much as he is available and seems not to be the player he once was ( sort of sounds like McGrady). Recent statements attributed to Morey, our General Manager,seem to indicate that he is looking mostly for younger talent with untapped upside, as he isn't building a team for a quick win now but a team which will be contenders for several years. :p

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I can't even imagine what Morey could do with a lottery pick.

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Michael Redd isn't just bad -- he's shockingly bad. His FGA per game exceed his PPG output. To put things into perspective, Trevor Ariza isn't even that bad (and that's saying something).

18. BasketballReasons

HAHaha I litteraly laughed out loud :D

19. BasketballReasons

Shoot can't edit!

I was looking at the Rookie of the Year rankings the other day and noticed that there where 5 PG's in the top 8 or something like that.
    I remember Morey being very very high on the PG's of the draft (he said on the radio he would love to get one of the top 5 PG's of the draft).
    From Evans to Jennings, passing by Flynn and probably Rubio, it looks like Morey was right again.