1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dion Glover

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by W-Mac, Jul 21, 2005.

1. W-Mac

W-Mac Contributing Member

Just comparing his stats to Wesleys, it seems as if they are very similar.

Glover: 8 points, 3 rebs, 2 assists, .8 steals, 21 MPG
    Wesley: 13 points, 3 rebs, 5 assists, 1.4 steals, 33 MPG

Glover's stats in 33 MPG (like Wesley):13 points, 5 rebs, 3 assists, 1.25 steals

Not that bad considering Glover is 6'5 and Wesley is 6'0. Also Glover is younger (26 I believe) and just as quick.

I know it was only summer league, but this guy really stood out to me. Everyone keeps talking about how he looks for his shot first, but what are you supposed to do when you dont have a contract, and you get invited to play on a summer league squad? You are trying to "sell" yourself to teams, bottom line!

I doubt it would happen, but I wouldn't mind seeing Glover get quite a few minutes at the 2.......maybe even start, but I know that wont happen. But he puts up about the same numbers as Wesley and is YOUNGER and probably more athletic/explosive!

Any thoughts?

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

One thing stats dont show is 'ball movement'. Glover looks to score more with the ball whereas Wesley will shoot when appropriate but just as many times is willing to pass the ball an extra time to an open man.

3. W-Mac

He also played for the Hawks...who else was going to score? You think with Yao, T-Mac and Swift that he look for his shot first?

4. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

For our '2' guard we need a shut-down defender ala SA's Bowen. He would be #5 scorer behind everyone else if DamonS come down to H-town. I don't see DGlov as a the shut-down defender that we need. IMO he is most like BSura, lots of hustle and toughness, but no 3-ptr.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yes. we need a great defender at the 2. don't forget that he should be able to hit the 3 with consistancy.

i give you.........

greg buckner.

6. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Greg Buckner has done this (stuck the 3 ball) 1 year out of the last 5. He promising based on last year's performance, but I hate to put all my eggs in one basket and expect him to be much better than Wesley or Sura would be as an SG.

Glover's career numbers are actually very similar to Buckner's, and Glover has better size to play the back-up 3. Glover will have to play solid D to make the roster though. I'd take Buckner over him if he would sign for the LLE with us (I think he will get a little better offers), but I wouldn't offer much in a trade.

7. krocket

I give his teammate........

Dermar Johnson, even better at 6'9" to slide to '3'.

8. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

demarr is NOT a good defender and he's a very low % scorer. i'm just not sold on him. he's a great athlete with intriguing size 6'9 but he lacks strength and A LOT of skill.

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's interesting to see so many people don't seem to have watched Glover play compare him to someone or other.

Admittedly, it's been a while for me but he always struck me as a bit of an "odd duck" in terms of on court position. The first time I saw Charles Barkley on TV (back when he was on the court with Dr. J), my all time favorite anouncer, Tommy Heinson, remarked that if Charles lost 100 lbs he would still be in the NBA as a shooting guard.

I saw someone else describe one of my favorite college players back in the day, Fennis Dembo of Wyoming, as a small forward trapped in a shooting guard's body.

If Dion Glover were 4 inches taller, he'd be a career starter at small forward. Unfortunately for him he's trapped between positions. I seem to remember him doing a fairly good job with what he has to work with, but his skills and his body just don't quite mesh. One only has to see that after a couple of years in the NBA he was listed as a Guard/Forward with emphesis on "forward" despite a listed height of 6'4" (probably closer to 6'3"). In any case, getting your hopes up about his role as anything beyond a player at the back end of the rotation would be a mistake.

On a side note, looking for photos I found one of him & Steve Francis, & one with Wesley

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Dion wouldn't be a bad SG to have alongside T-Mac, but I do not want him at the point.

11. themocitydon

themocitydon Member

even though buckner is alot better defensively, glover's offensive game is alot better.glover aint that bad a defensive player either.

12. W-Mac

That "shut down defender" probably isnt out there via FA. How do you compare Glover to Sura? He is MUCH quicker then Bobby. I'd take Glover at the 2 over 6'0 Wesley, but that just MHO.

13. W-Mac

No, I would want him at the 2.

14. W-Mac

EXACTLY!

15. krocket

A poster on another thread [I'll go look for it if I have to] quoted DJ's defensive PER as 15.x as opposed to Wesley's 11.x PER. Said he got it off 82games, maybe. I have not checked it out so I won't make a firm statement that DJ IS a good defender, but can you cite any source for your equally unverified statement that he is NOT a good defender. Other than your opinion, I guess. :)

This is DJ's page on 82games, help yourself. :D
    http://www.82games.com/04DEN7C.HTM
    This is David Wesley's page from 82games:
    http://www.82games.com/04HOU8C.HTM

#15 krocket, Jul 22, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2005
  16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Hell with Buckner and Glover (although either'd be OK).

GERALD WALLACE. Not a great 3 point threat, but gets to the rim, gets steals, runs the break....

Pick up the phone, CD. Sign and trade. Give up an expiring contract and a #1, Charlotte has to spend a minimum on the cap at least but wants to hold down long term costs.

Pick up the phone, CD.

(Although I'm sure he has already.)