1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I miss Gene Peterson and Jim Foley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cml750, Jan 17, 2015.

1. cml750

cml750 Member

I am having to listen to this game on the radio due to reasons beyond my control. These new guys just don't hold a candle to Peterson and Foley. How sweet it was!!!!!!!!!!

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Idk I think Ackerman is great. Really enjoy listening to him when I'm late to a game or something in my car. I understand the nostalgia. But we are lucky to have Ackerman.

3. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Ackerman is great!

4. cml750

cml750 Member

Maybe I am not used to them. I live in the Beaumont area. We can't pick up 790 there but back when I was younger I listened to Peterson & Foley on KTRH which comes in loud and clear in the Golden Triangle. I am in Houston today with my wife and daughter for soccer so I am listening on the radio. I haven't listened to a radio broadcast in years so I keep waiting for a " How sweet it is".

5. cml750

cml750 Member

The last time I listened to an entire radio broadcast, Dream was roaming the paint for the Rockets.

6. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Love Craig and Joel! Never had a chance to listen to Gene and Jim.

7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I miss Gene and Jim too. They're part of the fabric of the Houston Rockets.

Also, there are times when you have to engage that good ole ESP to know what happened now.

Gene would reel on though everything that was going on...tell a story...and then, quickly...call..."so and so"..."walked"....two.. .and continue what he was talking about....just awesome...with Jim chiming in....Classic stuff....Gene was incredible.

Slim, cml750 and Vanilla Thunder like this.
  8. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

I miss that the most, Ackerman screams and hollers on all shots, Most of the time I have no idea if it's a make or miss. Then there's the forced use of "Conch" to replace basketball. I had never in all my years of playing and watching basketball heard anyone refer to the ball as a "conch"

Slim and Plowman like this.
  9. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Well he's obviously bringing his own flavor to the broadcast. Based on what I've heard from Gene's calls he screams and hollers on just about every play.

10. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I miss Jim and Gene, who wouldn't?

I also think Ackerman is great and will be for years to come.

11. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Seeing as to how you never got the chance to listen to Gene and Jim I can tell you he never hollered or screamed on every play. When he did it was genuine and necessary. Kinda hard compare true Legends to Ackerman when you've only listened to the latter.

#11 Blurr#7, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    cml750 and Astrosfan183 like this.
  12. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I grew up listening to the Rockets on the radio and feel like Ackerman is just as passionate about the team and knowledgeable about the game in general. I'd assume he's one of the best in the business. He's got a great sense of humor (Joel Blank adds something). I can't understand why anyone would think Worrell is more competent than Ackerman. I need to start an appreciation thread.

13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

GP personally mentored Ackerman for almost an entire season and gave his seal of approval to the newcomer once Foley stepped down

these "complain about Ackerman" threads always backfire.

#13 across110thstreet, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Ackerman is ok. I just wish he would explain what's happening on the court more quickly and clearly. Especially with rebounds, sometimes I have no idea who has the ball. He describes the taps and box outs in great detail then gets around to who has the ball afterwards. Maybe try reversing that. And I'd like for him to mention the score more often as well. At least 2-3 times every minute or so.

2 people like this.
  15. cml750

cml750 Member

Very true

16. cml750

cml750 Member

Listening to Gene & Jim when I was younger, I always felt like I was there at the game. Last night was the first entire broadcast I have ever listened to Ackerman, he did an adequate job but I never felt like I was there at the game. If I had the opportunity to listen to Ackerman more I could probably grow to like him, but I do not think I would ever like him the way I liked Gene & Jim. That is not a knock on Ackerman rather just my humble opinion.

1 person likes this.
  17. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

See my sig. :grin:

18. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

3 people like this.
  19. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

20. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Crack Ackerman is mediocre when compared to the great gene person.

cml750 and Astrosfan183 like this.