1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How many times

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JLEW1818, Apr 13, 2009.

1. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

that you know of, have you seen a team "lose" a game on purpose..... to avoid a team in the playoffs? Is it really possible that Houston might do this??? I know there are some people who want Utah.... but please people be logical.

Fill me in please.

2. max14

max14 Member

I think Clippers deliberately lost some games so they avoided Dallas and got to the second round.

Not anything too great but it made them better than the rockets.

3. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

I've heard somewhere that if you intentionally tank games the league fines the club, can anybody confirm it

4. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I'm almost positive that is true, but this never happens because it's so hard to prove someone didn't try.

I mean consider the league's view, if the team actually did try can you imagine the league calling them out for not trying, how sh**ty would that make that team feel.

5. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

They didn't fine Dallas when they lost to golden state some years ago. They didn't tank, but they did rested their starters (And that worked out for them :D ). So I really do not see how the league can fine for tanking, how do you prove that a team tanked?

6. Pringles

Pringles Member

04/05...

Didn't the Kings or SuperSonics tank so they won't face the Mavs?

7. D-Lite

D-Lite Contributing Member

Kings tanked to play the Sonics. Kings ended up losing.

8. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

it isn't logical to lose a game, to lose a division, so you don't have to play someone else. if you go in thinking you can lose to someone, you could potentially throw your momentum and end up losing to someone else. how stupid would it look if we lost to avoid someone and then we lost to someone else.

also what a laughing stock we would be if we purposefully lose a game so that we wouldn't have to play the 7th seed, not the 1st, the 7th...

yes, the jazz have killed us in years past, but every year is a new year, we have a healthy squad now, we can play them, we just need to make yao efficient on offense, so that his defense isn't relied upon.

o and i dont know if anyone has ever lost to avoid a series, i know people lose for the lottery, but i don't agree with purposefully losing, it's disrespectful and unfair to the fans who PAY for the tickets only to see their team throw the game, that is not competition, and it is pitiful and disgusting to watch. personally, if the rockets purposefully lose on wed. i'll be furious and ashamed of my own team...this is professional sports, play like men