1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach LaVine or Ricky Rubio?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by yobod, Mar 19, 2015.

?

Who is the Timberwolves PG of the Future?

1. Ricky Rubio

33 vote(s)
    36.3%
  2. Zach LaVine

58 vote(s)
    63.7%
  1. yobod

yobod Member

Zach LaVine has shown flashes of being great. Should The T-Wolves part ways with Rubio and let LaVine develop alongside Wiggins moving forward?

2. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

zach got high ceiling, and hes only 20 years old

3. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

No reason to rush it. Keep both for now. I think they can be a problem playing passing lanes and getting out in transition. Should be a fun team to watch for the next few years.

4. Exiled

Exiled Member

It should be Zach. Or Wiggin .

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Lavine's game kind of reminds me of Westbrook.

6. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

I concur. He was compared to Westbrook coming out of college.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

LaVine cus dunks. But he's not as cute as Rubio.

8. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Take away the contracts Its Rubio but with them always take the guy on a rookie contract

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Rubio is limited with his shooting woes.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If Levine develops in a year or two, they could trade Rubio. With upcoming jump in the salary cap, plenty of teams would take him.

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I think Rubio has elite vision and his playmaking is one of the best in the league and his defense is above average as well. But he has been in the league now for a what 4-5 seasons? Despite the injuries he has had his shooting has not improved on bit which is why the Wolves had a bad winniing % last season in close games. Teams would just stay home and force Rubio to beat them instead of creating for others. I would have thought he would have become at least somewhat respectable by now - I can still see Morey taking a chance on Rubio in the FA market if the Wolves let go of him - or make a deal for him

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider">@chadfordinsider</a> on Rubio today: &quot;His camp has been pushing for a trade for a while.&quot; Me: not as much after 4/$55M. Before, some. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/twolves?src=hash">#twolves</a></p>&mdash; Darren Wolfson (@DWolfsonKSTP) <a href="https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/600723875060645888">May 19, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Until the cap goes up, I think its going to be nearly impossible for players like this to get moved. There is really no incentive for the Wolves to move him, and nobody is taking him unless there is major assets coming their way.

Yeah he's a decent/good player, but he's not a difference maker. However he's making a difference maker salary.

99.9% of NBA teams would take LaVine the contract/player, but I'd say about 70% of teams would take LaVine the player if the contract was equal.

And no BBHollic, the Rockets do not need to trade for Rubio. If these playoffs have taught us anything its that shooting does in fact matter. Look at the teams still left in the playoffs, and their perimeter players. See any commonalities?

14. malakas

malakas Member

Considering that lavine a) isnt a pg at all b) is Currently the worst starter in the league c) defence?whats that? I dont see any dillema.

15. malakas

malakas Member

The cap has already gone up in regard to market contracts. Just wait and see this year what agents will get out of the teams.
    And most teams would choose rubio. Even if he cant shoot.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You mean as far as teams paying guys now based on their contracts being good value in the future?

Teams like the Suns made that type of bet on a guy like Bledsoe who is assumed to improve, and can be reevaluated in a different market in 2 years. Kind of like 8 years ago a real estate investor in Houston buying up a bunch of condos in the Warehouse district of Houston knowing the market would jump up and the area had plans to revitalize.

What I'm referring to is Rubio being seen this Summer as a tradeable contract. Who is giving up anything for him when they have so many options coming next year they can afford if they just wait?

If Rubio was seen as a future improving investment that your point would have validity but it doesn't. Rubio has shown no signs that he's poised to make a big jump. Or at least a team trading for him this Summer will only be trading for him knowing what skills he possesses and assuming those skills can help their team.

My first point is the most important one. What incentive do the Wolves have if they obviously will either have to give up something to move him, or will be getting back very little to get him?

If I'm running the Wolves I wait a year to move him. He helps your young players now because his skills can help guys like Wiggins get better looks, get out in transition, etc. In a year, Rubio's contract can be moved much easier by a team that wants to patch up what they missed out on in free agency with the Jump. Or you have the case where a team like the past Rockets have done, and the Sixers do where they make use of their cap space to absorb contracts to get minor assets. If he's playing well.. hell he might even net you an asset in a year.

Right now going into this Summer nobody is giving the Wolves jack to take Rubio when there are a world of other options available at better costs financially. Rockets fans who keep on obsessing over this guy just need to give it up. If he was playing on the Rockets right now its almost a given fact that teams would be playing against his weaknesses to force him to shoot, and that would completely alter what the Rockets do as a team.

17. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I think Rubio will have a Steve Nash type career arc - a clear misfit with the team that drafted him but will later blossom under a system specifically tailored to his style of play. The Wolves were never really committed to winning hence Love's departure and now Rubio being on the shelf and soon-to-be on the trading block.

Again, I'm one of "those rockets' fans" that still wants Rubio on our team. His playmaking and unselfish style would perfectly compliment Harden's game. Sure Rubio is a liability on defense but that is a something we can adjust to like we are with Terry playing PG in the absence of Beverly. Also Morey still is high on Rubio after several failed attempts to land him on draft day and trade deadlines.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I said Rubio. I think he will learn to shoot at some point kind of like Kidd did. Too early to tell with LaVine, but he has a lot more to work on than Rubio does.

19. malakas

malakas Member

Yes that's what I mean. Sorry for my english. Rubio's contract on it's own for a guy at his age that hasn't entered his prime yet is an asset and very tradeable.
    His problems is his lack of shooting though he has shown improvement and more importantly that he always gets injured.
    I don't know why some here obssesing with acquiring him he is a terrible fit next to Harden. However for the Wolves next to someone like Wiggins whose handles are bad, and next to their new center (most likely Okafor) Rubio will be needed.
    The wolves should be more concerned to get Pekovic to have a medical retirement to get him out of the books than trading Rubio. There's no reason at all to trade Rubio.

To have a good pointguard like Rubio is essential in young teams. It helps the other youngsters to grow into their games. Wins or losses don't matter for the Wolves anyway at this point. It's all about player development and that's where Rubio is essential.
    That's another reason why my Bucks traded away Knight.

Lavine on the other hand better show something next year because he has been terrible and his flashy dunks will only impress so long. Having him playing sg will help him a lot too. He is NOT a pg and he shouldn't try to be one.

20. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Don't you guys remember? Rubio died in Houston.

<iframe src="https://vine.co/v/OQPwzM239Qn/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>