1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones is back people!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket2008, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Jones played big boy ball yesterday. Was one of the keys to winning this game.

2. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

Yep. Played very well around other athletic, bigger bigs in Blake and Jordan. Wish i could say the same about Dmo.

3. vator

vator Contributing Member

Actually 4 double digit rebounding games in a row and 3 straight double doubles. In fact, he is averaging exactly 10 rebounds in the 13 games since the All Star break. 15.5 points on 53% and 33% from the 3 point line. 10.0 rebounds and 1.9 blocks. He has a TS% of .575, an offensive rating of 118 and a defensive rating of 101 according to basketball reference. He's been very good. Only Harden has been better.

1 person likes this.
  4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Maybe Morey does know how to draft bigs and maybe McHales does know how to develop them. Imagine that.

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Is Blake Griffin bigger?

Griffin v Jones
    height 6'10 v 6'9.5
    wingspan 6'11 v 7'2.25
    standing reach 8'9 v 8'11
    weight 248 v 252

I do NOT understand the 'Jones is undersized' rhetoric :rolleyes: he simply isn't!

6. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

Well done. I suppose Blake just seems to play bigger, takes up more space inside, and gets somewhere with his moves.

7. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Blake definitely uses his body more effectively. He can be a bull down there. He has a good core and explodes on his jumps. If he didn't try to be so whirly on his moves, he could actually be a force on the low post but 60% of the time he tries to do some reverse off-the-wrong-foot hook shot that barely gets to the rim.

Jones is more finesse in his approach. He would much rather do a flip hook shot than finish through the contact, but he does have that ability to do both. If he adopts the mindset of dunking everything within 6 feet of the rim instead of trying to finish with a soft layup, he can be a total monster. He still needs to strengthen his core but his added strength has helped him.

Anyone else notice how effectively he is using the glass lately? He has gotten really good at that.

8. Dabeezneez

Dabeezneez Member

jones has been a blessing. I'm so excited when howard comes to see how he plays alongside him. hes gotta keep improving every year tho that way he'll make the big $$$$$$ :p

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Surely finishing strong at the hoop is Jones' strength??? He is 71% from within 3 feet on his career, and 16% dunks.
    Griffin is 73% within 3 feet with 16% dunks.

Griffin has far more offensive firepower, but finishing strong in close is not Jones weakness.

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Have to admit when he got the ball way out at the 3 point line with like 2 seconds left on the clock late in the game I wasn't too confident.

But man he sank that shot and it was huge. He's been great for us, he really has improved from last season.

11. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

How quickly we forget that D-Mo was the other horse (not named Harden) we rode to a lot of wins -- wins that got us to the playoffs -- while Dwight Howard and T-Jo were out with injuries. I believe that we would be in much better shape if we had D-Mo on active duty. Actually, I have been more impressed with Capela's play more than T-Jo's, although T-Jo has done an excellent job.

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

T jones played like a man.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I am 100% on the trade TJ train.
    Too many poor showings from him. Just outright disappears at times.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good that you do not have the final say. I would give him another 2 years.

Guy is a big and young as hell. He isn't supposed to be a veteran.

Again if he were 28 year old and played all of the season without injuries then maybe a trade would be best.....

That is just plain hatin on a young guy

And I give him only 2 years because the GM is Morey. Under any other good GM he would probably get another 4 years.

15. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

Jones shouldve shot at least 6 to 8 free throws yesterday. He has frustrated the hell out of me at times but he was robbed on several occasions yesterday. I still dont think he has his explosiveness back from the nerve damage yet. That can take a long time to heal 100 percent.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is paid minimum cash and him disappearing is because the guy is not an allstar but he has to go against allstars or almost allstars or veterans night in night out in the playoffs

And he should get another 2 offseasons to get slimmer and continue work on his game...

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

he re-learned how to make a lay-up. that's fundamental.

18. basketballholic

When?

Good that you do not have the final say. I would give him until the end of this season.

Guy is a tweener and he's been here 3 years now and hasn't improved in any key area that we need him to improve in.

That is just plain pumping on a guy. Again if he were 28 year old and had the same skill set he does now then when he is healthy he won't get minutes on a championship caliber team. He's a bench-warmer on a great team and a fringe player on a mediocre to good team.

If he did, that GM wouldn't be a good GM. Not even 4 years at the minimum.

He is not paid the minimum. He's on the 3rd year of a rookie scale contract. He's taking up a roster spot and cap space and his time is running out. Any substantial rotation player on a championship caliber team has to bring something. They may not be an All-Star but they have to bring an elite skill that helps their team win. Either great defense or great rebounding or great shooting from 3. In one of those 3 skills a rotation player on a championship caliber team has to be substantially above average. Terrence is simply not great at anything. He's mediocre at several things and piss poor at the rest.

LOL. Another 2 offseasons to get slimmer and continue to work on his game. ROFL

He just got done getting bigger. And now you think he needs 2 more offseasons to get slimmer. ROFL

Not to mention continuing to work on his game. Like the next 2 offseasons are going to produce a different result than the last 5 summers have produced. Look, Terrence is the same player now he was when he signed with Kentucky.

In 2 more offseasons you'll be asking for 2 more offseasons to get bigger and continue to work on his game. What a hoot.

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

If we get rid of only one of Smith and TJones, hopefully it's Smith. Jones is inconsistent too but doesn't implode like Smith does.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, Holic, why are you responding when you are being stubborn every time?

You said yourself he does not have any trade value. The best would be keeping him and raising his value.

He is a fantastic young man, with a hilarious voice. I want him another 2 years just doing interviews with that voice.