1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA Fanhouse] Tracy McGrady Point Guard Experiment Working? Working

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by liunatic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. liunatic

liunatic Member

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2011/01/25/tracy-mcgradys-rebirth-as-point-guard-helping-revitalize-piston/

ORLANDO, Fla. -- At age 31, Tracy McGrady is making a career change.

It's like a basketball rebirth.

Major knee surgery may have ended his days as one of the NBA's most prolific scorers, but after wrestling through various stages of rehabilitation the last two years, he is beginning to emerge as a slightly unorthodox, but valued point guard.

It was hard to argue against him Monday night.

No one will mistake him for Chris Paul or Deron Williams or Derrick Rose -- the league's best points -- but McGrady suddenly has taken charge of the Detroit Pistons.

It's a position he never played before, but a position to which he is quickly adapting.

The Pistons (17-28) are 5-3 since McGrady became their starting point guard. In Monday's victory over the Orlando Magic, McGrady had 20 points, seven rebounds, five assists and two steals. His quick start -- 14 of those points in the first period -- provided the confidence that made the upset possible.

"I like the way the team runs when I have the ball,'' McGrady said. "If this can prolong my career, I'm all for it. When I was younger, that's how I envisioned my career being, just an all-around player and not a scorer.''

McGrady twice led the league in scoring when he played for the Magic (2002-03 and 2003-04), carving his niche as one of the most explosive wing players in the game. Yet microfracture surgery almost ended his career when he hobbled through the last two seasons, leaving him completely unwanted this summer and nearly serving a similar fate as Allen Iverson.

The Pistons signed him for the minimum -- and for one season -- hoping he had some game left in his legs. He doesn't have the lift or the explosiveness he once did, but his knowledge of the game and his willingness to adapt to a different role has the Pistons believing he still has a future.

"Your traditional point guards control the team," said Pistons coach John Kuester. "The luxury we have in him is that he's also 6-8, and a former superstar who plays with no ego. When he attacks the basket and is not settling for jump shots, he's awfully good. Not only does he create for himself, he creates for others.''

McGrady struggled early this season, much like he did the past two seasons, averaging just 4 points and 1.3 assists in the first 25 games. In his last 14 games, the last eight as the starting point guard, he has averaged 11 points and 4.9 assists.

The move allowed Rodney Stuckey to move from point guard to his more natural position of shooting guard. It took Rip Hamilton out of the rotation completely, giving the Pistons a more balanced, unselfish offense.

"This role is easy for me," McGrady said. "Certain guys understand the game a lot more than others, like me and Grant (Hill in Phoenix). "Not only are we skillful, but we have a high basketball IQ. You can have guys who are as athletic as hell in this league, but if they were to lose their athleticism, then they don't have the skills to be effective.''

McGrady did not play well in Saturday's win over Phoenix, but he had 10 points, six assists and six rebounds last week against New Jersey. Backup Will Bynum can provide the quickness and a good change of pace at point guard, but Kuester is convinced that the McGrady experiment is working.

"Obviously, I'm not the player I once was, but I've always been a playmaker as well as a scorer. I'm more of a facilitator now, and I like the way it feels,'' he said. "I'll never have the tools I once did, but when you modify your game, you can still make it work.''

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Point Forward?

/Sura faints

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Tmac's not a point foward

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I like the way the team runs when I have the ball...

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

My life starring Tracy McGrady and Stacy McLady

6. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Knock the guy, but it seems to be working.

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well there is a reason a SF is forced to run the point for that team.

8. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

wow... just wow...

9. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

I like this article, but not sure why post it here. Most on the board are just reading so they can point out what they can nitpick on in this article.

Welcome to human nature 101 post an article about a player damn near booted from the league and how his mindset has changed and watch readers on this forum bring him down.

Welcome to Clutchfans.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

LOL yeah, Tmac really likes to suck his own dick

1 person likes this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What is it in the name? McGrady has always been a point guard. LeBron James is a point guard. Branden Roy is a point guard. These guys have the ball in their hands. They initiate the offense. They are great passers. They make plays for teammates. That's the definition of a point guard, right?

There are only two reasons they are not labeled "point guards":
    1. their size
    2. their scoring

The size thing is BS. Nobody ever questioned Magic Johnson's PG-hood just because he is 6'9". The scoring thing is also BS. Who says PGs aren't supposed to be good scorers too?

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Easy...

Agree somewhat, but the main difference between Magic and Lebron/Roy/TMac is the latter played with a PG. Magic was the sole PG on the court at one time. You can't really have two PGs on the court together and expect the taller guy to be called a PG, right?

I like the article. It makes sense that TMac can do this. However, good luck on the defensive side of the ball TMac. Not sure if this will remain a winning formula for a lot of mpg.

13. Shaud

Shaud Member

He doesn't guard the point guard on the other team though.

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Lmao. He just called himself out.

1 person likes this.
  15. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Did he? It sounds to me like he's saying he's skillful enough to compensate for the lack of athleticism he's lost.

16. tested911

tested911 Member

Hahaha I just can't stop laughing at this one statement..

It's what every Houston Fan was saying when he was on the team and healthy. I'm glad he's finally learning.

17. gah

gah Member

I'm more in your favor between you and RedRedemption but this remains to be seen, especially if it's for a championship caliber team.

18. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Did u watch any of the games during the JVG era? He played great running point

19. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

like I mentioned it before the season:

[​IMG]

20. trustme

trustme Member

At least it's not "LeBron likes the way the team runs when LeBron has the ball," said LeBron James.