1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it would be stupid not to match tonight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets025, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

I almost guarantee that we will match parsons contract by tonight and here's why:

1) Age: Parsons and Ariza may appear almost equal on a stat sheet but let's face it, parsons has increased in almost every category after each year and is about to enter his prime. Ariza on the other hand is now leaving his prime. It would be stupid to think that they plan on replacing parsons with Ariza and think you can win multiple championships with just Ariza

2) chemistry: if you know the rockets then you know chandler is the "glue" that hold the team together. Every person on this team loves him and he brings so much offense production to the team in more ways then one. I think him and dwight operate better together then harden and dwight will ever if with ariza

3) luxury tax: everybody thinks les is some cheap ass that won't pay any money. Well I got news for you, les is all for spending money if it means the potential of a championship and has straight up said that. Paying parsons max contract isn't really that big of a deal since he has the bird rights and the possible production parsons could bring to the team over the next 3-5 years while in his prime is worth the extra money if it doesn't exactly kill our cap space

4) Depth: let's face it, a big part in our first round exit was our lack of bench and rotation players. With Ariza we finally have a solid 6th coming off the bench which I think is worth every penny of that 8mil if he can put solid numbers and play time off the bench. Having parsons and ariza also gives us a couple different line ups and solid rotations during games

5) Dwight Howard: it's known that parsons basically single handily recruited dwight to houston and has developed a great friendship with each other. Dwight and harden love parsons, and with parsons having the same agent I bet if parsons left and the rockets didn't win big the next year or two the rockets are gonna lose dwight as him and parsons will most likely meet up somewhere else as Dwight can opted out in I believe the same year as chandlers player option in his new contract

6) houston: I'm pretty sure chandler is the fan favorite of the rockets and it would be a huge let down if we saw him go

So I saw it's a no brainer to match parsons offer. With ariza we finally have a chance for solid rotations off the bench.

As for our PF and center problem if we can't trade asik by tonight then the worst thing is that we have asik on the bench again as a backup center and we make a trade in December when more players are on the market

And in regards to people wanting a new PG I ask why? When comparing Bev to other pg he might not be the highest scoring but Bevs defense is why he's the best option. We don't need a flashy point guard with Dwight, harden, parsons, and ariza all putting up double digits. What we need is a pg who can shut down all the flashy point guards like Westbrook and CP3 and contain them while putting up a solid 10 points and force Durant to do all the work

The way I see it we would be dumb not to sign parsons

2 people like this.
  2. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

Regarding Les, the Rockets have been an income producing asset for the past ten years.

3. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I hope you're right!!

4. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

And to add: we wouldn't be over the tax apron by signing Parsons, we should sill be about 5 million under the apron. So Les wouldn't have to pay tax until we sign another big contract.

5. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

"I have enough money, but what I don't have is enough championships. If your not in it to win championships, then you shouldn't be in it" - said by Les Alexander during last years season

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I really hope that we add another two way player today. We need Harden and Parsons to step it up defensively.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Denying Parsons to Cuban should be another reason. I still feel that Les won't match him.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Ariza comes as close to that as possible, with the limited resources available.

9. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

I felt that was obvious and didn't need to include that haha

If we match and take parsons and ariza away from Cuban I feel like the rivalry between houston and Dallas will be known across the league now

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this.

11. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Man we have all the reasons to match, but yeah I fear the worst. Realistically, I don't think we match.

This offseason would be too good to be true if that happened, but I doubt it will

12. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

If we sign one more player we will match. If we don't, we won't.

13. Raven

Raven Member

It's not just losing a talented player, it's Dallas acquiring a talented player. That makes it worse, and it's the number one reason the Rockets have to match. I really don't see how they have a choice.

14. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7) **** Dallas

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Throw 5M at Stephenson. Low ball offer but he might take it in his moment of craziness.

Would be serviceable, would provide the crazy factor, but more importantly with him and Parsons signing with us, Cuban would have lost every single one of his targets at the SF spot because of his shenanigans...

Parsons
    Deng
    Ariza
    Stephenson...

...and his very own Carter because he had his $$ tied up with the offer sheet to Parsons.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It's an easy decision to match. The Asik trade just confirms that everyone is tradable if they are valuable players, and you don't lose an asset for nothing.

Plus the Rockets don't have max room anymore anyways so it doesn't really matter(preserving cap space for next Summer).

If Morey let's Parsons walk for nothing my opinion of Morey might take a serious downward slide.

17. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

And Jones as our PF is not all that bad. The man is only 22 and I doubt Aldridge will ever perform that that again lol. The PF spot is not something I'm worried about when we have parsons who will probably be a stretch 4 and jones as a rotation player when bev sits on bench

My biggest concern is depth which I think ariza helped fill. I think houston might have told him he was gonna be the 6th man. He could have probably gotten 10 mill from any other team but I think ariza came here for a championship and knew he would need to be a 6th man to do so

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Being an asset is #1

By not keeping him you are wasting an asset. They need as many contracts as possible if they wanna make a trade down the road

19. houactuar

houactuar Member

Parsons can take his Dallas money, I don't like him anymore. He can be Cubans boyfriend on the down low for all I care. He isn't a championship caliber player. He's soft, Portland exposed him. I wish Daryl exercised the option. Ariza plays better defense. I trust Morey to do the right thing whatever he does, he knows more than you people and your 7 washy washy reasons. Parsons is not worth 15m per so not matching and making Cuban eat it works for me to.

20. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Apron != luxury tax threshold fyi. Apron is by definition $4M above the luxury tax line.