1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to stop the flopping

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by basketballholic, Jun 9, 2014.

1. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Best solution I've heard so far.

I hate charge calls, especially those where the defender slides under the offensive player, potentially causing injury... I know the refs are supposed to call that a blocking foul, but I don't think they get it right with any consistency.

Right now, the penalty for flopping just isn't severe enough while the benefit can be tremendous... Not to mention that it is a relatively subjective call, anyways.

2. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

Why don't they just give the coaches of each team a couple of challenges for every game? If they feel a flop has occurred they can just "throw the red flag" and have the play reviewed for a flop.

3. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

That I can recall, no flop has been a game winner. But they are game changers. If Bev is defending cp3 and all cp3 is doing is flopping while getting Bev into foul trouble. What do you do now? As a team and player. As a team do you take out your best perimeter player and put Harden on him? Or do you (as Bev) play less D. Giving Cp3 space to operate.
    While flopping isn't a horrible issue, it is something that needs fixing

4. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

this.

Its part of the game now.

Sometimes instead of just trying to score Harden goes into the paint and flails his arms around. Its more about drawing the foul than making a shot now. I will say thats better than being the flopping defender though.

5. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Harden isn't doing what Dwyane Wade, LeBron, and Bosh are doing. Harden embellishes the contact that IS made. He looks for the foul to be his offense. Wade and the flop 3 create a fallacy in the contact they receive to get free undeserved points. Essentially, what Wade and LeBron are doing is cheating.

1 person likes this.
  6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Flopping is annoying as hell, but I wouldn't say Harden's flops are egregious like Wade, Ginobili, Rubio, Bosh, Fisher etc.

Harden's "flops" are more along the lines of Kevin Durant, subtle head movements and ripping their arms through players trying to draw fouls.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

At the end of the day . . . i think the best ideas is to start fining the REFS

If you want to HOOK UP superstars. . . .ask them to pay your fines!!

Rocket River

8. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I think it can be solved in a much simpler way. Review every game, call out every flop. If a neutral observer would acknowledge it's a clear flop - it's a flop. Regardless of the severity. No one got more than, what, 3 flop fines this season? Here you should be seeing Paul, Ginobili, etc ringing up 100+ violations a year if they don't adjust their games.

Then? You suspend them one game without pay for every fifth flop.

Insanity ensues. People say this rule is ruining the game. Superstars miss dozens of games. But they learn to stop flopping for damn sure.

9. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

I'm not talking about "having a right to your spot" I'm talking about players on a fast break and instead of "challenging" the attempt, the defensive player gets in front and stops.....that's not basketball. that's BullSh!t. People get undercut and hurt by that. How about trying to block or change the shot....that kind of charge needs to go

10. basketballholic

If a defender actually claims the spot first...that is a legitimate basketball play.

Basketball is a great game designed to give players of virtually every size a "chance". Some guys are so big and athletic...you can't block them. You have a right to a spot on the floor.

What should be non-calls however are when the ball handler comes down and executes a play, either a shot or pass, while leaping up and then comes down in the space right next to the statued defenders and the defenders then go careening backward like they've been hit with a Mack truck. In other words if it's not legit contact then defenders shouldn't just fall down to accentuate the contact of the ball handler landing right next to him in a jump stop. That play is one of those that should be reviewed, reversed, and a technical foul issued along with a change of possession.

The reason why this sort of flop started occurring in the first place is because years ago officials basically refused to issued the offensive foul call on the ball handler. Back in the Magic/Bird era and even continuing into the Shaq era where it got totally out of hand....those guys could run over defenders and nary a call. Hence we've gotten to this reversal point where everybody flops. If you watch a lot of footage of Shaq's post moves.....he habitually hooked defenders (with his chicken wing) and subsequently bowled over them like they were nothing but bowling pins. And he never got called for the offensive foul call.

On to today where almost all physical contact is exaggerated and players seek out opportunities to fall over and embelish things. It gets the whistle and $5,000 is chump change for these guys. It's well worth sending an opponent to the bench with 3 fouls before halftime or with 4 fouls early in the second half or with 2 fouls early in the game. Especially if that player is a key defender or a key scorer.

11. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

Thanks for that, but it's not needed.....I may have forgotten more basketball than you actually know. I know the game inside and out so I will try to say this without offending you. My point is that I don't like that call....I PERSONALLY do not like when players undercut another player making a basketball move just because they can't defend them. That's my point...opinion. I respect your views....understand you're trying to show your knowledge but trust me; I don't need the rule book....I don't agree with it. I would rather see guys make an effort to defend the play (player) instead of trying to draw a charge. PLAY DEFENSIVE...BLOCK SHOTS

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Harden's getting calls going into the lane are mostly not overt flopping. That said, I don't like calls favoring the offensive player when he initiates the contact, even though Harden is on my team and he's a master of it.