1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Doctor Strange

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Knew this was coming since they dropped his name in Captain America 2:

link

[​IMG]

Short of knowing it's on the cards and that Sinister director Scott Derrickson is at the helm, we haven't really heard too much about what we can expect from Marvel's planned Doctor Strange flick...until now. While speaking to a small group of press during SDCC, Kevin Feige shares a few very interesting details for the first time. It seems we'll be getting the good Doctor's comic book origin story for one, and when Marvel takes this first step into supernatural territory, things will apparently get quite "trippy".

"It is a classic Marvel origin story, because he’s got one of the best origins ever, and it’s our opportunity to take that left turn into the supernatural. Now what is the definition of ‘supernatural’? It varies. We like the idea of playing with alternate dimensions, and Strange, in the very sort of Ditko, crazy acid-trip way of traveling through dimensions and traveling through realms, is something that we think is very, very cool — playing with perceptions of reality. I just watched the ‘Cosmos’ series, the Neil deGrasse Tyson ‘Cosmos’ series, which is amazing, and which is, might as well be an acid trip. … It is a mind-bending — and it’s all based in physics and based in quantum mechanics, and we’re gonna play a lot with the notion of that as an explanation of how the sorcerers do what they do."

Sounds like Marvel plan on grounding certain elements of this in science..but surely that won't be used to explain every aspect of Strange's powers and the magical realms and creatures he encounters? The Cosmos comparison sounds really cool though. What do you guys think?

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I was never interested in Dr. Strange as a character but Marvel seems to do great with even the most obscure boring characters (Captain America, Guardians of the Galaxy) so I'm on board.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Know nothing about Doctor Strange. I thought he was a villain judging by his name. Will watch regardless.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Dr. Strange was one of my brother's favorites back in the day. I liked him too. There is nothing boring about him. He's just very different from the most popular Marvel characters.

If you want relatively boring and not widely read, try the Man Thing (which I also liked). When they announce a movie about him, we will know Marvel hype has gone too far.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

His wardrobe seems kind of off for a superhero, but I guess that's why the call him Doctor Strange. However he has magical powers and magicians wear tight, weird, shiny clothes. Will he at least have a super hot assistant?

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Dr. Strange has some cool crossover's and his stand alone titles are pretty solid as well.

For those of you with netflix, there's a relatively recent animated film with him in it. It's decently well done and you can see how the movie might be interesting.

8. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

The animated movie they did was very good so I'll be looking forward to this.

Maybe Feige will start dropping hints on a Black Panther movie...please

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

Cumberbatch and Hamm are the only two people who I can see, that can play Dr. Strange to his fullest potential.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

Captain America an obscure character?

11. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Not obscure, but certainly boring and tacky.

1 person likes this.
  12. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Lions Gate owns the movie rights to Man Thing. I'm not sure if they are going to try to make a movie though.

13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Dr. Strange was my favorite back in the day and I still have his comic books. I am most interested in seeing how Marvel Studios brings his story to the big screen as his story revolves around a totally different reality based on the mystic arts more so than mere supernatural forces. If they take the approach they used with Guardians, I am certain this will be a hit as well.

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

A Black Panther movie would be awesome especially if it involves the story line involving Erik Killmonger.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

There was a straight to video movie made a few years back.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Dr. Strange & Guardians of the Galaxy. The two franchises that can and I suspect will be a different animal all their own for a long time. You can cross those characters with the Avengers here and there but there's no need to, they are their own mini-universes in themselves.

17. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I thought they already announced a Black Panther movie for like 2018.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Doubt it.

Doctor Strange will be a good bet . . .more mystical stuff
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077469/
    [​IMG]

Rocket River

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Good find, RR.

"It does have the limitations of 1970's television production, and falls flat very often with the dialogue - including excruciatingly annoying laughter from Strange and Clea, as they laugh at their unfunny exchanges. However, it is an admirable effort to bring a more obscure Marvel character to a live-action context. With Stan Lee as a consultant (as with all the other aforementioned shows), Lee states that this was his most enjoyable experience out of all of them. It was intended as a pilot for a series, but this was never produced - a television interview with Morgan LeFay towards the end, actually gives clues as to the way the show could have gone, and to be honest, it seems like an incredibly good concept."

20. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

This has been the rumor going around. Joaquin Phoenix.

[​IMG]