1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When Kevin Martin starts, this is what Aaron Brooks does

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ParaSolid, Mar 18, 2010.

1. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

He averages 24.4 points, 5.7 assists, shoots 41% from downtown and 51% overall. Compare this to his season averages of 20.1 ppg, 5.2 assists, 44% FG, and 39% 3P. Pair that with Kevin Martin's 24.6 ppg average and you have a backcourt beast. They're averaging almost 50 ppg!

Pretty small sample size, but it looks like having a very dangerous scoring threat as his backcourt partner is helping Brooks out tremendously. What's amazing about the progress is how quickly it happened. They've adjusted pretty well to each other in such a short span of time. Can things get even better or at least more consistent? I hope so, but I'm just glad that the Rockets have a dynamic 1-2 punch at the guard positions for years to come.

2 people like this.
  2. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

lol i just mentioned that at ish but I used his last ten games.

3. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Also Brooks was under 20ppg before Martin got here, his recent streak put him over 20.

4. BeCoMiNgThEbEsT

nice info...thank you

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I couldn't agree more about the effect Martin has had on Brooks. Make that Ariza as well. But Brooks just looks unstoppable on offense now.

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The only problem is the defensive end.

Otherwise, this backcourt combo is easily one of the toughest to defend in the league.

7. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Threads like this make me feel as though I am living in a happy Disney movie with birds singing beautiful songs, bunnies hopping around and flowers growing wildly beside a winding stream in the wilderness. I am just so happy. Rocket wins and a dual-threat guard-combo scoring machine can only make me happier. Glad to see they both have the green light to jack up as many shots as needed.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Well, what happens is martin has to be respected all over the court which gives room and freedom to brooks. There were some of us arguing the point about brooks having to play with basically 3 non offensive threats. Now that 1 has been replaced by the ultra effecient scoring of martin, teams take their eyes off of him sometimes. Martin also benefits from playing with a guy like brooks offensively. Neither are great defenders, but the rockets get exposed more than they should because hayes is small and scola cant guard my mama. If they had a guy like gortat in the picture at center, they would have at least 4 more wins.

9. Texasboy1978

Texasboy1978 Member

LOL, thanks!

10. koopa

koopa Member

Both of them do better playing together...both of them can really score the ball..AB never had that and both of them are great 3 pt shooters which is a huge plus for guards.

11. Texasboy1978

Texasboy1978 Member

The great thing about Martin and Brooks is they are NOT Francis and Mobley. I loved those guys, but Martin and Brooks share the ball well. Scola gets his, Ariza, unfortunately, gets his although much less now it seems. The ball movement is amazing at times. Dare I say that Coach A knows how to make scorers share better than, Coach T!!! :eek:

With S, B and M in the lineup, I think they average almost 73 ppg. Add Yao and you're looking at 93-96 ppg. That leaves some 3's for Bud, Ariz, and Bat and the rest of the guys, plus the progression for Hill. Even without trades and Bosh, We are looking to be a stellar team next year. Hopefully, next year, we aren't saying this again like we have been the last 5. Gotta say, win or lose, it is a pleasure to cheer for this team now. I don't get near as frustrated, well, except for those damn refs.

Why do you hate Houston Stern???

12. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

I thought about this, too. It's pick your poison time. If either of those don't get you, Scola will.

One other thing I noticed: Ariza starting alongside Brooks/Martin is also a perfect match. He is accepting his role and not jacking up 20 shots but going after rebounds, playing defense, etc.

Whether some people like it or not, those 4 players (Brooks, Martin, Ariza, Scola) are probably gonna be our starters for a while, unless Morey gets an offer too good to refuse. Now all we need is a 7'6 C to get back and complete the lineup.

13. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

It'd be nice if Ariza could be worked in, he's shown flashes of potential when he's not taking dumb shots and actually driving to the lane. OR maybe a Yao and Ariza combo, the 2nd coming of Mac and Yao, just now it'd be Yao and Ariza

14. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I know this is such a cliche, but when Yao gets back and our defense gets settled... holy moly.

15. choujie

choujie Member

Not to take away AB's nice performance, but Rockets have played against a lot weak defensive teams recently.

16. Texasboy1978

Texasboy1978 Member

That was a joke right? Ariza, second coming of Mac?? :rolleyes:

17. Precision340

Precision340 Member

I think Ariza will go back to being a support role.. much like when he was with LA.

18. alethios

alethios Member

All hail Morey, the genius, for putting these pieces in place. It's becoming fun to watch them again. The team is the superstar! Do we really need to trade anyone now or just pick up some insurance players.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Brooks was suffering from playing with the old starting group and it showed. Ariza and Battier on the court together with Chuck Hayes *shudder*

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

also it's giving Scola the freedom to flourish in the paint.