1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Doctor Strange

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Aug 4, 2014.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

Dat 2-3% of profits from merchandise and toy sales for the names big enough to get it into their contracts...

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Was RDJ really an "A-lister" before the first Iron Man? If anything, I think being in Iron Man revived his career (MCU movies, Sherlock Holmes, etc).

Hemsworth, Evans, Mackie, Norton/Ruffalo...these guys weren't A-listers.

In fact, and as appropriate as this is, Cumberbatch is the first true "A-lister" at the time of casting, to be cast in a Marvel movie, imo.

3. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Nice

Rocket River

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Looking more and more like Marvel's Matrix or Inception. (which isn't bad)

6. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't know who Dr. Strange is, but the original trailer had me. I want to know more. The last trailer was not quite as interesting, but I'm still interested. And yep, it might be that Cumberbatch is the reason why it looked so intriguing.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

I'd say it's been about a 50/50 proposition when it comes to heroes where I had no idea who the main superhero was going into the movie;

movie won me over;

SwampThing
    Darkman
    The Rocketeer
    The Crow
    Blade
    x-Men
    Constantine
    Hellboy
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    SkyHigh
    Jumper
    Watchmen
    KickAss
    Deadpool
    Push
    Chronicle

And when the movies blew it:

Howard the Duck
    The Mask
    Tankgirl
    Green Hornet
    Judge Dredd
    The Phantom
    DareDevil
    Spawn
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
    Elektra
    Sharkboy and Lavagirl
    Ghostrider
    Hancock
    Suicide Squad

#167 PhiSlammaJamma, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

RDJ had A-List talent, but he was pretty much unhireable when marvel took a shot.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If RDJ and Norton weren't A-list guys at the time, they were close. Their abilities were highly respected at the time even with RDj's problems.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

42 reviews on RT so far, 1 rotten.

Marvel really has built up a stupid amount of trust with the public right now, and I'm one of them. I'm there on opening weekend for literally all of their movies, and I never walk away disappointed. Avengers 2 was the only one that was close, and that's more because my expectations were stupidly high. They throw in something a little different in all of their movies to keep their formula from becoming stale.

Looks like another quality addition.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

it's out where i am. but will probably catch this weekend.

i am excite!

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Once I saw the cast, some of the concept art, and who the director was I had a great feeling about this one. I'm glad to see it's getting great reviews, and I can't wait to see it. (As is typical with Marvel movies for me)

I'm really starting to get antsy about Infinity War though. Yeah all of these little movies in between have been outstanding (after rewatching Civil War a few times, I think it's one of the best movies they've made), but I'm ready for Thanos and the big show.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

He had some fun performances in Rented Lips & Restoration but prior to to his time in jail his career had been mostly as an unsuccessful version of Tom Hanks 80's comedies. That troubled acting genius thing was PR spin that came after he got sentenced.

14. likestohypeguy

What's the name of the animated movie someone referenced on the first page? The same?

15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

If you're referring to Doctor Strange, it's the same title. It's on Netflix I believe if you have that.

16. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I have to agree, I don't think RDJ was A-list before Iron Man revitalized his career. Ed Norton's Hulk may have been the biggest "A" lister at the time. Maybe Scarlett Johansson was the actual biggest star at the time when cast by Disney Marvel Studios?

If anything, 20th Century Fox tended to cast bigger actors first for things like X-men. Sir Patrick Steward, Sir Ian McKellen, Hugh Jackman...heck even Halle Berry was an A-lister when she was cast as Storm.

Marvel Studios (Disney) is a star maker. Chris Evans, Hiddleson, Hemsworth, and Chris Pratt were all cast as solid tier 2 guys that shot into A-list status. Cumberbatch is near the top of his game and is a big get.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He was nominated for an Oscar so he wasn't just some random actor. He was trending up before his drug problem.Maybe he wasn't A-Lister, but he wasn't a brandon routh either.

18. Xerobull

Hugh Jackman was a nobody before he was Wolverine. That role made his career.

19. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Troo. Otherwise you'd know that fool from Van Helsing, and whatever that robot boxing movie was with the kid. True steel or something? Haha.

20. Xerobull

He made those after X-Men.

Real Steel was a really good sports movie for kids, IMO. My son loves it. :)