1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Neighbors, 6/10, Was hoping it would be funnier but meh...

Sex Tape, 1/10, What a bunch of crap. Horrible. Worse than Godzilla horrible.

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Doesn't cover new ground so it is predictable but it's still very enjoyable and beautifully shot.

7.5/10

3. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

youre missing out on a GREAT movie

4. body slam

body slam Member

give me the original any day because the new one sucked

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

World's Greatest Dad 8/10

:grin: Awesome movie. Funny! The young man playing the son should have gotten an Oscar.

It's ironic that the acting didn't help in the last year. :eek:

6. Buck Turgidson

I knew the story (because Thurber is brilliant) so nothing was a surprise, but I thought that was a completely solid fun movie. As you said, very well shot...I'm going to Iceland next summer.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agred
    The Walter Mitty Movie was just fricking boring

Rocket River

8. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

23 Blast (7/10) pretty good heart felt movie. true story.

9. benchmoochie

that's what I said. it reminded me of Raid but the first one

10. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Godzilla - 0.01 - 10 - Where they for real with this? I was hoping they would undo that horrific hollywood version from the 90s with a more authentic re-telling of the original but instead it became monster trucks vs. aliens or something..

Chef - 8.5/10 - Simple story that feels authentic and real. There are very few movies like this imo and it's very straight to the point, with some very hilarious and touching moments and a little drama as if it was a documentary where they follow a group of people close to each other. SPOILER: so happy that Jon did not hook up with Scarlett, as the trailer seemed to imply, would've killed a lot of the authenticity.

Lucy - 7/10 - Simply put: the idea of us being able to use more than 10% of our brain's capacity is intriguing and the fact they explore it, makes it already an interesting story. Pair that with Morgan Freeman and eye candy Scarlett Johansson, though she did fit the part since her eyes have some mystery behind them and she can portray characters like this well, and you have a good movie. It did leave something to be desired, especially because movies nowadays are at least 2 hours long and they decided to squeeze into a mere 90 minutes! A movie about a limitless phenomenon as the brain capacity should be at least 2-2,5 hours long. In my opinion, this decision directly reflects the lack of depth and twists in the story. On top of that, there are two things that I could just not get over: 1) how Lucy was able to use more of her brain's capacity and 2) with the ending. It was already predictable and then they did it in such a weird, overly graphic and long manner, that it took away what was for the rest a pretty solid movie.

Let's be Cops - 7/10 - I cannot even remember a movie being solely about people pretending to be cops and having fun with it, which is why I liked it. The story itself is not important and should not even matter. The strengths should be in the jokes and indeed they are. Just the silliness of responding to a few calls over the police radio, getting high etc. and one of the duo actually getting caught up in it all makes this movie funny. This works best when both of them are opposites to one another. Unfortunately, this is one of the major issues I have with this movie. The acting job by another Wayans brother / son, is all you need to know. He's just too much of a wimp, pair that with the weird gay vibe and girly voice and it becomes too much. The other guy, felt at least real since he's jobless and needs a sense of self-worth. The yin-yang just never seemed to work well. Another big miss for me, was like with Lucy: not exploring the idea of posing as cops more. What made up for it though was that the few ridiculous and hilarious situations they got themselves into, were good enough to give you a good laugh.

Stonehearst Asylum - 8.5/10 - Never read the book, but sure did an amazing job of capturing the mood of an asylum in those times (at least, from what we can take away from stories about those days). It had me from the moment it started to the finish, which is what a good thriller / mysterious movie should do and I might even turn my hand to Edgar Allan Poe's books. The brilliance is also in the cast of Kate Beckinsale, Michael Caine & Ben Kingsley and the choice of not having the music be too present. The story starts off simple, but has several twists that keep you captured to the very end! Just go watch it and one note: Kate Beckinsale was definitely not just a piece of eye candy here!

Hercules - 8/10 - I hate the Rock as a personality and an actor, always overdoing things, just flexing his muscle, talking arrogantly and he gets any role of dumb brute just because. I was then very surprised I liked this movie, maybe because here the Rock was allowed to use some humour and deliver good, inspiring lines at the same time. While the Lion's head was a bit over the top, I loved everything else about the way they portrayed Hercules. Questioning his status of a god, the 12 tests etc. worked out wonderfully as he and his associates are asked to defend Thrace. The story of defying myths and the characters surrounding Hercules, makes it work well that he's kind of a goof. The battles were what you expect: a lot of head slashing (very poorly done), arrows firing and blade to armour battles. The mystery behind Hercules being guilty or not guilty of a certain deed works well. What made this movie extra cool for me was that the lines used for the Rockets 2014 playoff intro were from this movies, did not know that, and worked perfectly (especially in a loud theatre!). A lot of people who thrashed this movie expected the mythical Hercules and do not like the Rock's acting, but if you can get over that, you will very much like this one.

11. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Gone Girl 5 out of 10

Utter disappointment, I was expecting this film to be fantastic.

12. conquistador#11

Fury-8.5/10 Best WW2 film I've seen since that summer of 1998. It took so long for hollywood to bring out a great tank warfare movie, if there is one before this. Does Kelly's Heroes count?

13. benchmoochie

nightcrawler (10/10). amazing. jake G did a good job with his character. really enjoyed it.

14. BonziWellsGOAT

Im so glad everyone is liking it. Im going tonight

15. conquistador#11

Horns- 6.8/10. After the harry potter raps thread, I realized I've only seen harry potter as harry potter. So this is the first non harry potter harry potter movie for me. it was beyond clever, almost as if I was reading a magical realism short story, only 'dumbed' down a little.

16. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Jodorowky's Dune - 8.5/10. Pretty good documentary about the original Dune movie that was never made. Too bad the Lynch version was made years later.

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

John Wick - 7/10

Very good for what it is... a mindless action flick. The dialogues weren't great, the story was ok, no emotional attachment with any of the characters... but the action was grade A.

The only major problem for me was
    Keanu is pretty much always on point with his shots... head shots left and right, but he couldn't even hit the dude's son running point blank with only glass in his way. He had 3 clear shots too!

18. 713

713 Member

Boyhood 10/10

This has to be one of the best movies I have ever seen. Such an amazing piece from Richard Linklater. Do yourself a solid and watch this film!

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Deliver us from evil. Not what I expected. This was more like training day. Are new yorkers this cocky?

I want to the babadook but I'm not paying $12 thru direct because its exclusive

1 person likes this.
  20. conquistador#11

Harry Potter and What IF- 7 /10
    My second non harry potter harry potter movie in a week. Really good movie with a nice music score. It reminded me a little of a dorkier 500 days of summer.