1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Year - Better Offense or Better Defense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by room4rentsf, May 6, 2007.

1. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

What a disappointment.. JVG was smart to not extend his contract now he can walk away from this mess and go back to broadcasting.

I could not understand why JVG left Yao out there to guard CBoozer. He left him out to dry. Like I said in another thread that would be like asking TMac to guard SNash or Kobe (Tmac doesnt guard Kobe, Shane does). Constantly being challenged on the defensive end usually ends with that player being less effective on the offensive end. Where was the use of a Zone all series?

Anyways my question to the board is.. If we look for a new coach next year would you want someone who is defensive minded like (Carlise, Brown) or offensive minded like (Adelman, PJackson) or should we try to recruit a diamond in the rough like (Mario Elie, Del Harris, PJ Carlisimo).

I personally think with a new coach we will maintain alot of the defensiveness (look at Detroit under Flip) but learn new offensive sets or systems.

Our big two could benefit alot from having a solid offensive system in place.

My favorite choices would be

Adelman (Princeton Offense) imagine Yao facilitating that offense like CWebb and Divacs back in the day racking up 5 assists a night. I think he could utilize more of Yao's skills instead of trying to make him a Ewing clone like JVG.

PJackson (Triangle Offense) I think he has the option to opt out (heard during Lakers/Phx series) and bringing in the Triangle will probably help free up TMac from having to create for everyone so often.

Del Harris - Has learned from Nellie and other greats and deserves another chance at a head coaching stint.

J

2. sohrab

sohrab Member

it is so hard for me to part with JVG. i am attached to everyone in the rockets team and organization. this is what happens when you watch every game through the season.

but i really want someone who can bring some toughness and better offense. i think defensively you can survive on the remnants of JVG...

i wish we could have a defensive coordinator and an offensive coordinator

3. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

We were one of the best defensive teams in the league. How could we be any better?

Offensively we need better players.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You got it completely backwards. The coach has a lot more to do with defense than offense. A team's offensive efficiency is, to a much greater extent, determined by the players on the court. What a coaching change might do is give different players an opportunity to contribute. But don't expect our defense to work just the same with a new coach. We don't have a lot of great individual defenders on the team. Our defense was as strong as it was because of first-class defensive coaching.

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

If Phillip is available, of course you make a run at him.

Short of getting him, I don't know how many guys out there I'm comfortable replacing Van Gundy with.

I love Mario Elie, but he's been an assistant coach for 2 years with 2 different organizations. He's not experienced enough to lead these guys to the next level. Do you honestly think T-Mac won't tune him out eventually if he keeps riding him in practice and during games?

Rick Adelman is an interesting choice. I think he'd improve this team quite a bit offensively. I do question his ability to lead a team to a title. He failed in both Portland and Sacramento. But he also helped turn around a Kings organization that people tend to forget was a laughing stock before he got there(Geoff Petrie and the Maloof Bros. had a hand in this as well).

Rick Carlisle is a poor man's Van Gundy. Assuming you replace JVG, it's because you wanna go in a different direction. So he's out of the equation.

Larry Brown is a worth a look. He'd probably only last 2 or 3 years here, but that's likely the Rockets' window of opportunity anyway, so I'm ok with that. He's had success everywhere he's gone aside from New York and even God himself couldn't turn around that mess, so I'll give him a mulligan on that one.

I don't want any piece of Phil Donahue(aka Del Harris). He failed with Shaq and Kobe who were a better version of T-Mac and Yao. Why does anyone think it would work out here? Plus he's in his 70's now.

Pass on P.J. He's been a mediocre head coach at best in the NBA. The dude's been an assistant on 2 Spurs championship teams, yet no one wants to give him another shot at a head coaching gig. That oughta tell you enough right there.

So in summary, Phillip, Adelman, and Larry Brown are my top choices if Les decides to fire Van Gundy.

6. delwater

delwater Member

Jackson will do... for his great adjustments and superB experience

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

PJ , yes, yes and Brown, yes. I think they could keep the strengths to the team JVG brought and add other dimensions.

SVG or Adelman, think about it. I'd put Rudy T in the mix--I actually prefer him as a players coach than Rick.

Newby like Elie, think about it, maybe.

Harris has just been a key man on a loaded with talent elite team that has lost 8 of the last 10 playoff games with no answers, in addition to the LAL failures.

No on Rick C for the reasons discussed.

8. room4rentsf

The main criteria I am looking for in a new coach.

1. I am looking for a new coach that can bring in an "offensive system" that the team can run.

2. Motivational (players coach)

We have two main building blocks now we need a few other pieces.

J

9. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Do we still need some unknown for this team? No rookie head coach. Larry Brown, Rick Carlisle, Rick Adelman are the top three in order.

10. TheNextDLno8

TheNextDLno8 Member

phil jackson!!!

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I voted Del Harris for the heck of it....but really I just want a new coach.

DD

12. New Jack

New Jack Member

One coach I’d like to see thrown in the fold is Terry Porter. I always thought he got short changed in Milwaukee.

13. ihatehyena

ihatehyena Member

Phil will never opt out from his boss's charming daughter. Why is his name on the list? I would pick him, if he is available.

14. ruddy

ruddy Member

I vote "other", Ovbious, Ruddy T. How come you did vote for Del Harris DD?????????

15. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

del harris. yao will be comfortable with him

16. jpsamhyz

jpsamhyz Member

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The best option has to be Phil Jackson. He is still looking for another ring and he helped LA win after some mediocre seasons. I doubt it will happen though

18. sun12

sun12 Member

What you suggest is like this:

With the amount of food only enough for 2 people, you want to hire a cook who can feed 4 people.

No matter how good the cook is, he is not going to be able to feed 4 people.

The talent on this team just is not there.

19. sun12

sun12 Member

Larry Brown never liked Yao. You'd better trade Yao if Brown is hired.

20. room4rentsf

why do you think LBrown doesnt like Yao?

J