1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

114-103, 3+ Minutes Left

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by theimpossibles1, Jan 23, 2015.

?

What would you have done if you were coach?

1. The Bench got us here, they deserve to finish.

65 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Our MVP has to be in the game.

65 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. theimpossibles1

What do you think of McHale's decision to keep the bench players in to finish the last 3+ minutes of an 11 point game?

My opinion:

I don't think Harden was the reason we fell behind by 30 points. The comeback was based on the defensive effort of bench guys like Brewer and Dorsey. Dorsey was also dominating the boards. You have to give the MVP of the team (perhaps league) a chance. Especially when he is your team's designated finisher. Not only is he easily our best offensive option, but this would have given him a major shot at restoring his confidence in pressure situations. I blame the loss partially on McHale's decision but more blame is on Dwight's lack of effort/injury denial.

2. tdo

tdo Member

I'm okay with McHale's decision. Our starters didn't play well enough to win the game, and the bench was the reason we even got remotely close. They had the momentum, and I also think McHale had to send a message to the starters, that to be on the court, you have to be willing to give max effort on the defensive end and boards. If not, you are going to sit for people that will exert the required effort.

That being said, I would have been completely fine with him subbing just Harden into the game. Harden, while he was in the game, seemed to be giving just about all he could. He just didn't have any help. I highly doubt the result would've been any different though.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The only reason the bench got back in the game was because Kerr stepped off the throttle. The Warriors had their scrub line up in. As soon as Curry and Thompson came back in was when Harden should have entered the game because there is absolutely no way that Kpap, Brewer, Dorsey and Sved would erase a 9 point deficit against the Warrior's starting unit.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The game was only close because of the bench, you reward them for that. Also, the deck was already stacked against us, you don't put Harden in and risk injury for a game that was most likely going to be a loss anyways,

5. theimpossibles1

I felt like Harden and the other starters were being punished unfairly, because any unit with a 50% Dwight Howard is going to get smoked by GS. He slowed down the offense, slowed down the defense, couldn't get boards (I could go on and on). I felt really sorry for Harden because he has to stand up for his teammates and maintain a calm demeanor. When we saw Harden on the bench casually picking at his beard looking a bit glum, I am sure he was BOILING on the inside. Hopefully he went off on McHale behind closed doors.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I was fine with the decision.

Also I'd note the scrubs were soon to cut into the lead even more but for what I thought was a pretty weak foul call... I think it was Speights getting fouled on a mid range shot... that he missed... that I didn't think was a foul.

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I thought Harden should have been put in, nobody else though.

At the same time not really mad that he wasn't.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

theres no reason to put harden back in at that point whatsoever. once you concede the game by not playing your starters anymore and calling it a night, thats it. its not even about being punished.

9. theimpossibles1

Ummmmmm..... How bout a Win?

10. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

Steve Kerr putting in his starters at the end was like bringing a knife to a fist fight. His bench was getting their butts kicked by our "scrubs". I think it would of been classier to make his bench beat ours at that point of the game. However, I understand. Why lose a game you have no business losing?

Was anyone else completely irritated when they saw that?

11. Mr Chuck Norris

Well Kerr put his starters back in...

12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

If anything, I felt respected. Kerr didn't assume his bench could beat our bench. He obviously thought we were capable of winning that game, therefore I am not insulted or annoyed at all.

I was annoyed at our pathetic play on both ends of the floor.

As for not putting in Harden, perhaps HE deserved to be put in, but nobody else did. Harden had basically sat the 4th quarter and would have been coming in cold and stiff, not worth it. This isn't some scrub team that we should feel ashamed for getting our butts handed to us, but it should be a wakeup call that our team needs some serious work.

I really think our effort has been lacking the last few weeks. Not sure if that is a leadership thing, a coaching thing, a schedule thing, or what, but it's got to change because we look ridiculous out there.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

at that point the win was pretty much out the window. once every starter is taken out at the tail end of a game when it is clearly not a good night, the game is pretty much an accepted loss.

14. txn

txn Member

You can't defend the GS. That's the reason we lost. I don't see there would be any possibility of a win even you put a worse defender (James Harden) back to the court at that point. It would be more embarrassing that you put James back then still lose or lose even more.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

obviously because they were winning

16. theimpossibles1

No, it made perfect sense. One coach is hardheaded and was trying to teach a lesson. The other one is not afraid of in game adjustments and was trying to win. No surprise here that the latter is a rookie coach with the best record in the NBA.

17. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

On O Harden was fine, but along with everyone else in the starting lineup, he was horrible on D. So im fine with him leaving the players who actually tried to play D and brought us back in the game to have an opportunity to finish it out.

18. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

I totally agree with everything you said. I just felt there was a small glimmer of hope that, as soon as he made those subs, was gone. Yes, some members on our team need a HUGE wake-up call. I remember thinking to myself every time they showed Harden on the bench, how much I felt bad for James knowing he can't do EVERYTHING.

19. theimpossibles1

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1jbtt6OGLms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If he could do it in 33 seconds vs. Bowen and the Spurs, Harden could do it in 3+ minutes vs. the Warriors.

Not saying he would have, but when you get a chance, you take it.

20. basketballholic

If I were Howard I'd be all up in coach's business about figuring out how to get me isolated on one defender with teammates that can actually pass me the ball in the post. It was ridiculous how often they missed him when he was open but then decide to throw it to him in traffic after they've brought their defender right into his gut. And yes I'm talking about you Mr. Beverley.