1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summaries of Vantage Sports Analytics Halfway Through the Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crossover, Jan 22, 2015.

1. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

http://www.vantagesports.com/#team/Rockets

Front page summary points:

1. Rockets are one of the best OFF REB teams with 0.093 OFF REB per chance, a league 2nd best. DEF REB strangely is a poor 0.22 REB per chance, a league 25th rank
    2. Rockets are league worst TO teams at 4.9 TO per 100 Touches, league 29th rank. Yet TO FORCED, Rockets are the best at 0.14 per chance, league 1st place. Very polarizing stats.
    3. Rockets are the league worst at BEAT BACK ON D RATE at 29th place. Transition D seems to be a problem?

Summary Points from older Josh Smith Article (http://www.vantagesports.com/#story/VJsj6SUAADKF3pd7/rockets-unwrap-josh-smith-present):
    • Josh Smith is the fifth most inefficient scorer in the league at .85 points per shot.
    • Josh Smith has excellent FOULS PER SHOT at 0.065 and KEEP IN FRONT % at 69.6%, 12th in league for both amongst PFs (excellent graphics of the Rockets forwards/centers in the link).
    • Josh Smith is also one of the better facilitating big men in the league and should be used more in that role. Papa is one of the few big men in the league even better at it.

Summary Points from Houston TO Problems (http://www.vantagesports.com/#story/VKCCKyUAADKF6Wy9/houston-we-have-a-problem--turnovers):
    • Not just high in overall TO PER 100 TOUCHES but also in UNFORCED TO%. Also a league abysmal AST/TO RATIO. Rockets are just bad at handling the ball.
    • Although both are bad, the BAD PASS is even more of a culprit than the LOST BALL, about 2:1 ratio.
    • TOs seem to happen a lot more frequently during better competition and during crunch time of the games, meaning the Rockets lack composure under pressure.
    • Harden and Howard are ranked 8th and 23rd in the league in TO PER TOUCHES respectively eight other Rockets exceed the league average of 4.10 TO PER TOUCHES. Terry, Shved, Ariza, and Beverley are actually better than the league average.

Morey Points summary points (most interesting one imo)(http://www.vantagesports.com/#story/VKra_ykAAK8KbPSw/on-open-easy-points-and-morey-points):
    • Average team takes 49 "Morey Points" a game - that is, 3PT + FT + Restricted Area shots. Rockets take about 62 Morey FGs a game.
    • However, the Rockets get very few OPEN ATTEMPTS PER GAME. Open shots are generally more efficient than non-open ones. Some of this can probably be attributed to Harden and Howard ISO plays.
    • The author argues that the above is happening because teams adapt to MoreyBall and only guard the 3PT + Restricted Area; they leave the mid-range undefended. Thus, defenses need to guard less area and the Rockets have trouble getting open looks. The author also brings up teams with a mid-range game and how they are able to shoot more open efficiency shots.
    • Rockets are able to still be an average OFFENSIVE RATING (ORTG) team by getting "easy points" or buckets at the FT line. Also, the author says Josh Smith pulls the team efficiency down a lot :grin:. Dallas was apparently league best in easy shots + Morey Points at the time of the article.

Also there's an article about the improvement in James Harden's passing http://www.vantagesports.com/#story/VLUtxCMAACIAQKDP/james-hardens-passing-has-turned-him-into-a-top-mvp-candidate

3 people like this.
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Great post!

TOs are an issue, and probably will continue to be with Harden and Dwight dominating the ball.

Harden is turnover prone, its kind of part of the package of a SG with PG duties.

Howard needs to be decisive in the post and learn from DMo.

3. bmd

bmd Member

What do they consider a "non-open" attempt? Would a post-up be considered non-open? A driving lay-up?

4. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Good question. If it was only inclusive of jumpers, then the data would be even more telling. If it includes lay-ups, ISOs, etc., then I would say that the data is more indicative of running through Harden/Howard and the lack of set plays. Either way though, it seems the Rockets don't get open looks with what they're doing which can't be good.

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

the most frequent open look is the jump shot taken by the 4 or 5, and we don't have a 4 or 5 who should be taking jumpers, open or not.

6. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

If we had Dirk, I'm guessing that we would be okay with shooting more midrange shots...

7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Just because Josh Smith is one of the best facilitating big mean does not mean he should be used more at it.

He also turns the ball over at a high clip due to his Jeremy Lin passing.

Also, does the data support that Josh Smith is better in transition than our guard and wing players at distributing. Because I hate when he takes the ball out of Harden/Brewer's hands on the break.

8. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

The two stats that stand out to me are concerning but very fixable IMO.

Bad passes - this is just focus and putting a premium on the value of possessions.

Beat back - this is just effort and somewhat goes with being good at offensive rebounding

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We've ranked 29th or worse in turnovers the past 3 years. Just a guess but I imagine McHale leads all active coaches in turnovers per game.

10. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Teams are not allowing us to shot wide open 3's they are now allowing us to throw into the post and let Dwight (28.8% conversion rate) go one on one. Everyone stay with the shooters, which spells trouble for us. Instead of posting up Dmo against an overmatched PF or James against a smaller 2 guard.

I can't understand the following:
    1. Why do we continue to post up Dwight who can't finish
    2. Why the coaching staff doesn't force him to run PnR
    3. No movement in the offense to free up more 3 pointers instead of taking forced 3 pointers
    4. Defense is now worse with Dwight on the floor

11. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

I've been telling myself for 3 years we'll clean up the turnovers. Not expecting it anymore. It SHOULD be fixable but we're not fixing it anytime soon

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Very nice post.

Morey ball back-fire. Better competition knows how to optimize their defense against Morey ball.

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I don't know about you guys but majority of the time I can clearly tell it's going to be a turnover even before it happens.

Case in point is some of Harden's wreckless or overly difficult passes and Dwight post ups where he doesn't make the move right away.

Not sure why the coaching staff and team have not been able to fix this despite McHale repeatedly saying we had too many turnovers.

14. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

The GSW blowout losses already made me feel bad. This info makes me feel even more depressed about our chances.

I don't think we shun the midrange. Harden posts up his man. DMo unleashes his hooks from anywhere in the paint. Problem is we don't have enough guys who are good shooters even from midrange.

Harden, DMo, and Terry can score from midrange. But that's about it. If we want more ball movement to get more open shots, we need to change the rotation--get more PT for guys who do move the ball like Papa, Shved (it seems), Brewer, Terry. It's not Rocket science. Howard and Smith kill the ball movement. They should have very specific instructions how to attack like just do pnrs, alley-oops.

There's a breakdown of discipline on TOs and transition defense. Anyone who causes multiple TOs should be pulled from the line-up. And someone needs to be designated in charge of transition defense on each unit. It seems that's the only way they will care again. Coaches should hold players accountable.

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

McHale - clap clap, player harder.

I doubt they practice entries pass to Dwight. Or if they did, they aren't doing it right.

16. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Yes, but this year we are playing a slow offensive.

17. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

So the stats do line up with the eye tests.

I would like to see at least some of a mid-range game, but the team really needs better shooters in general. They don't even shoot 3's especially well considering how many they take, but perhaps that also goes back to them being better defended on the outside because everyone knows that's what they're going for.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Great OP post.

1. Offensive rebounding and transition defense are inversely proportional in general.

2. I've been saying for a long time that mid range shot is like the running game in football. It's inefficient but you need it to keep the defense honest, opening up the more efficient passing game. I've noticed that Harden has been shooting more mid range shots. Just my eye test, not from data.

3. In the past two seasons, we were a running team. That was how we got to be one of the best offensive teams (at least in the regular season). This season, we turned around 180 degree, becoming a great defensive team but we don't run anymore. We used to attribute the high TO rate to our running style. Now that excuse no longer exists.

19. puppytigers

puppytigers Member

Regarding the Easy Points vs Morey Points article, I posted a similar argument on TDS right after game 6 against the Blazers last season.

There's a number of iterations of that very point in Economics, from Goodhart's Law to the Lucas Critique: a statistical observation passively holds true under the conditions of said observation, and by attempting to actively invoke the statistical relation, it is likely that one will end up changing the underlying conditions, often to the point that the relation no longer holds true.

Any observed statistical relation must be backed up by underlying theory before attempting to manipulate the underlying explanatory variables. You cannot simply observe the statistical relation and draw a conclusion from it; you have to understand why and how the relation is occurring.

This is the problem with Moreyball. Simply observing that certain shots are relatively efficient is not enough. It still needs to be backed up by basketball fundamentals before it can be used for constructing an entire team philosophy.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not unproven though, and extreme version of the "Moreyball" principles have been proven in the D league with the Vipers and a more moderate version has been proven in the NBA in that the Rockets were in the top 5 of the league in offensive efficiency the 2 previous seasons.

Now that offensive efficiency is down a bit this season, but that's understandable given that we went from having 3 capable ball handlers in Harden, Parsons, and Lin in the starting lineup to only one this season. Despite that, I think it's pretty well proven that "Moreyball" works when you have the players to run it. If we had a few more ball handlers, we'd get more open shots and things would work better.