1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Good is Beverley on defense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Dec 7, 2014.

1. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I'm wondering if it's the hamstring. He looked like himself to me during preseason and the first couple of games, but he's definitely looked a step (or two) slow since coming back from the hamstring injury. It would be great to see him coming off the bench if Morey can work some magic @ the DL. Interested to know what their Dragic backup plans are (hopefully there are some).

2. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

this i agree

3. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Agreed. Let's bring in a guy to take more touches away from Harden who is arguably the most efficient scorer in the league. :confused:

4. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

I like Beverley. He just needs to stick with his role.

5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

you're missing his point. It doesnt matter how talented Harden is, you want/need other options to alleviate the pressure come playoff time. Harden is only human and will inevitably have the bad game here or there, thats when someone like Dragic or a more offensively capable PG can be extremely helpful

6. hakeemthagreat

Bev's elite defensively. You aren't gonna shutdown a player every single nite. That's highley unrealistic. Players will have great games against you. He's just gotta stay
    consistent. You guys want Dragic badly, the same guy who had 2pts and went 1-5:rolleyes:

The Rockets need to ride w/ Bev the whole year and see if they can get a backup. BTW, we'd be better off with Isiah Thomas or Bledsoe than Dragic

7. jbasket

jbasket Member

I question anything that says Curry is the 2nd best PG defender? Not buying it.

Realistically speaking, to analyze defense, you just have to go through the tape. The only way. There will never be a stat to pick up the small things. For example, Ariza is exceptional at forcing somebody to catch it way beyond the 3 pt line, aka comfort zone. Can't put a number on that, but still valuable. I take these things with a grain of salt.

8. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Very overrated amongst Rockets fans. Especially this year

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

+1

As to Pat's only usefulness on the court, so many people are all about Beverly getting his face in the other's guard's grill (which exposes him to any guard with a good first step, and gives open passing lanes to any decent PG). He's a selfish defender who cannot play in the concept of team defense. He waves his hands and makes angry looking faces...that doesn't mean he's a good defender. I will take the competent PG who plays the passing lanes over the offensively useless PG with the overated defense any day of the week.

1 person likes this.
  10. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Most fans from other teams definitely will rate him higher than most Rockets fan rated him this year.

11. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

The honeymoon period is over for Beverley at ClutchFans. Now every mistake he makes is harped upon nonstop around here. It happens with most players and coaches. We like them at first, but then after a little while we turn on them and think they are no good.

I think Beverley still plays good defense. It's really hard to guard opposing point guards without getting into foul trouble. And just look at some of the players we ask Beverley to guard. The league has some really top notch point guards right now.

Beverley has improved his three point shooting this year, and I think he is doing a fine job. When you consider he gets paid less than a million per year, he's one of the best bargains in the league. He is a good fit next to Harden. I do wish we had a play making point guard for when Harden is out of the game.

12. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Taking things out of context to prove a point...troll much?

Dragic has a sore elbow and couldn't impact the game as much as his normal because he was benched for arguing with official until end of the game.

13. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

He was a great defender last season. He seems to habe taken a step back this season, he's playing through nagging injuries I think. You don't hear it said much but Beverley is pretty injury prone, and that's probably one of the reasons Morey is targeting point-guards at the deadline.

14. basketballholic

I agree with all this.

15. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

i agree.

i actually think beverley will get traded at the deadline. expiring contract and about to get paid while being injury prone. Seems very morey-esque type move to move him now for his new replacement.

16. HRox832

HRox832 Member

Saw this thread when it had 94 replies :D

17. hakeemthagreat

We'll see how "out of context" ppl take it the next game Bev has 2pts on 1-5 shooting, while arguing with the refs. I just ask for consistency:rolleyes:

18. baubo

baubo Member

Yup. Agreed. The fact that he hasn't been good on defense this year does not take away from the fact that he was good the past 2 years. I don't know if it's injuries or contract year thing. But he's definitely not the same guy he was before.

19. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

You can't expect Rockets fan to treat their players the same as others.

20. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Too bad this doesn't factor in stupid fouls which he makes quite a bit.