1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fan etiquette at away games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by madsaaa93, Sep 23, 2014.

1. madsaaa93

madsaaa93 Member

Hi all,

Am heading to my first rockets game against the grizzlies on nov 17 (in memphis), just wondering what sort of etiquette (if any) there is at opposition games? Anything I should or shouldn't do would be much appreciated! I'm from Australia so most sporting events here have both teams in the crowd so it's completely different! Cheers

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

This is America, not communist Australia. Just relax and enjoy the game. If there's one thing that most fans don't have, it's etiquette. As long as you aren't disrespectful you'll be good. Have fun!

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

There shouldn't be an issue in Memphis. Maybe you'd encounter trouble if you went to Dallas or San Antonio for a Rockets game.

I think most folks will be too intrigued with the fact that you'll be an Australian in Memphis cheering for the Rockets, haha

4. madsaaa93

madsaaa93 Member

thanks man, just thought i'd check if they got a bit dirty with me for cheering or anything like that! also going to see dallas v rockets in houston, can't wait!

5. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I've got to agree with Shasta. I don't think you'll have much, if any, trouble in Memphis. I've been to two away games....San Antonio and Los Angeles. Both times, it was hell. Even an old lady was giving us crap in LA. SA was only one person, but it lasted almost the entire game. I think you'll be fine if you mind your business, or even try to befriend the people around you. Believe it or not, there are, semi suprisingly, still some civil people that attend the games.

6. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Ha! Another Aussie heading to the U.S. to see their beloved Rockets!
    I'm going with my wife and kids and have games against the Bulls and Portland pencilled in for early Feb at the Toyota centre.
    Out of interest, which site did you get tickets through?

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Cheer loudly. I went to a game in SA and was vocal throughout. There were a few who tried to give me crap but the Rockets were playing great and won the game so they couldn't say much.

That was the game McHale trolled Duncan on an inbounds play, pissing off Popovich. Though it wasn't shown on camera, Harden stood up for McHale and came at Pop for a while after he threw his fit.

8. madsaaa93

madsaaa93 Member

haha good stuff! umm i used stubhub but i was comparing prices almost daily on other sites like flashseats and tickpick! I got section 126 and row j for the dallas game for us $177 (about $195 aus), so i'm hoping they're good seats!

9. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I'm going to tell you get there early and hangout around the place. There are so many bars and food choices that it's pretty fun before a game. The fans are some of the best I've seen as far as being extremely polite. I went last year when Memphis played The Thunder and there were a couple of people that would cheer when Thunder scored but the only thing I heard was insults about the players. You probably will hear that about James...lol. It's a great town and if you love fried chicken which without knowing anything about Australia knowledge on Fried Chicken, go to Gus's. The best fried chicken. You will not be disappointed.

10. madsaaa93

madsaaa93 Member

thanks for the advice mate, my flight gets in at 4pm so will do, do you mean bars near the stadium or just in memphis in general? as i'm only there for 2 nights unfortunately!

11. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Get there as soon as the doors open as soak it all in.

I guess it's not as big a novelty for people who get to go to games constantly.

But when I made the trek I loved getting to Toyota Centre when the doors opened and watched the individual players filter onto The court and warm up.

Mingle with the fans. Was real fun talking to the people sitting beside me at the games.

12. Panda23

Panda23 Member

was at the doggies/manly game last week, some of the **** people said....ull be fine

13. madsaaa93

madsaaa93 Member

haha i know i go to the footy (afl) every week, crowd can't be as bad as here, just thought i'd suss it out!

14. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Ahh cool thx. I've been checking tickpicks regularly (purchased tickets for a Miami game through them already), but ticketing is obviously different than here with all the reseller sites they have, so wasn't sure if they're legit or trustworthy - especially seeing the rockets aren't even selling single game tickets yet (I created a thread last week on the topic).
    Just couldn't think of anything worse with all the travel and cost to get stiffed on tickets and the missing out. Hopefully just being paranoid.
    Hope you have an awesome time.

15. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

No, bars around the place. It's really cool that there are bars around the stadium so you can have a couple of drinks and grab some food before walking straight into the stadium. It's the best placement for a stadium in a city.

16. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I wouldn't worry. I went to a Dallas game in Dallas, wearing nothing but rockets gear, and had no trouble. I even heckled half the people in my section and had a fan admit harden was better than dirk on the train ride back

17. madsaaa93

madsaaa93 Member

yep people on here suggested to wait until closer to the games cos people flog them off cheap if they can't make it but i didn't wanna take that chance! thanks mate you too!

18. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Memphis is still a division rival, but yah, won't be as bad as Dallas or San Antonio. I went to a hou-SA game in as back in 2006-07 season. We won, and on the way out this drunk guy got all in my face. I laughed it off, but when I got out into the parking lot, the same dude was involved in a brawl and through a bottle at someone's head...glad I didn't open up my stupid mouth before.

I'm going to the Dallas Houston preseason game, I plan on making some good signs.

19. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^ Probably the stupidest thing I've done in hostile territory was wear a red TMac jersey in San Antonio...when they were playing Dallas in the playoffs, lol

My best friends are Spurs fans and dragged me along. I decided if I had to go, I'd do it on my own terms. Most folks were incredulous rather than upset. I wasn't ass or anything, but I'm not so sure I'd do it again.

Funny thing was that I met another Rockets fan sporting a t-shirt at the same game.

20. King901

King901 Member

I live in memphis and will more than likely be at the game as well. So if anything jumps off it'll be us vs the arena lol.