1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

They didn't trade up because they didn't want Bridgewater.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by LelWestbrick, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again, you think you know more than every GM in the NFL. Every GM in the NFL passed on him, yet you say that you KNOW that he's a "bonafide NFL franchise QB", the most valuable thing in football. Pretty arrogant of you don't you think? Couldn't it just be a draft crush that hasn't gone away instead of it being a case of you being smarter than everyone else?

2. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

How often do these NFL GM's make moronic decisions?

More often than not.

I feel like the NFL worries too much about what a player is not, instead of concentrating on what he is. In Teddy's case, his good attributes far outweigh the bad. In fact, all bad attributes associated with Teddy are trivial.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, it's fine that you think that you are smarter than all of the GM's in the league, I'm glad that you at least admit to it. You'll have to understand that I don't agree with that assessment though.

4. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Check your ego man.

Do you realize that the average tenure of an NFL GM is just over 5 years? And the vast majority of their firings is due to poor performance? Hell, that turnover rate is about three times what it is in my job.

The Texans front office has a history of being stubborn and obstinate and believing that they know better. They gave Carr the extension he did NOT deserve when it was clear to nearly everyone that he was NOT the answer. They drafted Mario Williams when they should have drafted a QB like VY. (And before points to VY's career path as an indication the Texans were right, that's results-oriented thinking). Any poker player knows you have to make the absolute correct decision in the moment, after which you may win or lose the hand, but at least you have given yourself your best shot. You have to make the correct decision at the time, and Mario Williams was not it.

This year, the Texans were so sure they knew better than anyone else. They could have easily had Manziel for very little. What did Cleveland give up in order to move up? A 4th rounder?

The Texans desperately needed a quarterback and had a golden opportunity to take one that possessed not only star power and cachet, but true talent, someone who dominated the college game like few before. And what did the Texans do? They dropped a big fat turd, just like they usually do.

Say what you will about Manziel but he would assuredly have already given the Texans more than Fitzpatrick has thus far.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, there's so much fail in this post.

First of all, you want me to check MY ego? I'm not the one thinking I'm smarter than every GM in the league.

Also, you think that Mario Williams was the wrong choice and VY was the right choice? WOW.

Then to finish off, you think the Texans should have traded up for Manziel?

Were you trying to make me laugh with all of that nonsense?

6. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Yes, I understand you regurgitate information from the washed up ex NFL GM's that reside on espn/nfl network.

Personally, I like to think for myself. I watch the film, and make my assessments on that alone.

7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Dont forget keeping Carr in 2006 when they could have landed Drew Brees

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, you are the only person that thinks for yourself.....I really think you are letting your ego run wild.

9. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

I will let Teddy do my talking for me.

Now don't you go into hiding when Teddy establishes himself. :grin:

10. Summer Song Giver

They didn't trade up because BoB was all the hope the fanboys needed, they refilled the hope meter just enough to keep us all around and somewhat positive about theteam, when BoB proves he can't do nothing with out a legit QB, they'll bump the hope meter with an early selection. Just keeping us hungry like they always do... I want the seven course go for broke super size meal option Mcnair... balls to the wall you old ****.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, fair enough.

12. Remii

Remii Member

Teddy has the rest of the season to show if the Texans made a mistake by not drafting him. So does Carr (who hasn't looked bad) and maybe even Zach Mettenburger at some point this season. Maybe if Brady keeps looking like hot garbage or goes down with his calf injury Jimmy G will get a shot. Johnny looks like he's going to stay on the bench except for trick plays (or at least until the Browns are out of playoff contention)... And Blake has the rest of the year to show if the Texans made the wrong decision by not drafting him #1 overall.

So far Carr is the only rookie QB that has been putting in work with some starts that we can debate about. It starts for guys like Teddy and Blake on Sunday when they get their 1st starts.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Guess we will see how good he is this year:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Vikings place QB Matt Cassel on injured reserve. He's done for the year.</p>&mdash; ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) <a href="https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/514765223577018368">September 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

What was the point of ever starting Cassel. They knew they weren't going anywhere with him. Now that AD is gone too it makes even more sense to start TB.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Why . . .to get him killed?

Rocket River

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well he was the best QB on the roster. Pretty straight forward.

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

This place is going to melt if TB has a good game on Sunday.

I like the guy, but I hope he fails...that's the only way I'll be able to visit this board without being annoyed.

18. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Same deal with Bradley starting Henne I think. It sorta gives them a grace period by saying their rookie will be groomed to the system while the stopgap does his role.

With Zimmer he probably thought he could win now with good defense and keeping it close with Peterson, all the while seeing if Norv can turn Cassel into something like Gruden did Dalton.

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I'm very surprised that Xavier isn't contributing already.

Are we in a position to not start our second round pick, which was basically a late first? SMH.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of that has to do with Ben Jones playing well up until this last week. Right now he's struggling with a nagging injury that seems to be affecting his play so I wouldn't be surprised to see XSF get the start this week. Ben Jones is the future at the center position and XSF and Brooks is the future at guard, it's nice to know that we should have a very solid center of the line for a long time even if it is starting out slowly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.