1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Rangers @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

9-22 Nick Tropeano, RHP vs. Derek Holland, LHP 7:05

9-23 Brett Oberholtzer, LHP vs. Nick Martinez, RHP 7:05

9-24 Scott Feldman, RHP vs. Lisalverto Bonilla, RHP 7:05

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I would love a sweep!

Go Astros!

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Jake Marisnick is quietly finishing strong, 1.062 OPS over his last 9 games. Hope he can maintain an effective bat, because he can really go get it in the outfield.

He has a defensive WAR of 2.3 as a big leaguer, in about 1/2 seasons worth of games. Projected out to a full 162 that would be 4.6, which would be the 6th highest defensive WAR ever. Defensive metrics aren't perfect, but that is still extremely impressive.

4. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Looking forward to seeing NiTro pitch on FSSW tonight.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And his WAR was more impressive in CF than it is in RF.

If he's going to be an everyday player, he needs to be a CF. Fowler will make more in arbitration as a CF, so I can see why he wanted to ensure he played the rest of the year there, but Marisnick is the more valuable defender at that position.

Also, what happens when Springer comes back? He's also a plus defender (but is also likely more comfortable in CF), guaranteed to be an everyday player, and would be somewhat wasted in LF.

My ideal OF would be Fowler - LF, Marisnick - CF, Springer - RF... but that's only presuming that Marisnick can keep his batting at above-awful levels (which he has, thus far).

#5 Nick, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yep, the Fowler in CF thing is gonna have to be addressed in the offseason. I really want to keep Fowler, love that OBP, but he is simply not a CF, in fact he has been absolutely terrible this year defensively. He's been subpar his whole career, but the wide open spaces of MMP appear to have really taken it's toll.

Maybe the Astros could discuss extension, with a LF caveat, if not we move him and go after a FA. He simply cannot be in CF next year, and Luhnow knows this better than we do.

I'm OK with Springer in RF, Springer + Marisnick = great coverage, and tandem cannons

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Teach him to play 3rd base

DD

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think the team trades Fowler, and goes with Grossman/Marisnick/Springer OF, even if Grossman seems a better fit as a 4th OF.

You also have Santana (After his cameo, I don't think he will ever be a quality big leaguer) & Tucker in AAA to play LF at some point next season.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Santana should still get any and all opportunities to eventually be an everyday LF for this club... but he's still very young/raw.

Grossman, while he went from borderline AAAA to mediocre MLB player after his last promotion, still should be upgradeable (and likely isn't the everyday LF had Springer/Pressley been healthy).

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah, at this point in the game I'm not really happy with the idea of moving Fowler and replacing him with nothing. I am okay with moving him, but we need to replace him with a proven bat. If not we could very well end up with bad offensive players at every position except 2B and RF.

The big league club can't be a glorified tryout camp forever, and I've been as patient as anybody.

11. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Going to be at tonight's game...hoping NiTro has a good outing against Holland. Holland's been on fire since coming off the IR, I would love to see Jose and the gang beat him up.

12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

LWW. Feldman owns the Rangers this season. May pitch a CG shutout.

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Turnstiles appear to be stuck one hour before first pitch Rangers-Astros <a href="http://t.co/VkOP8Xw2sr">pic.twitter.com/VkOP8Xw2sr</a></p>&mdash; Gerry Fraley (@gfraley) <a href="https://twitter.com/gfraley/status/514190251682955264">September 22, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Gosh. We just need to cut Carter already. I mean how long has it been since he had a HR.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

2 days ago? But before that, September 5th. Only 4 HRs for the month.

16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yep, we are so good that we should cut the guy that has the 2nd most HR in all of baseball

Yep, that's where we are now

On another note, why the heck are we keeping Keuchel and McHugh around? I mean heck, neither are as good as Kershaw, so cut em!

Right?

17. Xercules

Xercules Member

Altuve just jumped to foul that pitch off.

18. msn

msn Member

must spread rep...

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Defense really let Tropeano down for that 4th run. Sucks that it had to go down as earned. Stassi misplayed the ball in the dirt and Villar just short armed his leaping grab.

20. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

[​IMG]

At least he fouled it off :p