1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Lowry / Rockets remind you of Parker / Spurs from a few years ago?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 5, 2012.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I was just remembering how Pops was fed up with Tony Parker several years ago and tried to get rid of him for Jason Kidd. Parker and Pops have always had a volatile relationship on the court even though they both say the right things in the media. The Spurs openly tries to get Jason Kidd and there were many in the media that did not think the relationship between Parker and the Spurs could be salvaged.

Fast forward to 2012.

The perception has been that Daryl Morey has been trying to trade Kyle Lowry and that he and Kevin McHale just can not get along. The belief was that the Rockets would trade Kyle and resign Gogi but it did not happen. The perception at least now appears that Kyle will remain the Rockets point guard by default.

I'm just curious if I'm the only one that sees the similarity between the two situations. Do you think Daryl was really trying to trade Kyle or if that was just perception? I'm also curious if the relationship between Kyle and the franchise can be fixed because it looks like Kyle will be Houston's starting point guard for the foreseeable future.

1 person likes this.
  2. Jamers

Jamers Member

more like hakeem a dacade ago

3. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Pippen in his prime.

4. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

The one thing in common that McHale & Lowry have is that they want to win and they have strong personalities. I think perception is that Lowry has somehow turned into a Stephon Marbury type of player, when that probably isn't the case at all. From all accounts, the players get along just fine.

They don't have to like each other, but if they can respect each other's desire to win I don't see why it couldn't work out. McHale should probably change up his offense a little, and Lowry should be more receptive to whatever the team strategy is.

I remember hearing that George Karl & Payton hated each other's guts in Seattle, but they respected each other enough to make it work. Same with Shaq & Kobe.

5. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I've always felt like the whole "Lowry hates McHale" thing was blown way out of proportion. He wanted to start when he came back from that illness, but McHale decided to stick with Dragic (despite losing 7 games in a row), instead of giving Lowry a chance. Then the front office kept talking about how much they want to bring Dragic back. Lowry felt disrespected (and I can't blame him, honestly), and that's when the "Disgruntled Lowry" article was released.

If training camp comes, and Lowry's the #1 PG on the depth chart, I'm sure he would give it his all on the court during every second of the game, like the Lowry we all fell in love with.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

It's hard to say how much is over blown, how much is just Lowry being upset about Rick being gone and the Rockets changing the offense. But I do agree that when Kyle steps on the court I think he will give 100%.

7. dragonz

dragonz Member

did u just compare McHale to Pops?

8. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

He looks like a smaller, black version of Mark Eaton.

9. Hui

Hui Member

Did Parker throw a ball at a female ref?

10. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

and Dragic to J.Kidd lol

11. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xmp0hMGoFw8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/El2nOmymFwE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rondos incidents were WAY worse, but are the Celtics looking to get rid of him

Give it up.. these guys are not role-models( they are human-beings). And can lose their cool in games with a lot of intensity

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

lowery is better and cheaper than Lin. Why the hurry to trade him? Give him another million a year to
    r the length of his Shi**y contract and he will be happy

14. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Popovic had Duncan behind him, Parker had All Star level talent and to my knowledge Parker was never dangled as move-up trade bait on draft day.

Guess the only comparison is a disgruntled PG.

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That's when Dragic would become a distant memory... and all these posters b****ing about not re-signing him will finally shut the hell up.

You guys really think it's the end of the world because we didn't sign Goran, imo, he's in the same tier or even a tier slightly below Lowry's. It's not like we're failing to re-sign the next Magic Johnson. Get over it. :rolleyes:

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Now all we need to do is find a Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili...

17. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Atleast we have Lowry...and now time to show how Llull will translate in the NBA...bring him to Houston...

All in all its quite horrible that the Rockets werent able to get a deal done with Dragic...and if it is true that the Suns offered 8.5 vs 8(from the Rockets) then Dragic just probably wanted a change in scenery...he and his agent dont think that the team was going in a good direction...and he made a decision for himself...and cant fault the dude for that.

With New Orleans saying that they will match on Gordon, Dragic is taking a huge risk...and he will now be the center point of a Suns offense...and it will be a huge burden when defenses are solely geared at stopping him.

Keeping Lowry has always been ok with me...but considering that the Rockets arent really going anywhere, trading him when he has good value was a good option. Bottom line the Rockets still have someone that can drive the car. Whether he wants to or not...he is under a contract. McHale and Lowry will need to have a talk...

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

And win 4 championships.

When you have a contender on your hands, you work things out. When you don't, you don't have to.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I disagree with the analogy but feel your point. Too many athletes in too many sports over too many decades have 'fought' with their coaches and stayed put.

However, after twice trying to sign his replacement and apparently having him center each and every 'major' trade package I believe he needs to be moved.

But - - there ain't nobody left out there worth bringing in, is there? Sessions? No. Harris? C'mon. DJ in a bigger MKG trade? maybe getting warmer, maybe.

International? OK, let's look beyond the Association's borders. Llull can't get over even if he wanted, right? Is Kill Bill able to come over and would he without JVG (but with DD)? Schved? Is he worth a ruble?

I remember how last Thursday looked so promising and this Thursday looks a whole lot less so.

20. Margrave

Margrave Member

At no point did Parker voice his displeasure, and Pops was not fed up with Parker, he considered going after Kidd because he thought that the Spurs could not win with such a young PG - he was only 19 when he was a rookie, and about 21 when all of that went down.

And, if anything, we should look at that and think how smart they were to stay the course.

The Spurs develop their players and add pieces as they go, the Rockets under DM, are a turnover machine, no player stays too long or gets too comfortable.

The Spurs are in a class by themselves organizationally, the Rockets are a place where playes will sign there only if they have to.