1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carmelo to Knicks? (Nuggets, Wolves and Knicks discuss three way)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by _RTM_, Feb 5, 2011.

1. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Knicks, Nuggets, Twolves discussing 3-team trade. Melo to NYK; Chandler, Corey Brewer, Minny 1st rnd pick to Den; ECurry, ARandolph to Minn

2. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Minny can't trade it's own first round pick since the Clippers own the rights to it....

3. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

they own memphis's pick, lottery protected

4. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6094827

Sources: Three-team deal discussed

By Chris Broussard
    ESPN The Magazine

The Denver Nuggets and the New York Knicks are discussing a three-team trade that would make forward Carmelo Anthony a Knick before the Feb. 24 trade deadline, according to league sources.

In the proposed trade, New York would send Anthony Randolph and Eddy Curry to Minnesota and the Timberwolves would send Corey Brewer and a first-round pick to Denver. Denver would also receive Wilson Chandler from New York.

The deal is not expected to happen until the middle of next week at the earliest, and one source said it could drag out until the trade deadline. Denver, which has been exchanging proposals with the Knicks for the past couple weeks, is weighing other options.

With teams aware of Anthony's desire to play in New York, the Nuggets' choices are limited. With little chance of signing Anthony long-term, few clubs are willing to send valuable assets to Denver.

If the trade with New York and Minnesota goes through, Anthony would be in line to receive a three-year, $65 million contract extension as part of the agreement in what is known as an extend-and-trade.

Since Anthony's preference to play for New York is known, there is some sentiment within the Knicks organization to hold off on trading for him and wait until he becomes a free agent this summer. Such a move would enable them to keep their young assets.

But owner James Dolan has been pressing team president Donnie Walsh to trade for Anthony before the deadline, according to sources.

"Dolan is really pressuring Walsh to get Melo, but Denver has been vacillating back and forth," one of the sources said.

A trade to New York would end the season-long saga that began last summer when Anthony refused to sign the contract extension with the Nuggets.

Late in the preseason, reports of a potential four-team deal with New Jersey, Utah and Charlotte that would make Anthony a Net surfaced.

But league sources say the deal was overblown and New Jersey was actually leaking the story in an effort to pressure Denver's new front office regime of Josh Kroenke and Masai Ujiri into making a deal.

Last month, reports of another potential trade of Anthony to New Jersey surfaced, this time involving the Detroit Pistons. That deal was close to being agreed upon, but Anthony was reluctant to sign the three-year, $65 million extension with New Jersey.

Anthony agreed to meet with the Nets but owner Mikhail Prokhorov called off his club's pursuit of Anthony in a news conference a day before the scheduled sit-down was to take place.

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

can he just go to NY already? god this is ridiculous.

it would make for a very interesting first round in the east.

bulls vs knicks first round. and knicks will win if melo goes to NY.

6. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Hard to believe this is all the Nuggets can get for Carmelo.

7. likestohypeguy

It's weird how they keep saying it like this, as if it were insubordination.

1 person likes this.
  8. AFS

AFS Member

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

How sad. Denver waited themselves out of a good deal if this is all they get. We can offer more but after all this I'd rather take my chances somewhere else.

10. Woohoo777

Woohoo777 Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6094827

not good... :(

11. Jet036

Jet036 Member

The thread title made me think it was official. Scared me. Hopefully it falls through.

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Not surprising if it happens or doesnt happen. He'll just sign there as a free agent anyway.

13. Shaud

Shaud Member

I will believe it when it's official. I thought the trade to New Jersey was pretty much a done deal and that didn't happen.

14. Relentless

Relentless Member

Melo to the knicks?!

Omg...who would have ever thought

15. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Wake me up when somethig actually happens with this guy. At this point, a breaking news wouldnt even be a splash, but a tiny mist.

16. Audioout

Audioout Member

That trade was probably submitted by the Knicks. I don't think this will cut it for a resigned Melo and if it does both Denver and Minnesota's GMs are dumber than I thought.

This is a more likely and fairer trade.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4jyvp4k

Denver gets: Brewer, Chandler, Gallinari plus Minni first

NY gets: Carmelo and Harrington

Minni gets: Curry, Randolph, and Landry Fields plus future NY first.

17. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

That is an absolute steal if they Knicks get Melo and only give up Chandler, Anthony Randolph, and Curry.

I hope they somehow have to give up Gallo or Fields as well.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I know, its barely better than letting him walk

2 role players and a protected pick is garbage

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I think this is the whole point though?

Either they take SOMETHING for him now, or get absolutely nothing once the deadline passes.

Getting a decent talent in Chandler, and then a versatile bench player in Brewer, and also a mid range first rounder is surely better than nothing?

'Melo won't sign the extension with anyone else, so makes it pretty hard to demand much.

This is always the way it happens when big stars want to be moved to a certain place - either you get something, or nothing for them.

20. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

wtf?

I didn't create my own thread, especially in GARM!