1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading up

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Bonomaniac, Jun 12, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Bonomaniac

Bonomaniac Member

What do you think the Rockets could get by packaging all 3 draft picks?

I'd like to trade up for Battier

------------------

2. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I've heard that the Rockets have offered the 13th and 18th pick to both Vancouver and New Jersey for their pick, 6 and 7 respectivly.

------------------

3. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Vancouver wants Richardson so they will likely keep that pick. I don't understand why they want Richardson when they have Rahim and Dickerson. They should be after Eddy Curry or Kwame Brown.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I wonder if the Grizz want to win NOW and can't wait for the High Schoolers to develop.

Richardson gives them some options - 3 guards w. SAR @ PF, or being able to package Dickerson and/or Big Country.

I can see lots of upside to taking JR, but I feel they would be better of trading down to obtain additional players (Haywood, Woods, Tinsley, Murphy, White....) The Grizz have good players but bad team chemistry. JR alone won't change that.

-----------------
    Raef to Rocks in '01-'02!

[This message has been edited by GATER (edited June 13, 2001).]

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

hahah give us a clue!

------------------
    "Break off the block like Maurice Green" --- Steve Francis

President of the Moochie Norris fan club.

6. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

So, who get's the Number One? Us? Or Boston?

------------------

7. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

So the Wiz get Walker and the 13th, the Celtics get the 1st pick and scraps from us, and we get 10 and 11 which we then use to trade down for 5,6, or 7. At least that's what I hope happens!

------------------
    "Modern bourgeois society with its relations of production, of exchange and property, a society that has conjured up such gigantic means of production and of exchange, is like the sorceror, who is no longer able to control the powers of the nether world whom he has called up by his spells."

8. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

The worst thing we could do his assume that the dickering over who gets what is complete as yet, Tacoma my friend.

Let's say that:

Walt( a veteran three with only a year left on his contract, and therefore very desirable to MJ's contract ridden Wizards) OR Cato (a big man with defense that both the Celtics and the Wiz need desperately) and #13 and #18 from the Rockets?

Boston loses #10 and #11 and at least one future pick.

Washington losing #1 straight up.

Scenario A :

Rockets gain the #1
    Wizards gain #10 and #11( and a Celtic future)
    Celts gain #13 and #18 and the player

Scenario B :

Rockets gain the #10 and #11 and (a Celtic future)
    Wizards gain #13 and #18 and the player
    Celtics gain #1

My preference would be Scenario C :

Rockets gain #10 (keep our #18), Wizard Future 1st, Celtic Future 1st
    Wizards gain #11, #13, a Rocket player
    Celtics gain #1,#23

------------------

9. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Holy, Moly!! Scenario C would be sweet for the Rockets, but from the Wizards standpoint, they give up # 1 this year, and a future 1st rounder for #10, # 13 and Walt??? Maybe I've been listening to you too long, OP, but that looks like a bad deal to me.

Since you mentioned it, if it is scenario A, would the Rockets take Curry?

------------------

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yikes pops. Owning picks 10 and 11 would be very nice, indeed.

Could the Wizards possibly have motivation on eyes for Olajuwon.

------------------
    "I think alot of people find Cato's game to be very offensive." -aelliott, comparing the offensive skills of Kelvin Cato and Michael Olowokandi

11. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I see what you're saying now pops. The Wiz wouldn't want Walker and his 71 million dollar contract. Like other have said though, it seems like the Wiz would be getting screwed in scenario C, however I do like the future considerations the Rockets would be getting. I assume the wiz pick would be lottery protected(no better than 5), no?

If we did acquire the number 1 pick, I would think it'd be a toss up between Griffin, Brown, and Curry. I would probably steer clear of Brown, though he's probably the best of the bunch, because the Rockets IMO are assured of retaining Mo or stealing Webber from the Kings. So, the question would be Griffin or Curry? Personally, I would want Griffin, but his history of temper problems might be a detractor to consider.

Pops, please answer these 2 questions for me.....

Will the Rockets make a deal on draft night(switching of picks), or will they draft for another team with the intent of moving those players at a later date? Which of these scenarios is more likely?

How do you rank the top small forwards? Mine are as follows... Battier, White, Johnson. I'm giving White the benefit of the doubt, because his agent leaked a rumor that he played great in a private workout in LA(biased source) and I haven't heard anything about him from Rockets camp so I assume that either he didn't impress them or he is the player they are truly targeting.

------------------
    "Modern bourgeois society with its relations of production, of exchange and property, a society that has conjured up such gigantic means of production and of exchange, is like the sorceror, who is no longer able to control the powers of the nether world whom he has called up by his spells."

12. Justin

Justin Member

maybe- Rockets trade Cato and 13+18+23 to clippers for 2nd pick overall and 2nd round pick.

The Cippers want veterans and leadership not another young Highschooler.

[​IMG]

13. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Look to the Nets and Chicago as steady pressure to unleash an earlier pick.

But the newest deal of the last three days has Washington (#1) and the Celtics (#10 & #11)playing paddy-cake with the Rockets (#13 and #18) in a three way with players added.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Curious ... er, and curious ... er!

------------------