1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Perry's Economic Plan, Drill Baby Drill

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Oct 14, 2011.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Seriously

2. Classic

Classic Member

I'm all for it. Lots of good paying jobs would be created.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Yup.

Jobs like these:

[​IMG]

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

look, don't want to be a hypocrite because i support the xl pipeline. but if you believe opening up more fed land for drilling is the answer you need to do a little more research.

its a fallacy, the only reason oil companies lie to you and say the price of oil will go down with more drilling is because they want to take advantage of the current price.

they want to drill as much as they can right, now, oil is a global commodity, it won't reduce our reliance on foreign oil

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Perry has enough money to stay in the game a long time. He probably doesn't have much of a chance left but I'm not quite ready to bury him.

7. Classic

Classic Member

I support it with strings attached. Is green energy the future? Absolutely. Is it economically viable at the moment? Not yet....but soon.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

totally agree that green is the future but not viable right now. i'm more about the natural gas.

don't get me wrong, i'm no environmentalist but i think we have enough oil for now. the reason i really support the pipeline is because the oil is from canada

9. Classic

Classic Member

I guess in my mind I want to see the exploration open back up but end the subsidies or redirect those subsidies towards the clean energy efforts and infastructure. I know we'd all like to be using clean energy sources within 10 years but you just can't transform an entire economy overnight built on cheap crude. You talk to people in the oil and gas sector and it's supporting industries here in houston and business was really hurt by the EPA/Fed's decisions to limit drilling that sent rigs to brazil and other places. A lot of people got laid off in a lot of different roles because of those federal decisions based on an anomaly in the middle of a recession.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Good firefighting jobs!

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

[​IMG]

Good thing I don't have kids. I'd hate to see the world we leave behind.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sometimes things get accelerated when people's feet are to the fire....gasoline prices go up, Green energy becomes more viable, and get cheaper by the minute.

I do like the natural gas idea, that is a step in the right direction, but why we don't have solar panels all over our deserts and wind generators on a lot of hill tops is beyond me...

DD

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

the faster we use all the oil, the faster we will have to get a viable substitute...let's put the pressure on those researchers!

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Because no one lives in the deserts to want electricity there?

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Let's Annex Mexico!

16. cml750

cml750 Member

Getting away from our dependence on foreign oil makes too much sense. It would create tons of jobs and would help the economy tremendously. It may go against the "green" agenda however I seriously doubt we would be giving 1/2 billion dollars loans to companies drilling for oil only to see them go bankrupt. This just makes too much sense.

17. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Unfortunately Perry slashed our budget for firefighters. Looks like we'll have to let those oil fires burn.

18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Oh, for Pete's sake.

To riff off of pgabriel's post, there is no foreign oil and there is no domestic oil. There is only world oil. If a company drills for oil in the US, we don't get a break on the price as it goes immediately into the world oil market where the price is influenced much, much more by Middle East production. If we produce more oil, they will decrease production and the price will stay where they want it to be. The only way we can reduce our dependence on "foreign oil" is to nationalize oil production and annex a few countries like Mexico and Venezuela and Iraq and Russia.

I truly don't understand the appeal of this kind of rhetoric to Repubs. It makes absolutely no sense and if they were to do something to implement even a smidgen of what they imply they want to happen, it would necessitate a huge government takeover of one of their major supporters. Since they don't want to nationalize the oil companies, the only conclusion left is they are spinning sound bites and hoping their supporters don't think it through. This is either utter nonsense or complete cynicism, take your pick Repubs.

The sooner we wean ourselves off of oil of any kind the better.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

on oil, the stock market is up but oil is trading down today. it usually follows the stock market, and it did recently shooting up about ten bucks in the last two weeks but today a very bearish report came out. again, oil supply is really good right now confirmed by the weekly government report that comes out every wed.

20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Coal is King. Oil is King.

Oil is king of transportation fuels. Vehicles run on oil based fuels.

Coal is king of electric generation. In 2009, according to the Energy Information Agency for electric generation:

Primary Energy Type - # States
    • Coal - 26
    • Natural gas - 11
    • Nuclear - 8
    • Hydroelectric - 4
    • Petroleum - 1 plus DC

Solar power accounted fo rless than 4% of all electricity generated in the United States. Wind power was the largest non-hydroelectric renewable resource.

[​IMG]

In fact, the only non-greenhouse emitting large scale energy source with the capacity supply base load power that is capable of replacing coal and natural gas is nuclear. Doubt whether that is going to happen in my lifetime.

Texas electrical generation by type: natural gas (45%), coal (35%), nuclear (10%) and others (10%).

Oil and natural gas truely are the king when looking at total energy: coal, nuclear, natural gas, oil, coal, hydroelectric and others:

I spent part of my life wishing that we (the world and the US) could get off our addiction to oil and dirty energy. Because with oil comes wars, defecits, lies and corruption. However, since my juvenile days I have learned to stop worrying and love the fact that oil will not be going anywhere anytime soon.

So why not drill here and drill now?