1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hassan Whiteside

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Nov 25, 2014.

1. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

All he would have to do is give half a fuc and he would making 5 mil a year as a competent back up center. Since cant do that no thank you.

2. _Numberfifty

_Numberfifty Member

Some individuals grow on trees, other individuals grow like trees ...

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

So you're saying that in the time that Whiteside spent with the Rio Grand Vipers last year the Rockets were remiss in their judgment of his abilities?

Look, Whiteside has always shown flashes of ability because he is a physical specimen and has had some monster games - in the D-League. That's why he has been kicking around at the fringe for years. I hope he has a great career and retires a Rocket.

The Rockets know better than anyone here what he is capable of and chose to pass.

4. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Some players just take time and right team to mature and succeed. Gerald Green, Blatche did pretty well in limited role off bench later in their career.

5. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Green is a valid comparison, but Blatche averaged 13.6 points/game in the NBA from age 22-24. He wasn't a mediocre dleague player for years like Whiteside.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If he were a bit younger I'd be interested. He's 25, going to be 26 this summer.

If he's being called a "project" at that age by the Heat, then I think it's not worth the benefits. If he hasn't turned the corner as far as attitude goes, then is it really worth it?

Especially when we have Tarik Black? A guy who has the motor to go out and play hard every night, make an NBA team against the odds, and now has a good amount of NBA experience early in his career. He has been acknowledged for defense in his college career. He has been acknowledged for his exceptional GPA in his college studies. Not to mention he turned 22 just 4 days ago.

I'll take option two any day. I stick to my prediction that Black will improve steadily into a legit rotation player. He looks lost out there right now, but you can tell he's learning. He'll be effective for us in 15 minutes per night. Between him and D-Mo, I don't think we should go after a backup C.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You never fAil bringing garbage NBA2K analysis.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I hope he retires a Viper tho. The guy was a fringe bench player in the Dleague. Was not even a fulltime starter.

9. CertifiedTroll

Whiteside is a lesser Thabeet

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Holy crap, when are we ever going to stop with the Hassan Whiteside fascination threads?

Yes he's 7 feet tall.
    No he's not secretly good.
    Yes, him not even being able to crack the rotation of the Vipers means something about his future as a professional basketball player
    Yes, getting tossed from a Summer League game showed incredible maturity issues.

NO the Rockets should not have regretted their decision to draft Patrick Patterson over Whiteside like so many folks here were violently angry with the decision a few years ago.

NO the Rockets should not sign him thinking he's going to all the sudden turn the corner and figure out how to play the game of basketball.

Yes.... we should move on.

11. CertifiedTroll

If you thought Asik had bad hands wait till you see Hassan 'Infinity Potential' Whiteside! I have never seen a big with such a soft touch!

12. basketballholic

No. What I'm saying is rather than tie up two years of salary in Joey Dorsey whom has never shown anything in the NBA and whom for some reason we had to give 2 guaranteed seasons to, we should have taken a non-guaranteed flier on Whiteside.

Some things are a crapshoot. The Rockets themselves are not the ultimate experts in evaluating talent. They simply do the best job they know how to do. Because IF they were experts, they wouldn't have drafted Royce White, they would have taken Sullinger (the guy I wanted instead of Terrence) with that pick, and they wouldn't have traded a pick for Terrence Williams,........and they wouldn't have signed Trevor Ariza the first time. Let's not pretend the Rox talent evaluation department is infallible, ok?

I questioned the Dorsey signing at the time it was made and still question it today. I can't explain it. It was too fast. It was like Morey was concerned that he had to get somebody and it was too early in free agency to get any of the other guys to commit to a minimum salary contract. Look, he gave Dorsey 2 years, 2 years....to get him signed.

For goodness sake, Cole Aldrich was available then. We could've given Cole Aldrich 2 years and been better off.

Not necessarily. The truth is they may know sometimes. And there are things that we don't know behind their rationale for signing a player like Dorsey to a 2-year deal. Perhaps they've already got a future trade booked sending out Dorsey to a team that wants him? Perhaps they had a trade brewing that cleared out DMo/Terrence and others that fell apart? There are a number of unknown things to us. But what I do know for sure is there were better centers on the free agent market who later signed for the minimum and I know Morey knows that as well. Dorsey was the guy he signed at that particular moment. But the timing and reasoning remains unknown.

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

You have picked the perfect word for describing the possibility of signing Hassan Whiteside.

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I saw this guy play for the Vipers last year. He was not very good then. Do you think he suddenly got really good? I mean, this guy was riding the pine most of the games.

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Fixed. And you're expectations of predicting success are ridiculous. The Rockets are very very good at finding talent. Period. There is no argument for this. Your argument is that they're not perfect. Really? Genius stuff, man.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Still think he would've been a nice addition as backup-c, hope Capela turns out to be our much-needed backup with size and length.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/m-9JGp31oqI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Looks like he is finally getting it, good for him.

DD

18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Don't like how he flips it up like he's Wilt Chamberlain. There can only be 1.

19. CertifiedTroll

I would rather sign Thabeet than Whiteside. Thabeet has more work ethic. And before anyone tells me "Thabeet has no work ethic" I will say that is the point.

20. basketballholic

Weren't you high on him in the draft?

I could tell about a year ago that he had finally gotten it and was ready, only needed a shot. I'm just glad it's Miami and not one of the other true contenders.

If Miami continues to run him out there in the rotation I think they'll make a solid run in the East. Andersen/Whiteside is 48 solid minutes of paint/rim protection.