1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luis Scola Scout Video 1/3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Realjad, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mua33uljNoM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mua33uljNoM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I'm sure no-one recalls but when we signed V-Span I made a V-Span Scout video http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=116880
    BTW most of the clips are cut quickly after the play in this video because I had to meet the 10-minute requirment. The other two should be smoother paced.

Well now we have Luis Scola so it's that time of the year to produce some Scola scout videos.. I'm going to break it up into a three-part series covering 6 total games. 4 will be his league games and 2 will be athens games. The one posted above is from the two athens games. I include about every clip of him with the ball that has action. This includes the good things he does and the bad things he does so you get an equal opportunity to judge him. Also I made a spelling error on the title. Remember that his scout video right her eis from athens and is from 2004, the other two I will post are from 06/07 and from his last season. Leaving around a 2 and a half-3 years worth of improvements.

My scouting Notes:
    He camps in the lane alot, in FIBA i don't think there is 3 seconds but he is going to have a tuff time here in the NBA, I think I counted him standing under the basket for 15 seconds straight once. Also during free throws he always picks up lane violations, I think he got 5 or 6 in two games.. I'm not sure if it's a balance issue or whatnot.

He isnt fast nor quick but he isn't slow, he wasn't as physical as I thought he was, he's more finesse then physical. He can get sloppy with the ball but DOES has a sweet touch around the basket. He fouls ALOT, mostly OFFENSIVE fouls. He always doesn't rebound, plenty of times I saw him boxout and then not even jump to get the rebound. He makes alot of turnovers BUT his passing skills are badass, he can deifnitly pass for a big man.

The comparison of Manu Ginoboli but at PF is 100% in-accurate, they are not alike at all. However he does show ALOT of emotion during the games and plays hard. His outside shot is a no-comment until I finish watching the rest of his games.. These notes here are just for things I've seen that are consistant through all the games I've seen him in up to this point.

Conclusion :
    He wasn't his normal self in Athens, either that or you can make the arguement he isn't as awesome as he usually is against better competition, so his skill-set will look different from this video compared to the other two I'll post. However I do not think he can come in right now and be our starting Power Forward, Chuck Hayes is a much better fit until Scola can adjust, he isn't near ready as many make him out to be to come in and start right away. Remember that this scout video is from athens and 2004, its now 2007 and he has improved.. The other two videos I'll post are from last season 06/07.

#1 Realjad, Jul 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  2. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

oh no! what are we gonna do? oh god! burn the houses, kill the women and rape the horses.

3. huynhct

huynhct Member

you. are. awesome.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Good work but...

1. Athens is 3 years ago. I wonder what has changed about his game since then.

2. There is 3 second violation in FIBA. Just to clarify.

5. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

Wow nice vid...

Nice to see the bad side of him also, people are getting too carried away with what we've got... I still like him tho.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Well done, Realjad. Interesting to watch ...

7. xlr817

xlr817 Member

Thanks for the vid.

8. francisfan4l1f3

seems like he plays wild, and i did not see any outside shot attempt go in. I think were just gonna have to wait and see how he adjust.

9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

It looked like he was playing C there mainly. While he won't be a superstar when he first gets here, I think it will be a lot different for him since someone else on his team will be towering over him.

10. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

This is awesome Realjad. Looking forward to the next one.

11. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Crazy, the refs didn't call him for one 3 second.. but he deserved several.

Also yeah, the other videos I'm working on cover four of his league games from this last season, so you all can see the updated and improved Scola.. However at the time of Athens Scola was still seen as the 2nd best player in Argentina and best foreign player not in the NBA. My other videos should be up Monday,Tuesday or Wednesday.. Probably Wednesday because I'll be recovering from wisdom teeth being pulled and will have free time on hand.

BTW thanks for all the positive feedback and to the guy who mentioned him playing center.. I noticed that to and yes he was playing center throughout the athens games.

I think with Scola and Yao both having great passing ability and post moves they could be a deadly combo when Scola adjusts and fixes a few of his liabilities.

#11 Realjad, Jul 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You're hard work is really appreciated. I'm looking forward to more of your scouting videos, Realjad.

13. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

I don't know how much I'm going to judge Scola from this video since it was 3 years ago. I'll be waiting for the 06/07 one.

Thanks for the hard work.

14. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Thanks man, this is great!

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Thanks for scout video, Realjad.

Out of curiosity, where did you get tapes from?

16. cmiller

cmiller Contributing Member

Thanks so much for the video!

After watching it, I have to say I'm not all that impressed. I like his passion and agressiveness but I'm not sold that he's an NBA ready PF.

17. AGBee

AGBee Member

Oh no, Scola had a rough game against the US All Star team 3 years ago....we're doomed :(

We're losing all of our games vs the All Stars this year, book it!

18. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I agree, but I think that passion and agressiveness will make him an above average starting PF by the end of the season.

19. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Thanks for the Vid!! Looking forward to the next two. I think this guy is going to contribute more than some people here tend to think. I like the fact that he RUNS the floor. He's got good size and is active around the basket... not scared to use his body to get his shot off. I think due to our "new" offense, and a coach who will be willing to use his skill set (my shot at JVG), that he won't have as tough a time adjusting as many think. I think the play style of Adelman will make his transition a little smoother than expected.

20. Fuse

Fuse Member

I believe that video was from almost 3 years ago. So it is extremely hard to make a judgement based on one game, and of all ones, against the US.

I saw some highlight videos on his 2005-2006 season and he looked much improved in those.