1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq out 4-6 weeks after knee surgery

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HAYJON02, Nov 17, 2006.

1. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Looks like his collision with Hayes caused more damage than we thought. Hayes is only out 2 weeks. We got the better end of that incident.

2. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Yeah, I was rather suprised to hear this news. I guess Hayes outshaqed Shaq.

Knee surgery is a pretty big deal for a guy his age who is already clearly on the decline.

Miami might have it tough this season...

3. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

yeah right. shaq didnt even flinch when they hit. he's just milking his 'injury' for as long as possible.

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

The same thing happened last season, so it's not that big of a deal.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I find this extremely interesting, considering I'm having surgery for the same injury on Tuesday. Torn cartilage. I did mine about 4 years ago, but have been "getting by" on it ever since. It's not too painful (once the initial pain goes away after about 2 months...for me at least). Then, your knee just feels unstable, and it clicks and locks constantly.

It will also lock out of place on occasion.

The surgery is arthroscopic, and my doctor actually told me to try getting around on it without crutches Tuesday night, so we'll see how that goes. He actually told me I only need to be off sports for 2 weeks, but I could see how with someone as large as Shaq (more stress on the knee), and in such a sports-level, where he would need more time.

Anywho, I just thought it was pretty interesting how we're having the same surgeries.

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Per ESPN.com....I hope you don't mind Hayjon.

Shaq to have knee surgery, miss four to six weeks
    Associated Press

MIAMI -- This is one repeat the Miami Heat didn't want: a serious early season injury to Shaquille O'Neal.

Shaquille O'Neal
    Center
    Miami Heat

2007 SEASON STATISTICS
    GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
    4 14.0 7.5 1.3 .453 .444

The 13-time All-Star will undergo knee surgery and be sidelined four to six weeks, the Heat said Friday. O'Neal tore cartilage in his left knee Sunday against Houston, an injury originally diagnosed as a hyperextended knee.

Last season, O'Neal sprained his ankle in Miami's home opener and missed the next 18 games. He sat out a total of 23 games, and the Heat went 10-13 without him before their postseason charge to the NBA title.

O'Neal missed Tuesday's game, practiced Thursday and was expected to play Friday against the New York Knicks. But the Heat announced shortly before tipoff that he would undergo surgery, with the date to be determined.

O'Neal, 34, wore a sport coat and tie as he watched the game from the bench. He missed two games earlier in the season with a bruise to the knee and would miss 18 to 25 games if sidelined four to six weeks.

His latest injury, a flap tear in the articular cartilage, occurred when he collided with Chuck Hayes of Houston. Hayes is expected to miss up to two weeks with a bruised and hyperextended left knee.

The defending champion Heat have yet to put their entire starting lineup on the court together. Guard Jason Williams, returning from arthroscopic knee surgery July 21, played for the first time this season Friday.

O'Neal, who has averaged 14.0 points and 7.5 rebounds in four games, was replaced in the starting lineup by Alonzo Mourning.

Team physician Dr. Harlan Selesnick will perform the surgery on O'Neal, who can begin rehabiliation immediately afterward, the team said. The projected timetable for his recovery means he would return sometime from Dec. 23 to Jan. 7.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

------------------------------------------

Actually, we have the same kinds of tears and everything. Kind of neat.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is very bad news for the Heat. I predicted they could finish ~5th seed in the East. Shaq missing 4-6 weeks won't kill their season, but it will put pressure on "tired" Dwyane Wade to carry an even heavier load than normal during that time and for a while after Shaq returns. The injury may help the team to focus and get out of it's lethargy for a while, but they just don't have enough talent to be the team standing at the end, IMO.

8. docgundy

docgundy Member

Hayes misses 2 weeks, Shaq has surgery

They both collided knees. We're fortunate that Hayes won't be out too long. Shaq is set to have surgery and will miss at least 6 weeks. Just wanted to bring up that we're pretty lucky on this one.

9. HoopsFancy

HoopsFancy Member

heat will have a tough time making the playoff this season... they are getting blown out by the knicks as we speak.

10. Caboose

Caboose Member

that sucks for Miami. I have a feeling Shaq's gonna retire soon.

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

Not that interesting.

12. HoopsFancy

HoopsFancy Member

i mean the heat will have a tough time getting home court, playoff should be no problem coz the east is weak.

13. HoopsFancy

HoopsFancy Member

how soon? caboose

14. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Eastern team should thank Hayes and the Rockets. ;)

15. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

Thanks for sharing the insight. :rolleyes:

16. eman

eman Contributing Member

The legend of Chuck Hayes just keeps growing :eek: .

17. allen69

allen69 New Member

hayes is so important to hous, hope he come back soon.

18. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I heard Chuck Hayes went to the Virgin Islands but when he came back they were just called "the islands"

19. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

Since Chuck Hayes took out the Diesel. Does that mean he is the New Diesel? Or do we just call him "The Diesel Destroyer"?

20. Caboose

Caboose Member

a year or two maybe. I'm not positive but it seems like things keep going downhill for him health wise. Well I shouldn't really say that cause they won the title last year but I don't think he'll hold up that much longer.