1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did you appreciate Bobby Sura when he was here?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jan 31, 2008.

?

Did you appreciate the X Factor?

1. Yes, I loved the way he played when he was out there

201 vote(s)
    82.7%
  2. No, Sura was an "average" player just like any other player

37 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. Never knew him or saw him play

5 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh how quickly we forget ..
    or is it that we don't know and pretend to know to be cool
    I remember you Bobby Sura
    [​IMG]

Paper: HOUSTON CHRONICLE
    Date: FRI 01/14/2005
    Section: Sports
    Page: 1
    Edition: 3 STAR

ROCKETS 94, NETS 85 (OT) / Sura steps up to ease pain / Rockets follow lead of injured guard to put a hurting on Nets

But in grinding out a win, they might have left behind the dreary early months of the season spent losing such games.

"We get out to that rough start and a month and a half, two months ago, it would have gotten worse for us," said Sura, who had a career-high 35 points. "To be able to bounce back, play better, this was steps for us."

But the problem is those steps could remain labored and painful.

Sura's sore right knee continues to hang over the Rockets' season; McGrady left a third consecutive game because of an injury (a strained left quadriceps).
    "Bobby is what I call the X factor on our team," McGrady said. "He goes out and lays it all on the line on the court, defensively, offensively.

"He's the floor general on this team. He's the energy guy. We just follow his lead."

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is why I like Scola and Landry so much.....

We need guys that play so hard it makes the ones that don't feel guilty and play harder...

DD

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He was my favorite Rocket at the time and a guy I had been wishing for ever since I saw him come off the bench while playing for Detroit and frustrate the hell out of Francis.

4. tinman

Supporting Member

yeah,

those diving for loose balls, take charges, STANDING UP FOR TEAMMATES , playing with bad injuries..

those stats don't show up when other people try to google him to say that they know..
    but they don't know..

on top of that Bobby Sura SINGLE HANDEDLY REVIVED the DOWNTOWN HOUSTON SCENE HIMSELF

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

bobby had a swagger about him that exudes toughness, confidence, and even gangsta.

scola is just a kind soul who tries hard. landry is not there yet but can.

sura was my favorite player on that 04-05 team b/c he just has that swagger about him. i remember distinctly in the playoffs, josh howard fouled yao HARD for no reason and what did sura do? he put howard on the floor later in the game b/c howard just trying to post up.

nobody on our team has that swagger right now.

i wish he wasn't injured. i believe if he manned the PG position right now w/ alston being the back-up (or brooks), oh my, the possibiilities of this team. i see greatness written all over it.

6. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

sura was easily my favorite player. brought the attitude and the heart to the team, that was really needed.

funny this thread came up... i just finished watching the 1st game against the blazers highlights. he was interviewed and it was nice to see him. for those of you who remember, he said he would try to come back next year. :D

7. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

Sura wasn't your average player. Average players don't have the heart and swagger that he brought to the court every night.

tinman, you should've made this a public poll.

8. Asian Sensation

Who didn't like Sura?

9. Keivan

Keivan Member

I remember him very well and I miss him. 04-05 was such a great season and Bobby Sura was a big part of it.

I wish he could come back, too bad his injuries have killed his career.

10. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

can anyone find like a youtube video of when he was with the rockets? i can't find anything. thx

11. tinman

Supporting Member

Paper: HOUSTON CHRONICLE
    Date: FRI 05/06/2005
    Section: Sports
    Page: 01
    Edition: 3 STAR

Game 7 will cap a series that has it all

Emotions flared during the game when Yao Ming had to be restrained from going after Josh Howard after a hard foul. Then Bob Sura squared off with Howard.

Afterward, Mavericks coach Avery Johnson lost his temper in a postgame interview.

As expected, Van Gundy got the loudest ovation before the game. It didn't stop there. By the time it ended, Toyota Center had more noise and more emotion than ever.

12. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

lmao!!!!!!! :D

I still see that dude out all the time

13. tinman

Supporting Member

I'm sure the person who thought Sura was just average would show up and tell us after WATCHING SURA PLAY why he thought he was just an average player.

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Wrong.

Matt Maloney.

You probably mean Midtown, because we know how much of a Houston guy you are.

I like Sura. I love Steve too, but I loved how he punked Steve in that game vs Orlando.

We don't have enough of those type of people on the Rockets.

15. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Bob Sura

04-05 10.3 pts, 42.7% FG, 75% FT, 5.5 rbs, 5.2 assists

16. setdarkness

setdarkness Member

I was just going to say the same thing. What wasn't to like about Sura? The guy was a competent floor general, rarely attempted a play outside of his ability, and, though he was not an imposing presence, he was darned tough and didn't take any crap whatsoever. I miss him.

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

here is a video i made a while back (i havent made any videos in a while been lazy CCR does such a great job of them too) has my tribute to Bobby S in it.

some NSFW language

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1uXVlpPwXag&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1uXVlpPwXag&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Dude, when I was in Htown there were no metal detectors at the gentlemen's clubs.

I remember that place SPY downtown.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

that's excellent for a role player with a Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady playing under a Jeff Van Gundy team.

20. abc2007

abc2007 Member

That's true! I think now the rockets need a pg with his stats.