1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why doesn't anyone really want Hassan Whiteside?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Levi, Jun 27, 2016.

1. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

I think he's being frank and it's refreshing, dude.. Most players are in it for the money and need to make sound financial decisions off the court to make sure their money counts for something when they retire or God forbid, get injured.

Yeah you can control the media and say rubbish like 'i live for the game and don't care about my family because only the game gives me happiness and I want to work my ass off blabla..'

But what about those whom the game didn't give back to. Those number waaay more than the Kobes and Lebrons who control the media, but also happen to have huge branding businesses behind them. Difference is, Jordan is a businessman who happened to play the game really really well.

2. OTMax

OTMax Member

You are supposed to be the GM that finds the Whiteside's of this world, not pay them. We had him before so not going to happen for 2 reasons ;)

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

There's no issue with him being frank talking about the money, the problem is is he actually said that on tv. Think about it, would any person with his head on straight say that out loud? Like if you go to work and your colleague tells his boss and everyone else who would listen he's all about the money and the least amount of work and the instant somebody offers him a bigger paycheck he's out the door you think that person would be given a promotion and significant pay raise?

The fact that he would say **** like that doesn't mean he's being honest, it means he has a few screws loose and thus is not a worthwhile investment of multiple years and millions of dollars in his contract. Its not just off court, even in his contract years Whiteside has shown a level of immaturity and hot headness that is disappointing considering he is already 27 years old, he is like Rasheed Wallace he has an issue controlling his temper and thus in the playoffs if he starts dominating just send your 5th bench dude to shove him a couple of times and bam! Double personal fouls and instant ejection.

And at least Sheed was a heaven favored basketball prodigy who had really solid basketball skills so you could live with him being so immature. Whiteside puts up a lot of stats but its like Kevin Love stats, a lot of it right now is just empy stat padding in the style of De Andre Jordan, for example he lets his opponent take a shot so he can attempt to block it rather than playing solid paint defense so his opponent won't even be able to take a shot.

I don't even understand how you can compare MJ to Whiteside. Whiteside is more likely to pull a Royce White or Larry Sanders than a Magic or MJ, and if he was a real businessman he wouldn't have to say it because it'll show in his assets. The reality is he's probably just putting in the money for his homies' ventures and is on the path to ruin like majority of NBA athletes.

A lot of his statistical accomplishments right now are dependent on his athleticism, in 3 years when he's 30 that's when athletes suddenly start slowing down will he still be worth the 22M contract? Or will he be injury prone and lose his hops like D Rose? Considering his low maturity level and arrogance right now I doubt he'll have the dedication to keep his body in top shape, when his athleticism goes away I think he just becomes an albatross contract around a team's neck.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Bynum without the injuries was a beast, so yeah?

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Defensive rating is a lousy stat that doesn't tell you anything, look up his real advanced stats on defense and you'll see how overrated he is on that end.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he just needs some cliche lessons.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KeVca9MwDX8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He's a fantasy basketball player, he doesn't seem to impact winning actual basketball games all that much yet.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Did Brandon Roy ever get reached his payday before he lost his legs? Or was he still in his rookie contract?

9. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

So, the answer to the question posed by the thread seems to be some combination of:

1) Questions about personality, specifically whether he is mature enough to continue being a successful basketball player and whether he actually cares about winning as opposed to his brand/money.

2) Questions about his actual impact on winning games, given that his gaudy numbers do not seem to affect the flow of the game.

3) Questions about his durability and whether he might be injury prone.

4) Questions about his fit on a D'Antoni offense.

End of thread.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Whiteside in the Western conference would be just another F/C and wouldn't be in the max discussion.

... then again I guess almost all F/C's are in the max discussion today. :(

11. eman

eman Contributing Member

This. Well, maybe he won't go full Larry Sanders. That running the floor and hustling business, though, may not be this businessman's business decision.

12. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

The question should be, "why didn't we keep him the first time?"

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I agree with all the concerns, but he's talented, and the Rockets are desperate for talent. I'd roll the dice.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Want to be clear on Hassan Whiteside, he'd like to stay in Miami - they can offer biggest deal, but he's not romantic about it. Its business</p>&mdash; Steve Kyler (@stevekylerNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/747753514252763138">June 28, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hassan Whiteside Impact<br>on <a href="https://twitter.com/MiamiHEAT">@MiamiHEAT</a> this season<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NBAPlayoffs?src=hash">#NBAPlayoffs</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HeatvsRaptors?src=hash">#HeatvsRaptors</a> <a href="https://t.co/2obfZjHTE0">pic.twitter.com/2obfZjHTE0</a></p>&mdash; Leo Cohen (@Leo_HoopsIQ) <a href="https://twitter.com/Leo_HoopsIQ/status/729072899139600384">May 7, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here are Hassan Whiteside’s shot types since the break. 50.0% on jump shots is pretty impressive (36.5% pre-break). <a href="https://t.co/5vGBOORntq">pic.twitter.com/5vGBOORntq</a></p>&mdash; Michael Gallagher (@MikeSGallagher) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeSGallagher/status/714848543572230144">March 29, 2016</a></blockquote>

Also the Heat are better with him off the court vs with him on

15. basketballholic

That is circumstantial. You know that. It doesn't mean he shouldn't play nor start.

#35 basketballholic, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Same old story with Whiteside. He has always had the tools and showed flashes.

I remember watching him with the Vipers and you could see it then: beast mode or least mode.

I was happy for him when it looked like he had finally put it together; but I would still be skeptical of giving him max.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This guy is going to open up a big can of quit as soon as he signs his contract.

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'd rather sign Sanders on the cheap (with team options...) and use the cap $ elsewhere...
    Seems a shame to dump that much money into a center when we have Capella... Idk how much someone like Speights is gonna get... but I'm thinking we just want someone to split time with Capella...

20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Follow him on snapchat for a week & you will see why.