1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For Sale TONS of Hakeem Olajuwon Basketball Cards

Discussion in 'Hot Deals and Classifieds' started by JackLordsHair, Oct 10, 2014.

1. JackLordsHair

JackLordsHair Member

I used to collect basketball and football cards up until about 15 years ago when I sold practically everything I owned (probably 10K + cards) to a dealer. What I did keep were most if not all of my Hakeem Olajuwon cards which included common cards, but predominantly and specifically Insert cards in particular, Mystery Finest, Refractors, Die Cuts, numbered editions etc. I probably have 300+ cards over all, with as many as half of them being inserts. These include Upper Deck, Topps, Skybox, Bowmans Best, Fleer etc etc... Rather than go on ebay and deal with that hassle I figured I would come to the forum to see if any die hard Hakeem fan might be interested first. Not looking for crazy money as most of Hakeem's cards, like all the players of that era, have dropped pretty markedly in value since they retired. Most of the more valuable ones have been kept in hard plastic sleeves or are in screw down protectors so all are in NM or Mint condition. I haven't yet put a word or excel spreadsheet together denoting each card, but if someone is seriously interested and PM's me about this collection I will do so and we can work out a price. I am thinking somewhere in the $ 150-200 range at most. These cards are mainly from the era when the Rockets won their championships and the following years until he went to Toronto. Sorry, please note that I do NOT have an original Fleer 82' Rookie Card.

2. what

what Member

Or, the only card that matters. Sorry but your "collection" is worthless as you probably already know.

3. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

They are definitely not in high demand like the 90s but to say there are worthless is a bit much. You will be surprised that people will buy anything. I just had a bunch of junk in my garage so I decided to have a garage sale. Made 300.00 bucks.. you never know.. the right person who loves Hakeem may see this as a bargain and buy them all.

with your negative ass lol

4. VanityHalfBlack

What's going on here guys?

5. JackLordsHair

JackLordsHair Member

Perhaps in your opinion they are, and yes of course the R/C is the cherry but that went when I sold all the other stuff including a 1/23 MJ auto'd Upper Deck Ionix card that i opened from a mini box bought in a Kmart in Central PA.

Probably list the whole collection on eBay and perhaps a hardcore fan might want them just thought I would give Clutchfans a try since it is a Rockets fan forum/site. Thanks for the positive vibes though dude...

6. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

Well then, as you probably already know, the theoretical presence of a nonexistent card won't effect the lot's value regardless. There is no Olajuwon '82 Fleer RC. Hakeem's 1986 Fleer card is considered his rookie card. The only Hakeem card available previous to that was created by the Star Company.

7. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I got a Star 85. Not sure what it's worth. Except it's Akeem so...priceless I'm guessing.

8. JackLordsHair

JackLordsHair Member

That's right I meant 86' sorry for the the typo there. The Star "RC" was 84-85, and I did not have this one. As I recall a lot of those Star and Fleer cards were counterfeited about 15 years ago for a collectible card show on TV that sort of predated or ran in conjunction with an early version of QVC where they were selling stupid amounts of crazy "miraculous warehouse" finds of the 86 Fleer cards and they were finally caught and all those idiots that bought that crap were totally hosed.

Anyway, regardless, I do not have either of those cards and perhaps "what" is right, the collection is relatively worthless, especially if I try to sell them card by card, I was hoping a big Hakeem fan (and of course a card collector) might be interested. As it stands if I were able to unload the whole lot of 175+ cards I am only looking for about .75 a card, many are in the $ 10-20 book value and a few of the refractors card dealers on line are asking $ 25-50 for. So it's a steal for a Hakeem fan and card collector in general...

9. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I got the Fleer Rookie and the Star Rookie if anyone is insterested.

10. what

what Member

I didn't know Hakeem had an '86 fleer rookie card? You know something I don't know.

11. JackLordsHair

JackLordsHair Member

To get any kind of real money they have to be PSA graded, which frankly I never bothered doing when I had the 86' Fleer rookie card. The whole card "industry" became so over saturated in mid/late 90's it sort of sucked the fun of collecting out of it for a lot of people.