1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our Assets vs. Others looking at a PG and PF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mrjohn, Sep 29, 2014.

1. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

There has been a lot of recent talk about our collection of assets and how impressive or not impressive it is. But let's actually compare them to other teams so we can really see how they stack up.

First let's start off with PGs that we would want and that are/could be on the market. (In no particular order)

1) Rubio
    2) Bledsoe (if the decide to trade him later)
    3) Rondo
    4) Teague (wait for it)
    5) Walker (I don't see this)
    6) Jackson (if OKC panics)
    Others perhaps: Dragic (I wish), Deron (no thanks)

So what teams could see these guys as upgrades and are looking to soon pay a large salary on these guys? (In no particular order)

1) Knicks
    2) Detroit
    3) Miami
    4) Dallas
    5) Houston
    6) Minnesota
    7) Lakers
    8) Sacramento
    9) Indiana?

So 9 teams have a need and desire to pay for a PG. Teams like the Sixers, Jazz, etc. are probably not looking to pay until they get better.

Now these 9 teams can try to acquire the PGs mentioned by trade or free agency. This offseason has mostly shown that the players will chase the money and the home team has the advantage (see Bledsoe, Bosh, Melo).

So what assets do these 9 teams have and would entertain giving up in order to enter the sweepstakes for the 6 PGs on the list.

1) Knicks: Shumpert, Hardaway, Early?, Larkin?, 2018 first rounder?
    2) Pistons: KCP, Is Monroe still an asset?, 2016 first rounder?, 2nd rd picks
    3) Heat: Napier?, Cole, Chalmers, 2017 1st rd pick?
    4) Dallas: Wright, Crowder, Mekel?, Ledo?, 1st rd pick
    5) Houston: Papa?, Jones, D-Mo, Capella?, Canaan, 94 ft, Johnson?, Pels 2015 1st Round special pick, 2017 1st, 4 2015 2nd round picks
    6) Minny: Not sure what they are doing
    7) Lakers: Hill, Kelly, Randle, Clarkson?, 2015 Rockets 1st rounder
    8) Kings: McLemore, McCallum, 2017 1st rounder
    9) Pacers: Hibbert?, 2016 1st rounder

Homer glasses off, the only team that could have better assets than us AND has interest in those PGs is the Wolves. So if Rubio is on the market, I don't see anyone beating our offer.

Now what "stretch 4s: good midrange or decent 3pt shooter" are on the market that would make sense for us - what I think that means is that there salary is either still on rookie contract so we can be in the FA market next year or the player is very good and worth committing to.

So in no particular order:
    1) Jared Sullinger (developing 3pt shot, can play backup C also, rookie contract)
    2) Mirza Teletovic (expiring contract)
    3) Amir Johnson (expiring contract, can also play backup C)
    4) Taj Gibson? (Could play backup C also, would likely kill 2015 FA chances)
    5) Ersan? (I don't see him as being good enough to kill 2015 FA chances on)
    6) Millsap (How about a Millsap/Teague trade?)
    7) Ryan Anderson (Not sure)
    8) Darrell Arthur (expiring)
    9) Ryan Kelly

Thoughts: So for some of these guys like Teletovic, Arthur, Kelly you would not have to give up much. If we are in the Rondo sweepstakes, I would like to roll the dice on Jared (despite health concerns). I don't think he would cost that much.

Now for the guys on the list with higher value such as Millsap, Gibson, Anderson and Johnson. What teams would be interested in their services?

I would generally think they would have to playoff-ish teams since these guys are not young, upside guys.

So how about these teams:
    1) Toronto (Johnson out, other in type of framework)
    2) Brooklyn (Mirza out, other in framework)
    3) Cleveland
    4) Atlanta (Millsap out, Anderson in framework?)
    5) Charlotte
    6) Miami
    7) Houston
    8) Kings

For this breakdown, it varies quite a bit from team to team.
    Chicago has Noah, Gasol, McDermott, and Mirotic. They are also about to pay Butler big money so I think (if there are going to trade Gibson) they would want a combo of expiring contracts, rookie contract talent and future picks for Gibson.

Houston could offer Capella, Terry, and future picks. Our future picks trove is pretty impressive so: a) if Gibson does come on the market b) Morey deems him worth bypassing the max-ish 2015 FA option then we would be near the top of the list for his services.

Atlanta I am not sure if Atlanta would entertain trading Horford (and his value needs to be boosted since he is recovering from injury) and Millsap is older and an expiring contract so I think he's more likely to be traded as Atlanta is a not a contender.

What is Atlanta looking for? I think they are looking for a star type opportunity. They also have a 3pt-centric offense. Of the 8 teams listed, I think there are only 2 teams that can satisfy the Hawks and that is the Rockets or the Kings.

Houston can offer the chance of a star type opportunity with the Pelicans pick+Terrance Jones+expiring package. And if the Kings offered a package including McLemore and an unprotected future first - that would be interesting to Atlanta.

Pelicans Ryan Anderson needs to prove he is healthy and his contract runs for 2 more years so I am not sure if Morey would want to pursue him again. But considering they have Asik and Davis in the frontcourt now, would they want to pay ~8.5M for someone who is coming off the bench?

Raptors Amir Johnson has been tinkering with the 3pt shot, can defend 4s, and can play some backup 5. He's an expiring contract also. His value is lower than Millsap so it wouldn't take as much to get him. They also have P-Pat who can do somewhat similar things.

Conclusion When you consider the available PG/PFs, Houston can offer one of the best packages to those teams (if they want to do so).

If Morey wants to stay flexible for 2015 FA, I recommend going after Amir Johnson for an upgrade at PF. We could even use the TPE to take Barea (if you consider him a pg upgrade) and receive some future assets for that.

And if Morey wants to get his 3rd star type talent before the deadline (Millsap, Rubio, Bledsoe), we CAN give the best offer those teams will likely receive.

REP ME if you appreciated this.

10 people like this.
  2. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't think our assets are high like you do, but I would be happy if the Pelicans pick plus Jones could get us Amir Johnson in return.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Nice post, OP.

Personally, I am waiting to see if Nikola Vucevic is going to sign an extension before the October 31st deadline. If not, then I think we need to seriously consider making a phone call to Orlando. Reports are that Orlando wants to pay him $11-$12 million a year which is what Derrick Favors is getting right now but Vucevic's camp is wanting max money. Is he worth max money? If you're comparing him to other big men out there I think he's up there. And if his shooting continue to improve (he's in the mid to high 40% on his mid-range), having him play alongside Dwight would be great.

Of course, this is wishful thinking as always.

5. photojoe

photojoe Member

Well thought out and interesting read.

Asking for rep is probably the best way not to get any.

6. photojoe

photojoe Member

I'll admit that I don't think I have watched a single Orlando game in years, so I'm not too familiar with Vucevic. But he's a 7'0 Center. Wouldn't he and Dwight have similar problems as Dwight/Asik? Are we really going to try to have Vucevic guard 4's who can space the floor....like LMA?

7. steddinotayto

The thing about Vucevic is that he's a double double monster. It's VERY true that he's a center but he can shoot fairly well from all areas of the court.

See shot chart HERE

While he doesn't possess a deep ball 3 like Ryan Anderson did when he played with Howard in Orlando, Vucevic can drag his defender out 18 ft and that's a big plus.

This doesn't even touch on the fact that he's a very good defender and could play some minutes at the 5 when Howard sits.

Again, this is just wishful thinking :grin:

8. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Can you provide evidence to support your claim? I think it's all relative so what team has needs at pg/pf that can outbid us - while the deal still makes sense for their team?

I think jones plus pels pick is more than needed to get Amir deal done. I would not do that if I were Houston.

9. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

That's an intriguing idea - one I haven't thought of but I have 2 concerns.
    Mobility: I think Vucevic would have to slim down if where to mostly be guarding 4s on a nightly basis.
    Cost: the league thinks of him as a 5. The price of a 5 is very high.

Offensively, right now - it could probably work though.

10. basketballholic

Agree on Vucevic. I've been intrigued with him for awhile since he was in the draft. In fact, I'm going to add him to my signature. Will be interesting to see if he signs an extension and for how much or does ORL shop him.

#10 basketballholic, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  11. steddinotayto

I don't think you would have to ask him to slim down as Howard is mobile and strong enough to cover the Blake Griffins, LaMarcus Aldridges, etc of the NBA. It's like running the Twin Towers again but instead of Omer "Stonehands McGee" Asik you actually have a player that's not offensively inept.

Conversely, having a player like Vucevic could keep Howard healthy and ready for the playoffs and might prolong his career as well.

12. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Hopefully Dwight gets his prime mobility back but he seems out of his element when he has to guard rangier players.

I would not be opposed to the acquisition. But what do you think it would take in terms of cost?

13. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I like the thought that you put into this but our assets are not going to get us anything close to a star unless half the GM's in the league receive lobotomies. Actually I sometimes think that Morey received a lobotomy at the beginning of the summer. We are not only worse in assets but we are worse on talent. He did a bad job this summer it's ok to admit that and move on without calling for his firing. We are not getting Rubio, lol. Just because you say that you've taken your homer classes does not mean you are no longer a homer behaving like a homer. We simply don't have the right cards to win this hand.

1 person likes this.
  14. steddinotayto

Oh it'll cost us. Since he'll still be on his rookie contract matching his salary won't be an issue but you're looking at the obvious (Pelicans' 1st), the guy with some upside (Jones or DMo), more assets (probably a 2nd Rounder), and another player (Nick Johnson? Canaan?)

I think the potential outweighs the cost. He had 36 double-doubles last year and shot 50% between 10ft and 16ft and 40% from 16ft and the 3.

Would I prefer giving up those assets for a true point guard? In a heartbeat but looking at the landscape right now, it's slim pickins'. You get Vucevic and you still have the ability to throw a sizable offer to another free agent next year as you can max him out after the fact.

15. finsraider

finsraider Member

Meh. That goes against Dwight's instincts. He doesn't want to leave the rim area.

Whoever plays the 4 will need to be able to stretch out to the 3 point line if necessary. Patterson could do that. TJones has the potential to do it. Bosh can certainly do it.

I don't see a big plodding body playing next to Howard.....whoever it is needs to be mobile.

16. steddinotayto

Good points. I just love Vucevic's shot chart :grin: and the fact that he can hit his free throws at a 75% clip makes him attractive.

17. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I'm not sure why Dragic wouldn't be on the list. Outside of Rondo, I think that he is more likely to be moved than any of the other PGs you listed.

18. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

It just unlikely right now.

19. Remlap

Remlap Member

Chandler who???

20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

What makes it more unlikely than the other guys he listed?