1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big Name Free Agents To Houston Now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigkstrong, May 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. bigkstrong

bigkstrong Contributing Member

With the postseason success of the undermanned Rockets, does this make them a magnet for big name free agents? I will hang up and listen?

2. Landlord Landry

yep. Dwade is on his way. Bosh too.

3. Grimm920

Grimm920 Member

I'm on the DWade wagon... wishful wishing but with Morey at the helm you never know

4. bigkstrong

Wade is actually who I had in mind. I believe that he wants to win now and he is out in Miami.

5. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

i really hope dwade makes his way to downtown houston.

6. Drunk_Goat

Drunk_Goat Member

sure does, which means ak47 is coming. ;-)

7. Landlord Landry

he's not coming to houston. no bosh. no LBJ. no paul. no amare. only mike james.

8. bigkstrong

I didn't say he was coming. But I do think that Houston will be among the teams he considers.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

NO. Players are after one thing:

[​IMG]

Bosh is the most likely to leave his team, because he doesn't want to be in Canada. Joe Johnson may also be inclined to leave Atlanta, but he fought hard to get there.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The Rockets' play certainly does not hurt the chances of a free agent coming here. If you're a star player I think you are looking at guys like Scola, Battier and Hayes and thinking how much easier your job could be with those guys having your back.

11. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Al Harrington can opt out of his contract this summer. Anyone else like to see him backup Yao?

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

we still have a year left dont we? anything can happen in that year, mimai may swing a big trade to get him help, we may have more bad luck, who knows...too early to say anything right now..

13. drowsy11

drowsy11 Member

NO WAY Dwade leaves miami. miami, along with orlando, phoenix, LA, and NYK will always be top free agent destinations, wade WILL get more help plus he has a young team - NO WAY wade leaves. its fine to dream but people need to stop thinking it is realistic. plus, unless its via trade, we wont have cap room.

14. bigkstrong

We have trade assets, expiring contracts. I believe that we can be in play being that we are currently 9 games away from a world championship without Tracey and Yao. Doesn't that make them expendable for a real superstar. Although, I would love to keep Yao if we didn't have to max him out.

15. ncagg42

ncagg42 Member

2010 is very overrated and here is why, yes many players contracts are done in 2010, but look at lebrons/wades situation:

Dwayne Wade: Has a lot of very good talent around him, the only problem is they are very young. Michael Beasley didn't start but was still the second leading scorer. Give them a little time and they will be a top team in the east. The heats main goal is retaining wade, and there isn't really a better opportunity then wat wade has in miami with all that young talent.

Lebron: Cleveland is going to throw as much money to lebron as any team in the league. The only team lebron might leave to is New York, but when it comes down to it, Lebron loves cleveland and he knows what he means to cleveland. Why would he want to leave to a city that never has treated their stars well. If i was a superstar, and I had the choice to be just another athlete in one city, and be the guy in another city, id wanna be the guy. Lebron is cleveland.

And out of any team that should not worry about 2010 it should be the rockets. We will be right around the cap going into 2010 and already have enough guys on our roster who will be demanidng money.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

it makes them expendable, but it doesnt make them wanted. We're not exactly dumping 2 or million dollars here, we're talking like 20 mil each. Its not that easy when your're trying to give injury prone players

17. ibm

ibm Member

money talks louder most of the times.

lebron - 1% chance
    wade - 5%
    bosh and johnson - i don't necessarily want them any way.

am i leaving anyone out?

18. bigkstrong

You are right that it is not easy, but it is not impossible. Morey got us Ron Artest for Peanuts. He also dumped bad contracts such as Steve Francis, Mike James, Bonzi Wells etc. Don't sleep on Morey. Also remember how the Lakers acquired Pau Gasol.

If you hear what I am saying, I have not made any hard predictions about what the Rockets will be doing in 2010 or prior. I think that their recent success just makes them a more appealing team for a quality player that wants to win NOW.

19. Shaud

Shaud Member

I see a lot of people wanting Joe Johnson.

Well I also see a lot of Hawk fans complaining about him saying he disappears in the playoffs.

20. juanschwartz

juanschwartz Member

Yao to Orlando for DHoward and RLewis and/or Turk. :)