1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Negotiating with Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pugsly8422, Feb 26, 2011.

1. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

How do you think the conversations go down when one GM calls the other? Yes one obviously tells the other he is offering or wanting something, but it never stops there (unless there is no interest), and also probably includes some sugarcoating. Most deals, I would assume, go back and forth for a while. So thinking about this, it makes me wonder just what was said when Morey was making these last two deals.

How do you think the conversations went with Phoenix GM Lance Blanks and Memphis GM Chris Wallace? Here is my best guess:

Aaron Brooks deal (with Lance Blanks):
    Morey - Hey Lance, we're looking to move last years MIP, Aaron Brooks, you interested?
    Blanks - Possibly, what are you looking to get in return?
    Morey - Gortat and a 1st round pick.
    Blanks - We're not moving Gortat, and this would leave us with 3 point guards.
    Morey - What about just Gortat, no pick involved?
    Blanks - No deal, we're not moving Gortat.
    Morey - Ok, how about Dragic and an unprotected 1st round pick?
    Blanks - Dragic is a great backup, great team player and has shown a lot of promise. Obviously Brooks is unhappy in Houston. I believe Brooks for Dragic would be a fair trade.
    Morey - Brooks put up nearly 20ppg last year, was the MIP and he showed what he could do in the playoffs, not just 1 playoff game. Ask anyone, they'll tell you Brooks > Dragic.
    Blanks - Fair enough, we'll add in a future 2nd round pick, top 40 protected.
    Morey - No deal, the main reason we're doing this is for the 1st round pick.
    Blanks - Ok then, we will give you a protected 1st round pick for the 2011 draft. If it is a lottery pick, we will convey the Orlando first round pick to you.
    Morey - Deal!

Shane Battier deal (with Chris Wallace):
    Morey - Hi Chris, I think we can help each other. You're in the playoff hunt and could use some veteran leadership and great perimeter defense, as well as an expiring contract. We could use a big man with some upside, care to deal?
    Chris - Sounds intriguing, what do you have in mind?
    Morey - We will take Thabust, I mean, Thabeet off your hands and save you some money there. We will give you Battier, one of the greatest team players and veteran leaders in the game. We're saving you money, giving you an expiring contract, giving you a player that can help you in your playoff run this year and you're getting a fan favorite. All we ask is a couple of future draft picks.
    Chris - Thabeet was the 2nd player taken in the draft, he's 7'3", you can't teach size. Big men are coveted in the NBA. You should be giving us a future pick along with Battier for Thabeet.
    Morey - I don't see how you can say that, you never play the guy, he's obviously not in your future plans. Why don't you get out of it while you can, and get something in return rather than paying him 5m+ next year to sit on the bench?
    Chris - The boy has potential, he just needs time. I could see him in our starting lineup next year.
    Morey - Ok, we'll also take DeMarre Carroll, another bench warmer, off your hands, and give you a great young up and coming PG in Ish Smith.
    Chris - So Thabeet+Carroll for Batter+Smith?
    Morey - Also some future draft picks.
    Chris - We don't have much to offer in terms of draft picks. Our 2014 2nd round pick is available.
    Morey - Ok, but we went a 1st round pick as well.
    Chris - We owe Minnesota our first non lottery pick, so you will be behind them in the pecking order. It's unknown when we will have a pick available to you.
    Morey - That's ok. Put us down after Minnesota. 2014 is fine for the 2nd round pick.
    Chris - We're not giving you both picks.
    Morey - Ok, then we'll take the 1st round pick.
    Chris - Only way we'll do it is if the pick is lottery protected throughout.
    Morey - That will work. If it hasn't been exercised by 2016, then we will receive your 2nd round pick and $3m cash.
    Chris - Sounds good.

This is probably too simple (I don't think Phoenix would have given into Morey so fast when he turned down the 2nd round pick and said he wanted a 1st rounder). There's most likely more pushing and pulling that goes on, but with the deadline near, I wouldn't think you could do much of it. I'm just really curious about what is probably offered in the negotiations that go back and forth. Does each side give just a little each time?

I can only imagine how often people get hung up on, laughed at, or see Morey on their caller ID and get the chills.

Pugs

2. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Memphis deal probably more like this.

Wallace: Hey Daryl, we hear that everybody is available. What would it take to get Shane Battier back in Memphis?
    Morey: Shane can be had. We are very interested in Rudy Gay.
    Wallace: Rudy is a big part of our future plans, he cannot be had.
    Morey: What about OJ Mayo? We hear that he is available.
    Wallace: It would take more than just Battier to get Mayo from us.
    Morey: Would not be willing to give up more. Are Randolph or Conley available?
    Wallace: No.
    Morey: Then why did you call for Battier if nobody is available?
    Wallace: We can give you Hasheem Thabeet.
    Morey: No deal. Battier at least plays.
    Wallace: What if we throw in DeMarre Carroll and take Ish Smith from you?
    Morey: No I don't see why we would do that?
    Wallace: How about if we toss in a protected 1st round pick in 2014?
    Morey: Welll, I do need to make a deal just for the hell of making a deal. I'll take it.
    Wallace: Deal.

Then Wallace proceeds to just laugh at how he ripped off the master.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

As for the battier trade, their Gm said this has been in the works for a while, at least from their end. There's probably been on going talks for months now, but a like most deals, nothing really happens until one side, or both, feels more pressure at the deadline.

4. mazinger

mazinger Member

You know we can get Shane back this rummer right? If Daryl wanted to. The Grizz can't get Thabeet nor their 1st pick back! The Grizz got OWNED!!!

[​IMG]

5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Look I'm far from a Morey apologist, but I hope he hits on one these "bets" T-Will, Thabeet, & Dragic. At least he's trying to shake it up!

6. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Is the Lance Blanks from Phoenix the Lance Blanks that went to Texas? I lost touch with him years ago. He was my workout partner at Pritikin 25 years ago. Had no idea he was a GM now if it is the same Lance.

7. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Yup, went to UT-Austin- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Blanks

8. ausrocket

ausrocket Member

Most likely, the conversation went like this:

Morey: Hey Chris - you called?
    Wallace: Hey Daryl - look I'll cut to the chase since it's 2.50pm. Can you take Thabeet off my hands? I know he's has some bad press and all but he's a nice kid and has talents. You know...
    Morey: [Cutting in] Is he taller than 6'6 and does he put his hand up when someone shoots?
    Wallace: Ah....yeah...listen if you're keen I need some expiry contracts back. Also if you are still unsure about Thabeet I can send you some clips...
    Morey: You can have Shane Battier and i want a 1st round pick back..
    Wallace: Wow check out the time it's 2:58! Anyway, 1st round pick...lottery protected? Also I'll throw in Caroll for Ish Smith...
    Morey: Ya don't care about the scraps. Whatever man you've got a deal. Now I need to call (Danny) Ainge and (Ed) Stefanski back.
    Wallace: Hey thanks Daryl. You know you might be a bit late it's already past 3pm...
    Morey: Doesn't matter I'm calling them to prove that I can indeed find a deal for Shane for a 1st pick and they can take their *****ty little crap deal up their *****ty little a** %^&@(#*$&....

1 person likes this.
  9. Dei

Dei Member

[​IMG]

On the line, stealing your doods.

10. thejav

thejav Member

and were down to 2..i wonder who gets the last rose...:p

11. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

or something like this

phones rings in the background
    looks at phone

Incoming Call:
    D.Morey

Answer Decline

*Hits Decline

12. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Most of Clutchfans getting their wish right now.

13. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Woops thought I was in the game thread.