1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Dilemma: Kyle Lowry vs. Goran Dragic

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Apr 7, 2012.

?

If you had to pick one.. Who would you rather have as our long term point guard?

1. Kyle Lowry

58 vote(s)
    24.9%
  2. Goran Dragic

175 vote(s)
    75.1%
  1. conquistador#11

wtf? what superdivas are available that won't leave you at the altar?

this sexual fantasies with superstars has to stop. wake up! there are only five true franchise players available the only way to get your touchy hands on one would be through the draft. A draft that only produces superstars on an average of once every four years. And even then you'd have to be BOBCATS BAD! That takes a lot of trying.

KEeep both. Both lowry and the goran are closer to become stars. infact, if they wore yellow and purple they would be stars.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

I was going to start a thread about this, but why not keep Dragic as our SG?

All I've been hearing on the GARM is we trade Klow for a star player. Sure that might work, but why not keep both and start them at the same time? Dragic doesn't need to strictly be a catch and shoot player, do Wade and Kobe take majority of their shots on catch and shoots? In fact, if you look at the way Lee and Kmart have been playing, they basically penetrate and create their own shot rather than standing at the 3 and waiting for the open shot. There's no reason why Dragic can't do the same.

Plus, Dragic is more of a combo guard anyway, he can continue attacking the basket while Klow orchestrates the plays and provides spacing with 3s.

3. 5532derc

5532derc New Member

The difference is the flop

Kyle Lowry is a better point, in my opinion, but if starting a team I'd start with Dragic over Lowry. A Lowry flop, at times, is painful to watch.

4. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Last week I was saying that we should still keep lowry. I was wrong. Gogi is the clear choice

5. houstunnin

houstunnin Member

Gogi is more clutch then lowry to say...Gogi is confident when its crunch time.......but lowry is good unless he play SG keep both that be really fing GOOD...i was on K-Mart but hope he come back n do damage at least till trade deadline...at least. next year...but YUP...if he blows up then Cool...prove us wrong....Or Draft me =)

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Here is the question. Who is better at orchestrating the offense?

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

He said, "I prefer point guard position just to lead the team because I feel more comfortable in that position... but still if I have to play position 2 I can do that too."

It sounds like he will do it if that's the only way he can get on the court. But I guarantee you any other team trying to sign him will guarantee him the starting pg position. And if Houston wants a shot at getting him back they would be wise to do the same.

I think he'll take a lttle less money to stay in Houston but not if he is unsure of his role. He already knows Houston will trade him at the first opportunity to upgrade the team. Whatever blind loyalty he may have had went out the window then.

He knows he is an asset. But even then I suspect he likes this team a lot and wants to stay if the money is close and he gets to start at pg. Otherwise he will have to consider leaving.

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I agree that he likes the team a lot.

But at least from what he said and what the video shows. He has preference for the PG position but he has no objections if he played 2.

We can definitely run Lowry at 1 and Dragic at 2, they can split PG duties even if Dragic is guarding a 2.

Didn't McHale also say that one of our best line up consists of having both Dragic and Lowry on the court?

If that were the case, then we could easily get 30 minutes for both players.

9. houstunnin

houstunnin Member

10. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

Lets see what they do in the Playoffs. After that I can make a more educated decision.
    I have a feeling that's managements plan. But still they are going to have a hard decision financially.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Dragic is best with the ball in his hands. He's a drive-and-kick guy like Nash. If he played SG, it would need to mostly be him playing like a point guard while Lowry spots up on the corner and makes hustle plays off the ball. I don't think we have been better with Lowry and Dragic on the floor because when that happens the offense runs through Kyle.

I think the offense is better running through Goran.

12. tharges

tharges Member

Whats the dilema? They are both instrumental to the success of this team, you keep them both. Our team is full of rock stars, whether you believe it our not.

13. senter

senter Member

I'll tell you one thing.. I was at the game last night against the lakers and seeing dragic in person was just amazing. Lowry is great, and wonderful, and probably overall a better point guard, but I definitely think that Lowry would have dribbled the ball too much late game. That's how we lost a few leads earlier in the season. Lowry would just dribble the ball to run the shot clock down, and then take a terrible hero shot (missing most of the time). Dragic isn't afraid to attack. It's so much better to score and only take 5 seconds off the clock than take 20 seconds off the clock, brick badly, and lead to a fast break for the other team. I can't wait for Kyle to get back, but I still think that Dragic should be the floor general late game and maybe just let Lowry play the 2 or something. Dragic..man..he's something special!

14. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

I did not look at the numbers, but isnt Kyle more injury prone than Goran. That is a key factor we need to see when you consider our injury history

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

If you were I'm due for a big payday and unrestricted why would you resign here, knowing the GM treats players like assets?

16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

This whole asset thing is so blown out of proportion.

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Because you're probably not an idiot, in Goran's case, and realize the Houston approach is no different than any other place.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Actually I pointed the asset thing last year. If you knew your GM wouldn't blink twice shipping your ass out to some unknown team, you'd think twice before you wanted to sign. Free agency is the only time a role player has a choice of where he wants to go. But that choice wouldn't mean much if there were rumors EVERY YEAR that you might be traded.

That's why I think all the hoopla around the trade deadline is not good for the team.

19. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

This is not a difficult question to answer:

Dragic has officially broken out and come into his own and is a better PG than Lowry in almost every category.

1) Better natural shooter
    2) Keeps the dribble deep into the lane
    3) Longer/Taller physically
    4) Overall better defender with his size
    5) Better Clutch Shooter
    6) Better decision maker throughout the game and definitely in the clutch

Don't get me wrong - I love Kyle - I love his grit, toughness and competitive nature - But we have now seen enough of a body of work with Goran - that we all know we are seeing something VERY special emerge.

With Kyle's improvement in the beginning of the year - a lot of that was due to his improved 3 point shot - We all still knew that he had limitations with his size in defending bigger PG's - So he was never going to be a superstar PG - But at best a potential All star - With Goran's stature, tools and propensity to hit the clutch shot as well as demanding the ball in his hands when the games on the line - We are seeing a potential Superstar and I don't think I am overstating.

So - I would be happy with Kyle as a 6th man - to rotate in at both guard positions - letting Gogi - play SG at times - But we have a new starter folks - and maybe a franchise player.

If Kyle can't accept a new role - unload him for more assets and let's keep trying for the big fish . . .

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Come on, that's a hyperbole.

How many players do we have where each year we are looking to trade him?

Look at Pau Gasol. Their GM certainly didn't "blink twice" before trading him even though he brought two championships to the city. But doesn't seem to stop players from wanting to play on LA.

What about Miami Heat, there were tons of rumors that Bosh was going to be traded even though they have been together for only a year, but seems like a lot of players are still more than willing to play on that team.

Clippers is another good example. They have an openly racist owner who has said disgusting things to his own players. Remember how he was calling Baron Davis fat on the court and the teammates as well as the media was trashing Sterling for his behavior? That doesn't seem to stop players from wanting to go play in L.A

I'm sure there is some truth in what you say, I just don't think it's near as damaging as some are making it out to be. It's done around the league afterall.