1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I am excited for next year already

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, May 22, 2015.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I am not saying this series is over yet, not by a long shot.

But the Rockets are clearly at least one of the top 2-3 teams in the league at the end of a season where they didn't catch a lot of breaks (save for Josh Smith being magicallly available for free) and they are literally a hair's breadth away from being in an advantageous position vis-a-vis the best team in the league which, shoudl they go on to win the title, will be considered an all-time great due to their regular season dominance.

The Rockets, seemingly alone among the WC contenders, still have assets to get better, unlike the Clippers or even the Warriors who are probably going to have go into LT territory next year if they can't move Iguodala and Lee and htey want to keep their core.

Literally EVERYTHING came together for GS this year, injuries ravaging every other WC team, GS dealing with mostly minor injuries (unless you count David Lee, lol) an unexpected All-NBA caliber year from Draymond Green as a result of Lee's injury. Will that happen again? Maybe. But not as likely

Next year I really want the Rockets to go all-in. Not stupidly like "hey let's get Rondo, he sucks but you know PLAYOFF RONDO!" but Les should pay the tax and take his shot. I don't even know who, but we have to get a 40% 3 point volume shooter on the team, and another playmaker for when Harden sits (or just another good PG period). Other than that, the other boxes are really kind of checked (Backup C? Capela. Stretch 4? Motiejunas).

When you have an MVP level guy in his peak and a dominant HOF big man near the end of his peak, you have to use it becuase it closes fast. I think next year it oculd all come together the way it has for GS this year.

2 people like this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I know it's nice to say if they had Bev and DMo it'd be a different story, but we don't know how different. Maybe the matchup with the Clippers is worse. Plus they're not healthy. 2nd straight year Bev is out or not 100% for the playoffs.

I think there are obvious holes, even when healthy.
    - PG
    - PF
    - More efficient 3 point shooting

I too am excited for next year... because I think going all--in means DM addressing specific and obvious holes.

If that involves somehow getting an LMA or Love, great. Because PF is an obvious hole, still. If it involves some lesser player but who is an upgrade, that's fine too.

They don't need that "OBVIOUS" superstar, but they do need better talent around the 1 mega-star they have, plus Dwight.

3. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

I think Howard and Harden are a strong superstar duo. Like you said, we need to get some shooters. If someone like Kyle Korver or Danny Green is available it would be great.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm completely with you Sam.

I would target Mike Dunleavy, a point guard who can create AND be efficient, and then if I still had availability, I would seriously make a run at Taj Gibson.

Also would call the Hawks. If they are willing to move Korver I would give them almost any asset they wanted. First round pick, Terrence Jones, etc.

A volume shooting sniper from 3 would make this team lethal.

Also think you have to go into the tax. Keep Beverly, even he ends up as a bench player by the end of the year.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Agreed. What a difference a week makes.

Clearly we will see an upgrade at PG, whether it is Beverly coming back, Llull, both, or someone else. I lean toward the latter because we need a guy that can make plays and take pressure off of James.

I think T.Jones will be the odd man out in the frontcourt - Dwight/Capela and Josh/D-Mo is an intriguing frontcourt rotation.

6. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Let's sign Seth Curry and hope he's just as good as dad and bro :p

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

AMEN !!

I would also add that we will probably have veterans especially guards who can shoot calling us and begging to work for the veteran minimum with this title contender led by the real MVP.

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I certainly feel more optimistic than I did about 10 days ago when they were down 3-1 to the Clippers.

They have a really good core with Harden, Howard, and Ariza. Capela looks like a potential stud in a few years and at minimum should be a solid backup center next season which means no more Joey Dorsey. Smith and Brewer have their ups and downs, but they've been terrific off the bench on most nights. And D-Mo has developed into a reliable post player and very good outside shooter.

Going forward, they need to re-sign Smith and Brewer. Get D-Mo healthy. Add at least one solid 3-point shooter. And then address the PG position. I'm not opposed to bringing Bev back if it's for a reasonable price and as a backup. But they need a 2nd playmaker who can consistently knock down the endless open shots Harden gets them. Odds are T-Jones and that NOP pick will be required to get someone in here. I wouldn't mind re-signing Terry, but only if it's for a couple mil.

9. photojoe

photojoe Member

I am excited for next season as well. The Rockets are very, very, very good this year. But they have some weaknesses that I (think) we can address this offseason to be even better!

Both Corey Brewer and Josh Smith seem to like playing here. I think we should be able to get one or both of them back.

If we do get Josh Smith, and with D-Mo healthy, I would look at what we could get in a trade for Jones. I like having the versatility at PF between D-Mo's size and post moves and Smith/Jones athleticism. If I could just choose one between Jones or Smith, I would probably take Jones. However, if we lose Smith, we lose him for nothing. I would rather sign Smith (if we can get him for cheap) and then get another player in return for Jones. Hopefully an upgrade at PG?

I hope Beverley comes back and I hope we can sign him without going too much money for him. Then I hope that we can trade Jones (plus other pieces such as draft picks or Nick Johnson or whatever) for a starter caliber PG. This way we can bring Beverley off the bench and have him play less minutes. Energy-off-the-bench guy. I would love the idea of a Beverley/Brewer backcourt pairing off the bench. Super high energy, disrupt the other team's offense kind of bench.

Those simple moves would make our team like this:

(upgrade at PG)/Beverley
    Harden/Brewer
    Ariza/Brewer
    D-Mo/Smith
    Howard/Capela

They could obviously make more or less moves around that (try to get Danny Green? try to trade for LMA?) but that is just a couple of easy moves that, IMO, would make us a dangerous, dangerous team.

With all of that said, we are a dangerous team already! Let's get game 3 and game 4 at home and make ESPN and GSW fans sweat!

10. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I know I am beaking a self promise not to post until 2016 if we did get past the Clippers, but I couldn't wait any longer.:p

The glaring hole at the pg position was there even when Bev was seemingly healthy and was obviously made worse with his season ending injury.

For next year, Morey MUST upgrade the above weakness, even at the expense of one of our young PFs. I want a pg who can run a team when Harden sits or when he is off. Said pg/playmaker must also have the capability to relentless drive to the rim, putting enormous pressure on the opposing guards. The Warriors, the Clippers and the Thunder will be our obstacles for years to come, and I want their pgs to feel the pressure of defending. Right now, Curry is able to take a vacation on defense because we lack a starting caliber pg. That cannot continue.

Several names come to mind such as Lowry and Lawson. They ain't coming cheap, but I believe they could be had if proper value is given.

The future is bright, but as we all know the window of opportunities can close fast on you.

11. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Leslie has no choice, but to be willing to pay the big bucks to keep this team together depth, talent, and chemistry cost money in today's game.

Pay the Luxury tax Les.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

We're not getting Danny Green or LMA. The former will want at least 10 mil/yr and the latter will demand more than twice that. The Rockets won't have that kind of money this summer.

The realistic goals this offseason are to resign Smith and Brewer(and maybe Terry if he doesn't ask for too much). Hope D-Mo returns to full health by training camp. Get some muscle on Capela. Resign Bev if he doesn't cost too much(and will accept a backup role). And then use our remaining assets(namely T-Jones, the NOP pick, and future picks) to get a quality starting PG. We don't need an All-Star at that position. Just someone who can play D, create his own shot, and knock down open 3's.

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Agree its a shame I see a lot of people screaming Rockets need to upgrade at PG and PF this offseason - they are outmatched by all those teams!

Well their best PG and probably their best PF are both out right now - this team is far more loaded than people think.

Problem is that guys like Brewer and Josh Smith were additions that are more than likely gone next year - maybe Smith stays but I dont know about Brewer.

Assuming both Smith and Brewer are gone:

1) Need to have a strong outside shooter off the bench -- think Anthony Morrow type. I am not a huge fan of him but Marco Bellini is a free agent this summer (dont think he leaves SA)

2) Bring back some Rockets -- namely two of them - Chuck Hayes and Luis Scola. Chuck has just wasted away in sacramento and gained weight. When he played in Toronto last year he got back in shape and was effective. Rode the pine again this year and gained weight. Chuck was appreciated in Houston and played with a lot of heart. I think he would be big to learn from defensively and gives us a low post passer and just a hustle guy. Older but given that our "hustle/defender" right now is Dorsey amongst the bigs.
    Scola still has plenty left - he was never athletic but imagine how much he can teach DMo and all. He can help stretch the floor a big too and you know when he is on the floor all he does is hustle.

3) Get Capela in the weight room, get Capela with Dream - get Capela everything he needs to develop more this summer. Defensively Capela has all the instincts and athleticism. Offensively I dont think I've seen him do anything except dunk, layup or free throw. Not a jump hook or anything. He needs to be some sort of offensive threat out there. Even guys like Samuel Dalembert could post up and score now and then. Guy looks hungry enough.

4) Like Capela - get Nick Johnson in the gym every day shooting jumpers. Guy reminds me of a smaller but quicker/athletic lowry in that he is hard nosed, can drive (not as strong as Lowry) but will mix it up with the big man underneath. Like Lowry though he is a bad shooter - but hopefully like Lowry he can improve his shot to be above average. He is going to need to spend time in the gym for that. Right now I feel he isnt getting time on the court because of his inability to hit a free throw or jumpshot.

5) Do the same for KJ McDaniels - if he stays on this team then he too needs to learn on a jumper. I would spend a lot of time trying to instill a 'team' mentality in him. Hopefully he has learned some of that spending time on the bench because the time he has played he as looked just for his own shot. Defensively the guy has it just needs to a bit more disciplined.

6) Re: the draft pick - either draft another playmaking guard (I would say someone that is like more NBA ready maybe less of a 'star' ceiling) or an elite level shooter (if one isnt available via free agency/trade) Harden needs more rest during the season and needs to be able to have someone else out there. I rather have a more ready rookie (junior/senior) that has a lower star ceiling because so he is comfortable with the bench role and all but still will be good in that role.

so I would envision our lineup next year to be:

Pat Bev/Johnson/Terry (I imagine he resigns for vet min one more year)
    Harden/1st round pick
    Ariza/KJ (resigned)/3 pt shooter
    DMo/Jones/Scola
    Dwight/Capela/Hayes/"Dorsey"

With Scola and Hayes (hopefully at vet min signings) I can imagine that Jones, Dorsey and the Nop Pick to be available in a package to possibly upgrade somewhere else. Or trade to get a guy like Redick/Morrow. Actually considering the clippers woes in terms of finance I would propose them a Jones + Kostas + NY 2nd pick for Redick - should work under the cap and the Clippers can not pick up Kostas' 2nd year to shed $ right away. They can add some good big man depth behind Blake in Jones and hopefully draft a replacement for Redick for the NY pick

14. Rockston

Rockston Member

Dwight/Capela
    D-Mo/Smoove
    Trev/Brew
    Harden/hopefully a sniper
    Bev/Draft

15. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Aldridge, anyone?

16. FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard Member

^ Agreed, Lawson will be a huge upgrade to this team. He'll relieve more ball handling off of James (letting him put more effort on defense), and is around the same career stage as Howard. With that said, don't give too much to trade for him, a mid first and late first should be sufficient.

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Two more losses before we run out of time to "get it all together" this year. Who knows what will happen next year. Sometimes these opportunities never come again; just ask the Thunder, who were so optimistic after their run to the finals.

You just never know if you'll get that close ever again. Let's go all-in now. I defy anyone to tell me that Golden State is the better team after watching Games 1 and 2, in San Fran with what ridiculous home court advantage they have there. Houston is better in the interior, and it has the better all around MVP.

Curry can call Harden's play "unsustainable", but so can we call the shooting of his team. Jump shooting teams will still lose to teams that dominate the paint. Let's go fix that and get a whole bunch of these next few games. Clutch City baby.

18. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I know you're not saying otherwise, but I'm still excited for this year. Take these two by a decent margin and the pressure is on these cheatin' dudes, and we've shown we can hang with them on their floor.

I, too, am excited at what the team has shown us this season, and particularly this post season. Wtih a healthy Bev and Dmo, I'm not sure we're missing much, but I would say maybe a point guard who can keep Harden from doing too much, hit the three at a good rate, and defend well would be what I'd say we need if anything, and I'm not sure we don't already have that if he's healthy.

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

This.

Every year is a new year. While players can definitely build on their experience and get better, I don't think it applies to the entire team.

You lose players, you gain new ones...the ones that did good this year might suck it up next year. What about injuries?

The shots that went in might not be falling next year during certain games.

Take each season for what it is, and let's hope for that best next year.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

PF should be the least of our concerns. We have two under 25 promising PFs. I believe if Dmo was healthy during the playoffs he would be giving this team at least 15 points on above 50% shooting.

Our most glaring hole is pg and that hole should be the ONLY concern until it is resolved.