1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you consider a successful season for the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blahblehblah, Apr 16, 2015.

?

What do you consider a succesful outcome for Rockets

Poll closed Apr 30, 2015.
  1. Making it to first round is already success.

2.1%
  2. Advancing to second round

29.5%
  3. Advancing to conference finals

45.6%
  4. Advancing to NBA finals

5.4%
  5. Winning NBA championship

17.4%
  1. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Les Alexander has stated that Mchale & the Rockets don't need to advance past the first round this season to be considered not a failure.

And while the Mchale & the Rockets have overwhelmingly overcome all expectations this season, including offseason losses & massive injuries, I cant agree Mr Alexander.

With Harden playing at MVP level, DHoward back and playing better than he has all year despite minute restrictions, Ariza finally shooting well and Tjones/JSmith/Brewer all contributing, I expect the Rockets to at the very least to advance past the first round.

IMO, the Rockets losing in 6 or 7 hard fought, close games in the SECOND round is the threshold for a successful season.

Obviously losing to the dysfunctional Mavs would be a monumental failure.

2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

2nd Round seems nice but not selling us short, I'd say WCF

3. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Second round only because the franchise hasn't advanced to it more than once in 17 seasons. Just judging the team, I would say the WCF.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

It's such low expectations but they gotta make it to the 2nd round. GOT TO!

You wanted the Mavs, you got the Mavs, now go out there and beat 'em!

Another first round exit, well, just more of the same [of the previous 17 years].

5. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Championship or bust

6. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Considering this team has arguably 2 top 10 players when healthy, u'd think it would be championship or bust. Problem is we've had so many injuries I'm not sure those expectations are realistic.

7. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Successful doesn't mean not a failure.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

A trip to the WCF would be a true accomplishment. A trip to the 2nd round would be great, but nothing to write home about.

9. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

This team is technically the 2nd seed in the entire western conference, and should have expectations like it. WCF should be the standard. Getting to the second round warrants a pat on the back, but nothing more.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Anything after the 1st Round is icing on the cake. Look, some on here might think that's too low of a baseline in terms of success but this team was/is pretty much a patchwork job that had a very low outlook going into the season.

1. We didn't get Melo
    2. We didn't get Bosh
    3. We didn't get Lowry
    4. We didn't bring back Parsons
    5. We didn't trade for Rondo
    6. We didn't trade for Dragic

Hell, we had penciled in Tarik Black, Robert Covington, Francisco Garcia, etc as major rotation players before the season started!!! Then Jones went down, Howard went down, Bev went down, DMo went down, Bev went down again......And look at this team right now--2nd seed, Division champs in a bloodbath of a division, and in a position to possibly get out of the 1st round.

This team succeeded despite its obstacles already--it just needs to beat Dallas to punctuate the statement.

11. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

My thoughts have changed throughout the year, from earliest to latest:

1. 2nd Round
    2. HCA in 2nd round
    3. WCF

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

Getting past the first round is an ABSOLUTE MUST. Losing to the Mavs would be a horrendous failure. The season would then be meaningless. It would be more disappointing than last year. No pressure!

13. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Considering gsw is the only team the rockets match up terribly against, I think wcf is realistic and a successful season.

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

first round exit - i think i would be devastated with a first round exit... i would start to seriously give thought to DM's system and if we need a real coach more than a GM who makes the coach do what he wants.

second round - i would be neutral with a second round exit. i'd accept it and be happy with the season, but wish/knew they could've done more if 100% healthy.

WCF - i would be outright thrilled with WCF, even if we get swept i'd just be elated to see them there.

finals - i can't even imagine this. i would consider this so successful that i'd give DM and mchale a pass for the next 2-3 years.

champions - what is this?

1 person likes this.
  15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

WCF

GS could have a cakewalk like the Lakers that one year who swept everyone until they beat the Iverson Sixers in the Finals. They are that good.

I can see the Rockets getting to the WCF but I can't seem them beating GS in a 7 game series. Which sucks because Houston would stomp any East team for the championship.

16. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

If you ain't first, you're last. You can't consider anything but a championship success.

1 person likes this.
  17. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

For a second seed, usually anything less than a Conference Final is a disappointment considering you have home court until at least the conference finals. The Rox have had so many disappointments over recent years that a lot of the fan base is probably keeping expectation low and hoping for the best. That's what I'm doing anyway. But it would be very disappointing if they don't at least get out of the first round this year.

18. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Goal was the championship so anything less wouldn't be a success.

Division Championship and likely MVP is a great start though

19. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Beat the Mavs and don't get swept by the Spurs, and I'll sleep at night given the injury situation.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Regular season was a success in itself

Now Postseason success: WC Finals or Finals: Total success

Second round... Conference semis: Small success