1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

changing careers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Chamillionaire, Nov 1, 2009.

Tags:
?

changing careers?

1. now is the time

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. wait til the recession recovers

19 vote(s)
    44.2%
  3. continue working a job you don't want to do

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  1. Chamillionaire

with the economy the way it is, and the way the companies aren't hiring, rather restructuring, is it a good time to change careers? i'm in education now but would like to venture out to recruiting or finance. i have a marketing degree.

2. wekko368

wekko368 Member

How are you qualified to go into finance? Do you plan on going back to school? Pursue any certifications?

3. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Need a little more info to accurately assess your situation.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I say wait out for the recession to be completely over. You can't risk your stable income atm. (Of course, if you aren't making a stable income... then feel free to switch!)

5. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

If you are having trouble getting a decent job (like I was) then now is a good time to go back to school and get more education/qualifications (like I am).

6. Chamillionaire

never thought of it like that, now really is a good time to go back to school and maybe get my masters or MBA, the situation is i've been teaching for 5 years and i want to quit ASAP, don't ask me how i got into the job, it just kinda fell into my lap. i wasn't planning on teaching, just happened. now i need to get back into business.

no, not qualified for finance. no certifications.

thanks for everyone's opinions.

7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

You may want to look into pursuing a CFA (chartered financial analyst). I don't think you need a finance degree for it.

8. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I think you are best qualified for a career in signature theft.

:p

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Not to D&D this thread, but it would be a lot easier for people to switch jobs and find their true and happy productive niche if we had universal health care.

If you have good health care now and won't when you switch, I would absolutely wait until we see what happens with health care in Congress and what the implementation of health care reform means.

(I don't care how young and in shape you are, choosing to go without health insurance is a fool's gamble.)

10. University Blue

What / where do you teach? What is it about teaching you do not like?

11. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

I thought you were a rapper?

12. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

But ever since he was done dirty by MJ, he has had to re-evaluate things.

13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

i guess the point you are making is that people make their career decisions based on the health care plan that their employer provides?

they can't leave their jobs because they need insurance for their family and they work through an unhappy career.

either way, alot of people are doing the reverse of the OP. trying to shift gears and become teachers is a popular move right now.

14. Chamillionaire

the fact is, i hate my job. it's ****ing miserable. is it worth it just to quit and move on? especially at a time like now? should i wait it out or take the risk of being unemployed for awhile?

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's only worth it if you have something else lined up. Otherwise, you're taking a big gamble on a whim.

16. Chamillionaire

that's what i'm afraid of, i guess i'll look for a job first, then quit. i'm quitting for sure, just a matter of time.

17. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

I hear McDonalds is doing okay :D

18. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I was able to make a very lucrative career shift in September, but I certainly did not leave my previous job until I found the one I shifted to.

I started looking in May, and was able to make the move in September. It never hurts to start looking for something else. I just wouldn't give up your current job until you find something else.