1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The difference between the Warriors and Rockets is playmaking ability

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smoothie, May 24, 2015.

1. Major

Major Member

And when Harden doesn't have the ball, HE stands around and watches. That's just how the offense is designed. It's very much a read-the-defense-and-react type system. The reason why people love watching the Spurs and Warriors is that they play a "fun" brand of basketball - which is all about people moving around, getting open, etc instead of the isolation system. While you need the right personnel to run it well, it's also a coaching philosophy that the Rockets simply have chosen not to do it.

That said, both systems can work. Lots of great players have won championships with non-motion offenses. Lebron, Jordan, Shaq, Olajuwon, etc all had offenses built around an isolation type system to a large extent.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

FIFY.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Meh. Harden becomes a liability when he's shot is off. Jordan and Lebron do other things when their shot is off.

Simce when did people consider the Spurs fun to watch?

4. Major

Major Member

Certainly true - I'm not Harden is at that level. Just that there's not only one way to run an offense.

Everyone loved watching the Spurs play last year. The beauty of their motion offense was all that anyone talked about during the playoffs.

5. DreamRun95

DreamRun95 Member

I know it may seem antiquated but has anyone noticed how well our personnel actually fit the Triangle System. Looking across the league we are surprisingly or not so surprisingly the only team that might pull this off. We may not have the coaching team to do this though.
    Everyone knows that it was implemented to help relieve pressure off Jordan during the middle of games so he could be fresh enough in the final minutes to go to the next gear. I don't see how that is any different to the situation with Harden. If we win or lose by Harden lets at least put a system in place to conserve his energy to give him the best shot at the end of the game while also allowing our role players more of an impact on the game.
    Problems I see is that it is a rather sophisticated offense and requires a difficult period of implementation as you require reasonable level of intelligence from your ball players not to mention its been scouted endlessly.

Still though the pieces are there.
    - A ball dominant SG Harden . Kobe, Jordan
    - Off ball defensive PG Beverley . Fisher, Harper
    - Big C Howard. Shaq, Gasol
    - Shooters . Made most 3s this season as a team. Kerr. Horry

6. ibm

ibm Member

it's not the technical side of the ball. it really is more of the other side. stuff like effort, moving w/o the ball, running back on transition defense (remember game 2 the last play? yeah, give them some credit), etc.

mchale is an old school coach. when he was on the court as a player, maybe the concept of "playing hard and disciplined" was a given. maybe back then he and his teammates like larry bird brought intensity every night. maybe they always took effort as a given. so when he became a coach, he never thought of his troops needed to have inspiration. that concept might've been foreign to him.

7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Turk is beyond washed up while Scola has nothing left. I'd rather they try to trade for West.

8. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

is system.

They have a Spurs type system

Vs

We have none, Nada. Just pure streetball.

9. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Excellent observation.

We have tried various play making PGs with Harden and it just didn't work out because he needs the ball to be effective. Adding Lowry or Dragic won't help because they are also ball dependent.

Someone like Bev (but who can shoot really well and at least handle the ball better) would be the best compliment to Harden.

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Good post - this is pretty much my response to the OP. I'll just add that although Klay has the reputation of a scorer offensively, he's actually not very good creating with the ball in his hands in an iso or off the PnR. He makes moves within the flow of the offense in the context of a set play with his options more or less scripted for him. I think it was Zach Lowe who pointed out that's one of the changes Kerr put in place after reviewing tape of Klay struggling in that role during the Mark Jackson era.

11. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I've been telling one of my friends most of the year that this Houston team was very close to being a clone of that Lakers team with Bynum(Dwight), Gasol(?would have been Bosh - I guess Dmo now), Ariza (Ariza),Kobe (Harden), an average PG in Fisher(ummm I guess Beverly), and Josh Smith playing the role of the complete wildcard Lamar Odom.

12. ibm

ibm Member

only harden is not at kobe's level, mentally or otherwise.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

bumping a relevant thread. the warriors still have a lot more playmakers than we do and that could end up being the difference again.

8 out of 9 guys they played tonight can create their own shot, or create a shot for someone else. steph, klay, iggy, kd, dray, west, livingston, and young are all playmakers. that's what makes it easy for them to have more movement and passing in their offense. more guys who can pass = more passing! the rockets have cp3, harden, ego, green, and maybe nene who can create for themselves or others.

less playmakers means more ball dominant offense. trying to play like the warriors would be asking ariza and tucker to make plays off the dribble and pass which they can't really do. we play to our strengths with this iso stuff. maybe it'll work. it worked for the cavs two years ago. but if we lose, the difference in number of playmakers on the roster will have to be addressed.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think it is role players

Rocket River

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We still could use playmakers and our role players are not finishers (consistent).

They could score 20pts one night, and score 0 pts on another.

smoothie likes this.
  16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

They have moar sneks.

daywalker02 and smoothie like this.
  17. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

LeBron is a playmaker.

payaso and smoothie like this.
  18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Didn't read OP beyond the title , but YES.

Gordon HAS to step up . He made the wrong plays tonight / didn't play with confidence or aggression .

The exception being in the 4th ... where he was fantastic

smoothie likes this.