1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

The biggest issues being exposed in the current series is lack of personnel...BUT...McHale is a weakness of this team as well. We keep talking about this team "quitting" and not having enough effort throughout this season and in these playoffs. That's a result of lack of leadership. This team needs a stronger leader. The two best players on the team, Harden and Howard, have grown a little in their leadership but this team just needs better direction from the coach as well. This team is too dumb to have a players' coach. This team again needs a stronger leader/coach.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No one should ever say or think he is a great coach, he is not.

DD

3. chandlerbang21

The teams offensive philosophy is a product of the McHale and Morey.

4. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Jeff Van Gundy and several other media guys seems to believe he's a great coach. And more importantly Les Alexandra and Daryl Morey seems to think the exact same thing. Shoots gave the man a nice healthy extension.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Still not good enough, never was.

Clutch said in the podcast: This series illustrates how good of a team Curry has. These two are great players, similar players and how hard Harden has to work compared to Curry.

Sure, definitely, Curry has better teammates. He also has better coaching, making things easier for him.

Then they were talking about Draymond Green and how inserting him into the lineup changed the team completely. Green is good and you're right, some coaches probably stick with Lee but back to coaching, Ron Adams, defensive assistant. Credit Bogut, credit Green, don't forget to credit Ron Adams.

Assistant Ron Adams draws up special defense for James Harden

Houston lost Sampson; tried to hire Hollins; hired T.R. Dunn right before training camp; turned the defense over to Bickerstaff.

I go back to what Simmons & Russillo said the day of or day after Scott Brooks was fired.

Simmons: I never thought they had an offense. Great guy, players respected him, brought family atmosphere type stuff.

Russillo: I always felt like he never made it easier on his stars when they needed someone "Hey, can you help us get a good look here?". They were always good enough to win 55 games because those two guys are absolute studs but when it came to, "Hey, find a way to make our lives easier" other star coaches do that and I never felt they did that in OKC.

Houston has their Scott Brooks.
    Houston has their Vinny Del Negro(LAC).

#11905 J.R., May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015
  6. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

when you have to rely on Terry to give the pep talks and the tough talk to get Howard to buy in to adjusting to Harden ...

I don't know, I'll look for a stronger leader and a better X's and O's coach because the assistants are not enough

7. Zergling

Zergling Member

McHale was middle of the pack in ESPN's coaching ranking. Obviously JVG is going to say he's a good coach. No other coach will talk bad about another member of their fraternity.

Morey is towing company line. Alexander made the decision to give him the extension and it's unknown if Morey supported it or not internally.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

On the one hand, I feel like we definitely could have used some X's and O's experience in the playoffs. On the other hand, McHale has surprised us every year he's been here. If we're going to be better next season - and we have been every year since McHale - then we're talking about a shot at the NBA title.

I think we can do with an assistant to help on offense, have some plays ready for the playoffs. I think the defense could've been better but I trust they'll get it right next season - it was a completely new idea they rolled out and it had its kinks but that can be figured out. An MLE signing, a draft pick, D-Mo and Bev return. Capela and Jones will be better than they were. I think we should give McHale one more year, and if it doesn't work out then we find someone in 2016 when we have some money to throw around as well.

If we could just retain everyone, get a decent PG through FA signing and nab a good player with one of our picks. We're set. No need to mess with anything.

1 person likes this.
  9. RESINator

RESINator Member

Just hope that people realize that making wcfs was a result of james harden and not McFail

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

The same James Harden who was on the bench in the fourth quarter of game 6 elimination game in LA?

We don't normally win without James playing well but that statement is a total stretch

11. nono

nono Member

He should have been fired two years ago. This is just too much. Stupidity from Les. I'm glad I don't watch basketball anymore and spared myself from this misery.

12. seeingred

seeingred Member

That 4th quarter come back really got me thinking. It's like the Hawks game we played with Harden suspended. The team moved the ball so well. i remember thinking, "this is not how they play when Harden is in the game." Harden definitely can bog down an offense with ISO, especially if the game is close. He's great at it, so it's usually a fair trade off.

There are times on offense when the players have no idea what the others are doing. They literally throw up their hands asking the guy with the ball what to do. I hope it's a chemistry problem. If we can keep this core together another year, maybe it will iron itself out. Maybe McHale or an assistant can install some go-to plays that we can run when the pressure is on. That's the Kool Aid i'm drinking anyway.

13. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Did you happen to catch game 6 Clippers series, 4th quarter?

How many minutes did Hrden play?

How many points?

How many assists?

How many points did the team outscore the heavily favored Clippers by?

Do you ever deal in facts?

14. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

Well this thread should be resurfaced for the remainder of the Off Season... He wasn't the reason we lost tonight, but we sure could have used any semblance of a gameplan or defense the first 3 games...

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Let the circle j#%* begin!

1 person likes this.
  16. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

While I've never really been on the "fire McHale" bandwagon, I was opposed to the McHale hiring when it happened, and have long thought the team would do much better with a different coach.

That said, after this season, McHale has made me a believer. The "Fire McHale" bandwagon should be burned. All the injuries this team overcame and what they were able to do was remarkable. McHale gets a lot of credit for that.

Not only should this thread stop being bumped, it should be burned.

17. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

Its obvious hes not a top15 nba coach, probably not even top 25 when it comes to Xs and Os....get him some more hellp on the bench hes still vaaluable to this team. JB disappointed this series we made no adjustments to what they were doing on offense, and when we do make adjustments its always 4 or 5 games in, you should not be doing anything else in the playoffs except wwatch film and correct mistakes.
    Team lacks alot of discipline and we have no offensive sets, you HAVE to make things eaasier for your best player yet we never do and just depend on iso even in the playoffs....thats really a disgrace to the coaching staff

Mchale is a good leader but thats all he is get two coaches hwo know wtf they r doing out there

18. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I feel the same way. This thread should be locked.

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Yet you guys are the one's bumping it the most.

20. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Yet we have seen more games in which Harden had to rush back in because the line-up without him was giving up the lead.

I think the latter occurred more often.