1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chicago Tribune: Mutombo talks with Houston cool, was Chandler involved?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hpscc, Aug 30, 2004.

1. hpscc

hpscc Member

Mutombo update

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...llskc,1,5328220.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

As for Chandler, his name came up in trade talks with Houston that were centered on Dikembe Mutombo. Those appear to have cooled for now. But Chandler's work ethic this summer has impressed management, so he appears to be safe.
    Mutombo's agent, David Falk, has made it clear he doesn't want his client playing for the Bulls. But Paxson won't give the center away, and Houston keeps trying to include unwanted salary-cap filler in trade talks for shooting guard Eric Piatkowski.

Mutombo, typically a stoic professional, has a history of being prickly when he's playing somewhere he doesn't want to. Mindful of this, Bulls management has kicked around the idea of visiting Mutombo as a staff in sort of a recruiting trip.

The staff would try to sell the philosophy of hard work and professionalism that Paxson and coach Scott Skiles say they are trying to create.

2. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Thanks for the update...CD will get it done.

3. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

What? Are you telling me that we had a chance at Motumbo AND Chandler. Damn. That would have been awesome. Stupid Chandler with his work ethic. Couldn't he have waited a couple of months.

Edit: Whoa, I cracked 1,000 posts and didn't even know it.

Bow down before me. "Look upon my works, ye junior Members, and despair."

#3 m_cable, Aug 30, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  4. Sane

Sane Member

How amazing would it be to get Chandler?

One of the best rebounders in the league, excelent shotblocker, 7'1 at least.

He'd do exactly what Cato did last season, less strength, more length and athleticism, more potential to improve.

They wouldn't give him up though. He's working out hard, strengthening his back and bulking up as well.

I think Chicago will make the playoffs this year. They're young, but Chandler and Curry are finally committed, Hinrich is terriffic, and I think Gordon will be the ROY. Nocioni is great for them as well, he just won the olympics, and apparently he's a cross between Harpring and Artest.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A. Griffin might be an unwanted salary cap filler but doesn't he have a expiring contract?
    It's interesting to hear the Rockets might have talked about getting Chandler? I seriously doubt that Chicago would be interested in Mo-T but J.Howard might be a possibility.
    I for one would not trade Howard for Chandler.We need his experience.

6. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Who would they want from us that'd be worth Chandler and Mutombo? I guess no one. But man, that would've been the best offseason in league history.

7. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

If we're going to get Chandler, Howard is sure to be on the way out. Deke and Tyson will be great but we must stop having false hopes. But it makes me wonder why the Deke-Pike deal is still not made? Lets wait and see what would happen this 1st week of September...

8. micah1j

micah1j Member

Do this answer your question? But nice find.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I dont think we have anything we can offer Chicago that we are willing to part with to get Chandler. I dont think the Bulls will just pawn him off with a bad contract just to get rid of him.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I dont think we have anything we can offer Chicago that we are willing to part with to get Chandler. I dont think the Bulls will just pawn him off with a bad contract just to get rid of him.

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Why does this sound like a Homer Simpson quote? :D

12. randerson153

randerson153 Contributing Member

I was thinking the same thing.:)

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It will be interesting to see what stroke Falk still retains to engineer a deal for Mutombo -- including an expanded one with non-Falk clients.

IMO - a deal with Chicago goes down either before holiday week-end, or not at all.

14. New Jack

New Jack Member

The wording of this sentence kind of makes it sound like Mutombo was the centerpiece of the trade and Chandler was just a throw in. Perhaps Chandler’s trade value is not as high as most think. I hope the Rockets don’t give up on trying getting him. He would be an absolutely perfect 4 next to Yao. I'd be willing to give up anything outside of Yao and Mcgrady.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Giving and getting. ERob is part of any expanded Bulls deal. Maybe AD, as well? Scottie? Wouldn't that be poetic injustice that he'd retire as a Rock!

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I think it's safe to say the Rockets either tried to get Maurice Taylor or Juwan Howard involved, if this article is accurate. It's very smart thinking of the Rockets to try and acquire the likes of Chandler while moving Taylor-or-Howard. While I like Howard better, they are similar players... Chandler does many more of the blue-collar things, like blocked shots and rebounds. Unloading Taylor somehow and coming away with Chandler would be a steal. We would have to be taking on additional cap-weight in any exchange like that.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It's not my money, so I'd take on all the cap fodder necessary to land Mutombo AND CHANDLER. Or just Chandler. I think he'll be a premier offensive rebounder in the league.

Why not add Hinrich, too. Let's go for experience and da Bulls young studlies.

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I almost fell out of my chair when I read this. While I don't think anything will happen involving Chandler, I still have a hard time even swallowing why the Bulls are seemingly willing to part with him. The guy is freakin 21 years old, has got tons of talent, long arms, can rebound....all the tools to become a star in this league. So if the Bulls are not willing to sit around and wait for this guy to develop---i'm sure the Rockets would!

It should be interesting to see what happens....

19. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

The trade I see is:

Tyson Chandler & Eddie Robinson

FOR

Juwan Howard & Eric Piatkowski

Real GM says that it would have to wait until September 1st (because Juwan was recently traded), which would explain why the Rocks haven't moved since the T-Mac deal.

For the Rockets:
    Get a young. developing big man who can defend at all 3 front-court positions and who solves our rebounding problems. If he just happens to add a post game or a jump shot, Rocks are locks for many championships.
    Getting rid of Pike doesn't hurt that much, since he wasn't getting much PT anyway.
    Getting rid of Howard doesn't hurt that much because he and Mo are similar players - Chandler is better a compliment for Mo and Yao.

For the Bulls:
    Eddie Curry has separated himself from Chandler. Also the Bulls are tired of waiting for both of them to develop and are interested in acquiring veterans with high character, like Juwan and Pike. Their current front-court of Deng, Chandler, and Curry is too young to go to war with.
    Robinson's contract is the one the Bulls want to dump most.
    Juwan is a Chicago native.

End the end, Chandler needs a change of scenery - I think he's topped out with the Bulls and their @$$-backwards management.

20. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

2nd overall pick on Tyson Chandler
    4th overall pick on Dikembe Mutombo

1st overall pick on Yao Ming
    4th overall pick on Jimmy Jackson
    5st overall pick on Juwan Howard
    9th overall pick on Tracy Mcgrady
    9th overall pick on Carence Weatherspoon
    14th overall pick on Maurice Taylor
    15th overall pick on Bostjan Nachbar
    15th overall pick on Reece Gaines