1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.com] For Rockets DMo What happens in Vegas shouldnt stay in Vegas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sugrlndkid, Jul 21, 2014.

1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/07/20/for-rockets-and-motiejunas-what-happens-in-vegas-should-not-stay-in-vegas/

1 person likes this.
  2. bongman

bongman Member

It's probably mental. With regards to his offense, he really does well if he doesn't rush. On summer league, he knows he won't lose PT and plays on his normal comfort zone. But on regular season games, he probably has some anx and tries to do too much.

Defensively, he hustles which is more than what you can ask for. He probably tries too much to get the rebound himself and forgets about blocking out so one of his teammates can go grab it.

Hope he is a better, stronger Dmo come regular season.

1 person likes this.
  3. arjun

arjun Member

he definitely took a step forward last year, i hope he takes a leap this year esp if we are dangling tjones'

4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

McHale has to play the guy. It's just that simple. If he makes some mistakes, or has a bad game...Yeah, That sucks...But don't sit him on the bench for eternity because of it.

He really should have been playing consistently and he'd likely be further a long by now.
    Opportunities have been there to use him, but dumb ass Mchale is just a fail head coach.

1 person likes this.
  5. conquistador#11

you basically ask the guy to stand at the corner and bomb away never taking advantage of his true skill. white hakeem!

and defensively, he is going to get bounced around and get ticky tack fouls on him but probably the only rocket that knows what to do on a PnR.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Really hope for Dmo's sake he takes that next step...This team needs solid bench contribution. For him, its really now or never. And if he shows he can be trusted, Mchale might just give him an opportunity to start. As last year's playoffs and the Rockets offseason pursuits have shown, TJones' spot isnt entrenched...

7. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

It's his defense and rebounding that kept him off the floor. Jones is athletic enough to help weak side on defense and rebounds almost decently. However, Jones' lack of awareness at times is the reason DMo is still in the conversation

8. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

He's been one of my favorite prospects that I've ever seen...not that I am one hundred percent convinced he'll be a very good nba players...but thinking about what could be...if he puts it all together. I'm really unsure of what the final product will be even today, but I'm still hopeful he can be a fringe all star...such a good passer...just hoping he can improve his post defense to an acceptable level, because if he can, I think everything else will come and he'll be a good role player worst case.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He took a step forward, and then regressed at the end of the season. That was a blow to the team. Nevertheless, his second year was better than his rookie year. D-Mo has a mid range shot, which he was to display on rare occasions when Lin ran plays with him. The Rockets have to stop this statistical allergy, and let the players utilize their strengths instead of the 3 and D mantra.
    McHale has to get out the best from D-Mo. D-Mo has to improve his shooting, and free throws by letting the game come to him. Defense, rebounding and keeping out of foul trouble will be key.

I hope Dorsey and Adrein will be able to guide D-Mo and T-Jones on the defensive end and on the boards.

It's a tall order, I hope he can do a better job this year, and show greater consistency. Ditto for T-Jones.

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

In addition to DMo improving, I sure as hell hope our guards have finally learned how to throw an effin entry pass!

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm not familiar with Mr. Lang, the author, but I loved reading the quotes from Donuts and from Fitch. Thanks! Assuming we keep Donatas (I hope we do, unless we absolutely have to deal him to make the Rockets a better overall team), he has a chance this season to finally break into the rotation in a big way. Asik is gone. Who's the competition? Jeff Adrien, a journeyman, so far, in his career? Clint Capela, who's never played a minute in the NBA? Terrence Jones, a 4 with no business being our first option off the bench at the 5 when Dwight sits, in my opinion? Josh Powell, for crying out loud? Big men almost always need time to develop. Sometimes a lot of time. They can't all be an Hakeem Olajuwon. In fact, there will never be another Hakeem, but I digress.

This is addressed directly to you, Donatas, as I don't doubt that you check in on the BBS from time to time. It's something, in my humble opinion, that some Rockets players do when they feel like beating themselves up. Self-flagellation, as it were, when uncertainty surrounds them and they're feeling weak and need a good kick, figuratively speaking, upside their own head to lift themselves up. Absent a move that has yet to occur, and may not occur before the deadline at mid-season, if then, who's standing in front of you? Donatas Motiejunas, that's who. Play to your potential, and the spot is yours for the taking, Donatas. Play to your potential and I'll send you a dozen boxes of donuts from my favorite bakery in Southwest Austin, better than the Krispy Kreme donuts so famous around here in the Hill Country. KC Donuts. Fresh, there are none better, since my mother isn't around making her own (and very missed by me). Be an impact player this season for the Rocks and just send me an address through the board. A dozen dozen of the finest will be headed your way. Hell, I'll deliver them myself.

Show the league what you can do, Donuts! :)-

#11 Deckard, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

the cool thing about DMo is that I can see him getting better every single year until he is like 33. he just has a lot of things you can't teach (passing/vision, post moves...height..)

13. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

DMO is going to get more play time this season?

[​IMG]

Jokes aside. I do see him taking up some PT after the hole Asik left behind, but he's not strong enough to be a C. Best place is still for him to play PF after TJones.

14. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Is the starting power forward spot for the Rockets locked down and decided before training camp even begins? Not likely.

Jones is a good player, but it is hard to see him ever becoming a great player. Motiejunas has the potential to become a great player, maybe even an all star. Jones is serviceable, but he is not ever going to be that good.

Everyone should keep an eye on the power forward position during training camp, as this is the one starting position on the team that is open to competition and most likely to change over the course of the preseason.

Free D-MO! Let him play!

15. YaoforPrez

YaoforPrez Member

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/07/20/all-summer-league-teams/index.html

Congrats DMO on making the all-nba summer league team!

His rebounding looked improved but he still fouled incessantly the couple games I watched.

I like the guy and will be pulling for him, but I honestly don't think he will ever be an NBA starting PF, especially in the West.

He griped about PT last season which I thought was pretty lame. However, this season its time to back up his talk and actually contribute. The rox have a team option for him next season so this season he has to prove himself at least useful enough to keep around another year.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Of all the internationals and second round hope and dream types that have come through, DMo is the most interesting in the sense that he wasn't clearly definitively a rotation player, ala Parsons, Brooks, landry, etc.... but at the same time, he's definitely not in the camp of stop dreaming, these guys will never pan out.

He's in that middle ground, where you really think if this guy turns into a 20-25 mpg type guy giving you solid production off the bench you wouldn't be surprised at all... and conversely if he is back in Europe next year you wouldn't be surprised at all.

Who knows.

17. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

He's getting there. He was outstanding in a couple of our games last year--defending Dirk in DAL and ZBo in the MEM game.

He should learn to hold his ground on defense and rebounding without committing a lot of fouls. Maybe this year the refs will be kinder to him. He should defend the same way even if he's not getting touches.

I think coaches can help him by calling for post opportunities for him. If he knows he will get his touches, he will not try to force it so much.

18. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Hopefully Mchale can take the next step in his coaching, by learning to play young talent, and not pull them for every little mistake.

19. bmd

bmd Member

One thing that hurts about having so few veterans on the team is that the young players progress more slowly.

Veterans help the young guys in a way coaches really can't.

20. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

happy for d mo but he still gets allot of fouls so he need to continue working on that if he wants consistent minutes. Rebounding seems better and offensively he looks more relaxed