1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michigan Students Force University To Cancel Screening of 'American Sniper'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mr. 13 in 33, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

no one ever remembers what she was in.

[​IMG]

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

dude, she doesn't look like that in real life

3. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

[​IMG]

5. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

[​IMG]

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

A petition of 300 at a university of 50,000. Sounds legit.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

For a single event that will probably only garner 100 - 500 it's actually pretty solid. Requiring 10,000 - 15,000 signatures would probably ensure that no petition ever gets considered.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't watch Archer. I guess that's the other thing, everybody else did. So people were coming by and asking for autographs and pictures, I was like wow, she must really be famous!

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't see the big deal because I don't see this as censorship. 300 signatures doesn't really constitute pressure. It looks like the university flipped because they agreed with the argument. Since it was their freedom of speech that was being exercised in screening the movie, it's also their choice to not show it. If Young Americans for Freedom wanted to screen the movie from their own coffers, I'm sure no one would be stopping them.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Precious snowflake update

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is a total non-story.

That said, I do think it's hilarious that they chose to replace the movie with Paddington....

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I feel like Paddington perpetuates stuffed animal stereotypes that they have stuffing for brains and are incapable of functioning in the real world.

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

pwn3d

Michigan flip flops and will show it

14. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Exactly. You have to have exposure to all perspectives, regardless of your opinion. I think the only time you have to ban something is if it's truly offensive, or - hey - you designate it "for mature audiences only."

And what bothers me about the liberal response to this film- just as the conservative response to Million Dollar Baby bothered me- is that what Eastwood is doing is presenting these stories from these characters' point of view. Kind of like the "the views in this film do not represent the views of..." Now, in some cases, yes, we know clearly a director's take on a topic (Spielberg- Schindler's List), but in other cases, it's about the audience interpretation. I can do a movie about euthanasia without agreeing with it, as well as a movie about a global conflict that I don't see eye-to-eye with.

And I respect Clint because he sticks it to both conservatives and liberals who try to pigeonhole him on his films. He presents the story in the most compelling way he knows, and it's up to the reader to make the decision/judgment. Unforgiven, Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, and American Sniper are all centered around individuals making unpopular decisions. It it to Eastwood's credit that he can make a conservative sympathize with Frankie Dunn (..Baby) and a liberal sympathize with Chris Kyle.

15. Nook

Nook Member

No he was a hero. He was an amazing soldier that was extremely good at his job. He served multiple tours and risked his life fighting for his country. He was like many people, very complicated and I don't agree with all of his opinions, but he deserves admiration and appreciation for his level of sacrifice.

Not all heroes are perfect or even great at everything.

16. Nook

Nook Member

They need to do a movie of just your sexual exploits... And your owl that attracted a long list of pliable sexual partners.