1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Race] How Clever...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Jan 25, 2016.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Oh, man...you really don't know know the story. Move along.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The thing I love about D&D is you jump in on a reply that wasn't made to you, then tell me to move along. Umm, don't involve yourself. Simple solution.

3. DCkid

Huh, didn't realize there was a rule to only respond to people who respond to you.

And "move along" because you appear to be completely ignorant of the story and don't seem to have anything valuable to add.

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

There isn't a rule. It just makes you look like a r****d.

5. DCkid

I see I'm posting to a 10 year old. Thought I was talking to someone with above an elementary level education. You're right...joke is on me

1 person likes this.
  6. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I agree with DC here - it appears that you haven't kept up with the actual story.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Maybe maybe no

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You have a point but that is...well it's the world we live in now.

If you do something that gets on social media then it can't be taken back. I mean it is what it is, the only solution is to ask these companies (Twitter/Facebook/ etc etc) to better police their users.

It's the nets though, the best way to avoid internet bullying in a case like this is to not do something stupid like this.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Case in point... the "fappening" (and less well-known selfies distributed all over the internet).

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

As others have alluded to, the letters were put on their shirts for a more official school photo. A subset of the girls involved rearranged themselves to spell a slur. The only work involved was figuring out what words could be spelled with the letters available, and convincing the corresponding girls to cooperate.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Damn that sucks. I guess it seemed like a harmless joke at the time considering the context. I guess in hindsight they could have used better judgement, but I certainly did plenty of stupid things back in high school due to peer pressure. Pretty amazing how quickly you can get your life ruined today with social media.

12. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

i'm in no way absolving fault here - the girls did something really stupid and definitely should be punished - I think the 5 day suspension is enough though. However many people are wanting more and even so much as calling for the school principal to be fired even though he had absolutely nothing to do with the incident other than also being on the school property at the time.

13. TheresTheDagger

People are still offended by this story? I mean come on. This is 2016. We need to move on to the next offensive thing. This is so last week.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I believe there is a subtext to some racial complainants that entail their simply wanting to publicly disenfranchise the most successful or "privileged" person possible. Either that or just completely lacking any sense of proportional recourse.

15. dback816

dback816 Member

16. Buck Turgidson

They didn't have enough friends to spell "[asian slur] with chip on shoulder".

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's asian slur apathy. They don't get the views on Instagram.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If this was indeed the boyfriend idea, there was no ill intent. There was no racism. There is either or both a lack of understanding of what the word means (ignorance) and a lack of foresight on the fallout (low social awareness). Lacking foresight is quite common for kids of this age. Ignorance of this word is surprising, but might be refreshing as well (if kids today don't think of it as offensive because it belong to past history).

19. DCkid

Agreed, but I think what played the biggest part is the African American boy was the one who had the idea. Like, this must not be too offensive if he's the one orchestrating it.

One of these girls has an African American boyfriend. Wouldn't be surprised if they used the word in a joking manner to each other.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Really? 'r****d'?