1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Friedman] What we Know

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Joe Joe, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/five-things-weve-learned-through-five-games
    A good summary of information from the preseason so far. I like that he tries not to get too excited or too down in the preseason.

The highlights from article are, IMO,:
    1. Asik is most needed Rocket to be on the floor
    2. McHale wants a 9-10 man rotation with the amount of running the Rockets will do.

#1 Joe Joe, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. deshen

deshen Member

nice, thank you.

3. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Love what Asik and Martin have been doing. Parsosn and Patterson are improving too, great to see. Lin is the x factor on this team.

Besides our starting 5. Delfino and Jones are booked for back up spots. Its going to be really interesting to see who can grab the final spots between - Machado, Livingston, Douglas, Lamb, Morris, White and D-MO.

They 7 of them will be fighting for 2-3 spots.

4. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

The only ones outside of the starters that I think are a lock so far are Jones and Delfino. Douglas is looking real good with Machado playing catch up. Lamb needs a bit more consistency as does Motiejunas. Sad to say White needs to play catch up and the only way I think he'll find minutes is if Parsons/Delfino/Patterson/Jones gets into foul trouble. If he dazzles during this opportunity we'll probably be looking at a 10-11 man rotation.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The Rockets season hinges on Omer Asik.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

good stuff

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Definitely agree. I don't see the Rockets making the playoffs, but it would be nice to have solid defense.

8. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I like the stuff you quoted. Lin has been playing tentatively in several moments when I thought he coulda been more aggressive. The can we get more shots for Kevin question is not a good sign for his growth as a PG imo. He can't worry about satisfying one particular person, gotta get it to the open man especially with the way McHale wants the offense run. I can't blame him too much though, I'm pretty sure Woodson drilled it into him to get the ball to Melo.

Asik's been a real revelation. I didn't think he could keep up his playing style for more than 20 minutes a game, but it looks like he's got energy to spare. He doesn't look as frantic, and seems like he is doing a better job of pacing himself. The assurance of playing time might have helped in that aspect. If he can stay healthy and give us 35 minutes a night, I see a 16 and 10 year from him plus some excellent defense (just please stay out of foul trouble)

9. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

It will be interesting to see what the rotation will be come the 31st at the Palace.

We know the starting 5, know Delfino and Jones will be in the rotation and also either Douglas or Machado. That's 8 guys with only two spot left. You figure one of those spots will be for a big and the other for a wing.

In the running for a wing spot would be Lamb, Morris and Livingston
    In the running for a big spot would be Motiejunas and White

I think Motiejunas and Morris get those last 2 spots with Lamb and Livingston rounding out the 12 man roster.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Douglas is already in the rotation. Morris is also competing at the big spot. I think it will be a 9.5 man rotation. I am hoping Lamb and Motiejunas win last spot and a half, but think it may be Morris and Lamb.

11. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

I don't think he's trying to satisfy one player. He's trying to get it to the player who's playing hot right now and Martin definitely is that player. That is what a PG should do.

12. Snoopy51

Snoopy51 Member

I have another theory. Lin is trying to mininize his turnover! He is experimenting now with a different setup. He knows he can play aggressive!

13. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

McHale's rotation for the current roster in the reg season..

Lin - Douglas
    Martin - Delfino - Lamb
    Parsons - Delfino - Morris
    Patterson - Jones - Morris - Dmo
    Asik - DMo - Jones

Jones will get the most solid minutes among all the 4 rooks.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Why would the season hinge on the guy backing up Dwight Howard?

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Lin - Douglas
    Martin - Delfino - Douglas - Lamb
    Parsons - Delfino - Morris
    Patterson - Jones - Morris
    Asik - Patterson - Jones

I see Douglas getting some work at the 2. DMo, IMO, will get spot out of the rotation minutes. If he makes rotation, one of either Morris and Lamb won't.

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

The downside of the season hinges on Asik. If he gets injured, the team will be very lucky to win 30 games.

The upside of the season hinges on Lin. If he plays to the absolute high side of his potential, which at this point is the highest on the team given what he has already shown in actual NBA play, the team could make the playoffs and win 45+ games.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Huh? If Asik gets injured for season, Rockets are looking at a 20 win season at max and that may be generous. Nothing Lin can do about 48 minutes without a center. Rockets need Asik's defense and rebounding.

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

That's pretty much what I just said. 20 win max. Very lucky to win 30. Whatever.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

While Asik is important, perhaps our most important player, his absence would not cost us 15-20 games (guessing we win 35-40 games with him in the lineup).

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Lin - Douglas
    Martin - Delfino
    Parsons - Delfino
    Patterson - Jones - Dmo
    Asik - DMo - Jones

I dont see Lamb or Morris in the rotation initially. Contrary to what many are saying, I see a 9 man rotation to begin with. Morris being the 10th on occasion.