1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you consider a QB change at this point?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Eric Riley, Oct 9, 2014.

?

Would you consider a QB change at this point?

1. Yes - Bring in Mallett or Savage

146 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. No - Stick with Fitzpatrick as the starter (for now)

79 vote(s)
    35.1%
  1. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

If the Texans coaching staff want to start Fitzpatrick and keep Mallett and Savage on the sidelines because they don't have enough trust in the backups, then I trust their judgement.

Still, I'm curious to see what the general opinion is here regarding Fitzpatrick. Would you stick with him as the starter? Or should there be a change?

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We're not in tank mode yet, if we lose to the Steelers on Monday Night Football then we can go nuts, but till then, we still have a shot at the playoffs.

3. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Keep playing Fitz... get a good pick in the upcoming QB buffet.

4. Tuan

Tuan Member

Well, do you guys really think Mallet would do all that much better?

Our offensive line sucks! Mallet isnt even as mobile as Fitz.

Until the Texans figure out how to pass block, it doesnt matter who is playing QB for us.

1 person likes this.
  5. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I pick whichever one helps us get Mariota.

6. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

while i agree the OL sucks, but fitz has poor pocket awareness & always seems to step into the DL. a better qb can slide around to buy more time.

7. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

That's what I think. The O-Line just flat out sucks. It's no wonder Fitz barely gets any pocket protection (I was literally counting the seconds of protection he was getting versus Luck and it wasn't even close) and we have so many 3 and outs.

Still, it doesn't help that Fitzpatrick is one of mediocrest of mediocre QBs. It would help if he had more to his game (a little more mobility or awareness).

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well we don't have a QB like that on our roster. Mallett is a statue and Savage isn't ready.

9. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

it doesnt matter if you are a statue. it's all about a feel for the pocket & pass rush. fitz is poor in both of those areas.

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

We are 3-3... no reason to panic just yet...This is a good football team that lost to a team that just ran quickly out the gate...Sure Fitz isnt the most ideal QB, but switching at the helm may not be the best idea...Fitz and Andre need to get timing routes fixed for the next 11 days..

This is the next stretch of games for the Colts:
    vs Bengals(who is playing Carolina this weekend)
    @Steelers(who will be playing a well rested Texans team, return of Clowney)
    @Giants (who will be playing off a bye weekend)
    vs Patriots(both the teams will be coming off a bye)

Ours:
    @Steelers (playing @ Browns this weekend)
    @Titans (playing @Washington week b4, and playing us before their bye)
    vs Eagles(playing @Arizona a week before
    @Browns( playing @Cincy week before)

If we can go 3-1 and they go 2-2...both of us are tied 6-4 going into the last 6 games...with one more rematch at their place...

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't mean he was a statue in that he's just slow, he has no pocket presence either, he just stands in one spot and throws.....or gets sacked. Given this O line, it would be a whole lot of getting sacked, or getting hit while he was throwing leading to tons of picks. Fitz isn't great, but he was good enough tonight if the Defense showed up to play in the 1st quarter.

12. JazzLakerHater

Us... Winning in in Indianapolis

13. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

cant really speak to mallett's pocket awareness. havent really seen the guy play.

im not even mad at fitz. my disappointment is at andre.

he talks a big game about winning, but sh!ts the bed in crunch time.

jjo and cush are awful & will be cut.

14. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

No doubt we have one of the worse QB situations in the league. Mallet and Savage are unknowns so I don't think most who are calling for a change are thinking they are the "saviors" of this franchise, but we already know what we have in Fitz. He makes horrible decisions and was careless on that last play. He may be mobile but his bone head plays lose more games than his mobility wins games for the team. Fitz is a less talented Romo. You just know a back breaking TO is around the corner with him.

15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

After losing in Dallas I'm really disappointed in these players that choked again. Andre's fumble really pissed me off because this is the second one this year. But Fitzpatrick put a dagger in everyone's heart. That pre game speech he screamed before Buffalo game is all bull crap.

16. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

It's a punt at QB either way, might as well find out if Mallet's worth extending as a future backup.

17. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I see 3-1 in being hard.

Steelers - pretty good team at home. will be challenging.
    Titans - probably a win
    Eagles - imo best offense in the league..
    Browns - they are tough with their new look this year.

18. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

I agree with most of what you said, but the Eagles are far from the best offense in the league because thave major question marks at O-Line with 3 starters being injured and McCoy looking poor in every game this year. They do have the potential to be a great offense but haven't shown it thus far.

Their special teams on the other hand has looked fantastic, blocking several punts and scoring several TDs so far. I hope they win their division and destroy the cowboys twice.

19. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I must say though that whoever they put under center, the o-line needs to step it up.

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

If the Texans had an offensive line, this thread wouldnt exist.

No QB in the league has a chance at success when your "Pro Bowl" LT is trying to do his best 2013 Derek Newton impersonation. The line is a complete mess right now.