1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Leader of this team is....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ced, Jan 4, 2009.

Tags:
  1. ced

ced Contributing Member

Rafer.....

I hate to say it, because I wish our best players were our leader but sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

I have more respect for him because of how he fights and plays even if he isn't the most skilled player on the floor. The days of running things through T-Mac all the time are gone. I think by allowing Rafer to get everyone going, you will see a more energized team who may even get a few fastbreak points.
    Think about it, every Adelman coached team ran their offense through their point guard. He doesn't have to be the "playmaker" but it allows everyone else to make cuts and get open for easy shots.

Besides if this team take take on the fight of him and Artest maybe we can establish some identity.

2. bushbush1988

bushbush1988 Member

you have vocal leaders --- rafer

and action leaders --- yao and artest

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

saying there is a leader of this team is like saying Slim Pickens was guiding the warhead.

4. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

sure why not

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The team is leaderless right now.

6. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

The real leader of this team in the voice of Mutombo from what Yao has said in locker rooms. He said when Deke is not around things sound different.

7. diegot143

diegot143 Member

8. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

LOL, you are kidding yourself if you think Yao is anywhere close to a leader on this team.

Rafer has been the leader here for some time now.

...Which is scary.

9. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

lol, he is a leader, he lead by example.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This team has no real leader (including the coach), which is part of the problem.

The terms "action leaders" and "vocal leaders" don't mean anything. One is only a leader if others follow. As one person said, "He who leads and nobody follows is just taking a walk".

Rafer can yap all he wants, but if the other players don't respect what he says, he is no "vocal leader" at all. He's just a talker.

Yao and Ron can play hard, but if it doesn't cause the other players to respond in kind, they are just playing hard.

Leaders cause others to respond and act accordingly on a regular basis. That's what defines leadership. Coach Adelman is in a leadership position, but since the players often do their own thing without consequences, he is not the leader.

The player that has the greatest influence on the others is Tracy. He kills the offense by stopping the ball. He kills the defensive intensity by not trying hard. When he plays hard and leaves it all out on the floor, the other players respond in kind.

Conclusion: Tracy is the leader by default because he influences the others more than anyone else. This is why the Rockets are hostage to his mood swings and lack of effort. Maybe we can hope for a miracle that Deke will influence (lead) Tracy back to being a productive player.

11. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

12. ced

ced Contributing Member

I do agree that he leads by example, but I think you have to be able to do both (lead by example and call you out if you are not doing your job).

Look at every championship team and you will find that. Even Tim Duncan, as quiet as he is, voices his opinion to his teammates when he feels that it is needed.

Also you have to have that "dog" in you to be a true leader and that is something that I still haven't seen from Yao. It's that same "dog" mentality that Artest was talking about that T-Mac needs to play with.

13. yaorta

yaorta Member

if everyone in rox could be a leader in different people's eyes, it's merely proven there's actually no leader in this team. because everyone has one or some characteristics of a true leader, but no one has all. that's why we find out different leaders in different games, but no paticular one can lead constantly, which is what we are keeping suffering for these year.

14. ced

ced Contributing Member

I think given the chance the team will follow him. He is not just yapping at the mouth. He goes out and plays hard every night. Like I said earlier, he is not the most skilled player, but I think that he comes and fights for his team every night. Some of the lack of skills he gets killed for not having he may never get, but when it gets down to a "dog fight" I've never seen him back down.

15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

How on earth can Rafer be the leader.
    He brings the ball down the court and passes to Tracy Mc Grady. McGrady then makes the decission as to wether he will shoot it or find someone to pass it to.
    Rafer is not a good decission maker, that is why he is mostly looking for his own shot :p
    He does have good team spirit though!

16. bushbush1988

bushbush1988 Member

yao is a leader by example...I am very sure you see this type of leaders in real life too. In a team or a company or any group, there is often someone who inspires the rest not by his words, but by his efforts and actions.

17. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Sounds more like employee of the month rather than a leader.

18. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Does that make Rafer our best cheerleader?

19. tomjc

tomjc Member

Ron Artest leader of the team, I called it a month ago.

20. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

what the hell does bringing the ball up the court have to do with being the leader?..

From personal experiences the leader never has to be the best player on the court - and in fact you'd hope it isn't because that's just another pressure the best player has on their shoulders.

During our State and National Championships during high school - our team had a 6'9 C who dominated everyone and a SG who had a contract with an NBL team when he was 17. Neither of them were vocal though.

From my personal experience - i think a PG should be the leader of any team. They should already know where other players are going to be - they should know where other players like the ball. It's a part of their job description.
    They need to be vocal on offense so i don't see how it's difficult to transfer that 'leadership' over to the defensive end. Talk on every possession - tell players where the screen is coming from, tell players where the screen isn't coming from. Always slide over when a player is taken out of their spot and help. Go down low and help the big fella when they need it. ALWAYS TALKING and encouraging. That in itself is what makes a leader of a basketball team to me.

Knowing how to get the best and motivate other players on your team - even if they are ten times greater than you.