1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Linsanity! ...the ice cream?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tchou, Feb 24, 2012.

1. tchou

tchou Contributing Member

Brought to you by the ever-vocal Ben & Jerry's:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-ben-jerrys-releases-jeremy-lin-ice-cream-flavor-20120224,0,6221795.story

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Lice Cream?

3. Fostate

Fostate Member

Is this it?

[​IMG]

4. jacoby

jacoby Member

Why not sell it in NYC?

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Talk about milking the cash cow.

McDonalds should make a McLin Burger.

6. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

Seem racist?

Ahh, now I'm craving the Jimmy Fallon Late Night ice cream, so good!

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

Isn't Gallery Furniture selling Lin sofas now?

galleryfurnituresavesyoumoney!

8. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i'd be shocked if they put fortune cookies in it after someone already got in trouble for making a fortune cookie reference towards lin.

also, why only in boston???

9. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

but it does sound delicious, especially with fortune cookies

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

11. Manny33

Manny33 Member

LOL, just saw this after searching Lin and "chink in the armour." I didn't realise Lin's success was creating such an uproar until my friend mentioned it. I remember the furore when a commentator described Yao as the Chinaman, after a dunk. I'm sure there's a thread here about it and personally I was a little shocked at the time myself. From very limited experience, "Asian" Americans seem very sensitive and Lin doing so well is bringing the issue to the fore. For example I'm happy to call myself Oriental, but apparently that is a big no no in North America.

12. ruhroh

ruhroh Member

Huh? I don't know where you got calling yourself an oriental is a big no no...

It seems like maybe you're not aware of the negative connotations surrounding racial slurs?

I am personally not furious about the fortune cookie thing but I can see how people might get upset. Also, that sounds like a horrible choice of ingredients to include in ice cream.

13. Manny33

Manny33 Member

Sorry, I did say from very limited experience.. from an American "Asian" friend of a Korean friend of ours. I think he was American born Korean. He took great pains to explain to us that "Oriental" is viewed in a bad light in the US. The word suggests an object, like Oriental rug; and he would prefer to be called Asian. We, British born Chinese, would not classify ourselves as Asian, but Oriental.

I remember the Yao Ming "Chinaman" dunk and thought "did he really say that?" I don't like being called a "chinky," or people saying they're going to get a "chinky", but see "chink in the armour" as a saying. It's a bit out there, an obvious pun etc; but when I heard about it, I didn't think it was meant pejoratively racially.

The idea of fortune cookies suggest ignorance rather than racism.